PDA

View Full Version : picture request - 15x8 +35 offset

Importordomestic
10-14-2009, 12:09 PM
anyone running or have a picture of a 15x8 with a +35 offset under a 3G?

I run auto x and circuit, and wondered what the 15x8 with a 225/50 or 45/r15tire looks like. (also interested in the 16x8 as there are more tire choices) im currently running a 215/45/15 on a 15x7 but every little bit helps. :rolleyes:

If you have this tire and rim combo or currently run it, did you have to flare the fenders and quarters at all?

Thank's

Hash_man_Se_i
10-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I currently don't know of anyone on the board running an agressive setup like that, please chime in if you are. However I am running 15x7 +27mm offset with a 195/50/15 and had to roll my fenders in the rear quite a bit, so I would imagine some agressive rolling would be required for that setup, I would imagine it would fit decent though.

Strugglebucket
10-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Is it the 949 wheels that you're thinking of? Cause those are the ones I have my eye on. The new hankook rs3 comes in a 225/45/15. I think it would fit perfect.

Importordomestic
10-14-2009, 05:36 PM
I currently don't know of anyone on the board running an agressive setup like that, please chime in if you are. However I am running 15x7 +27mm offset with a 195/50/15 and had to roll my fenders in the rear quite a bit, so I would imagine some agressive rolling would be required for that setup, I would imagine it would fit decent though.

If you are running a 15x7 with a +27 and you had to roll the fenders what type of clearance do you have between the back of the rim and the knuckle?

No matter what I do I am goign to have to drop a load of cash to get rims this size and I want to make real sure they are going to fit with the rubber on them.

Importordomestic
10-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Is it the 949 wheels that you're thinking of? Cause those are the ones I have my eye on. The new hankook rs3 comes in a 225/45/15. I think it would fit perfect.

Never heard of those rims but Im looking at them now ;) However I am looking at the hankook rs3.

86ccord
10-14-2009, 07:04 PM
hah its all about the CCW classic fours son!!!!!

A18A
10-14-2009, 07:20 PM
i have 15x7 with 35mm offset i think? but i have 205/55 tyres. those are them in my sig VV

Civic Accord Honda
10-14-2009, 07:25 PM

but you also have one very slammed 3g ^_^
at stock 3g height u could probably fit some 32" mudders :lol::lol:

Importordomestic
10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
According to my best calculations it will fit under the car. i should have 1/2'' clearance between the rim and the knuckle in the front and a 1/4'' at the knuckle and sidewall. The rears should clearance no problem. BUt yeah it will take an agressive fender roll and possible extension to tuck these puppies in under the car.

oh and these are the rims im going to use: http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=34

Rim and tire calculator allows for side by side comparison - http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

Hash_man_Se_i
10-14-2009, 09:54 PM
If you are running a 15x7 with a +27 and you had to roll the fenders what type of clearance do you have between the back of the rim and the knuckle?

No matter what I do I am goign to have to drop a load of cash to get rims this size and I want to make real sure they are going to fit with the rubber on them.

I will double check the clearance tommorow, and snap a pic too, but I believe there is plenty, and yes my car is very low lol.

I like the choice in wheels, should look really good on a 3g.

Rendon LX-i
10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
im 15x8 with 205/50/15.....RIDES perfect. you can put a sheet of paper on the rear....LOL thats how much gap from tire to fender.

with a 2 3/4 drop on front and 2.5 in the rear.....custom status LOL....Eibach made there springs so the front end was higher...i didnt like it so i cut a link and a half off and looked clean. repainted them red and bam. rides good even drop a bit more when it settled.

Importordomestic
10-15-2009, 05:28 AM
I will double check the clearance tommorow, and snap a pic too, but I believe there is plenty, and yes my car is very low lol.

I like the choice in wheels, should look really good on a 3g.

Oh thanks alot man. The pictures will really help alot. And as for the rim they were the best style for the price I could find. Konig makes one called the rewind that looks almost identical. The rewinds are a little cheaper Alot of the Mini cooper guys run but I just like the Rotas better.

Importordomestic
10-15-2009, 05:53 AM
im 15x8 with 205/50/15.....RIDES perfect. you can put a sheet of paper on the rear....LOL thats how much gap from tire to fender.

with a 2 3/4 drop on front and 2.5 in the rear.....custom status LOL....Eibach made there springs so the front end was higher...i didnt like it so i cut a link and a half off and looked clean. repainted them red and bam. rides good even drop a bit more when it settled.

If your close with a 205/50/15 i know im giogn to have to roll the lip with a 225/45 or 50/15

My car is lowered as well which is a major concearn for me. But seeing that you have such an agressive drop compared to mine and manage to tuk them under the fender i wont have any issues. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replys guys. I am giogn to stay the course and move forward with the rotas. I will keep you guys updated. still up for pictures tho.

thanks

Rendon LX-i
10-15-2009, 06:44 AM
O yea you would have to roll the rear lip...i had to.

Importordomestic
10-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Im not lookingforward to the fender roll, gogin to chip my memphis pearl blue paint.

now its on to my next project. 11.75 wilwood rotor and 4 piston caliper. Going to give Brian at fastbrakes a call see what he can drum up for me.

Oldblueaccord
10-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't think you will be able to fit them under a 15" wheel but Brian would no for sure.

wp

Importordomestic
10-16-2009, 03:57 AM
I don't think you will be able to fit them under a 15" wheel but Brian would no for sure.

wp

I called Brian yesterday after my post before, and he has a way to piece a kit together for me that will fit. 11.75'' 2 piece rotor using a civic 4x100 hat using the superlite caliper. And at a great price of 1,300 :uh:

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2009, 06:49 AM
I called Brian yesterday after my post before, and he has a way to piece a kit together for me that will fit. 11.75'' 2 piece rotor using a civic 4x100 hat using the superlite caliper. And at a great price of 1,300 :uh:

I went through this very issue a few months back. I ended up calling the boys over at Wilwood directly and we came to the same conclusion of using the Civic tophat, and the (don't quote me on this, I need to go back to my notes to confirm) rest of the Miata kit with the superlite on the 12" (I think) rotor. The relocation bracket is the only obstacle to overcome, but the Civic bracket may work with minor relocation.

As for the wheels/tires... Those Rota's should treat you nice, and as you mentioned I've heard of and personally seen great success in the Konig Rewinds. To be honest, an ET+38 on a 15x7 is a very very tight fit to the fenders. It's pretty much a guarantee you'll be rolling the fender lip for clearance. If you did go with the extra 1/2 inch (15x8 as opposed to 15x7.5 or 15x7) IMO you're flirting with knuckle-rub. As for tire size, a 225/50 is substantially oversized (in diameter) to stock. A 215/45 or even 225/45 is a little closer to stock, but still oversized.

Good luck with whatever you do. This should be an interesting project indeed.

What suspension setup are you currently running?

Here's a shot (for what it's worth) (oh and please please please don't knock me on the car being soooo dirty) of my Konig's ET +38 15x7 with 205/50-15 Kumho VictorRacer V700's. I would have gone with their 7.5, but it's only available in ET +0 so there was NO way it'd fit and the tire would have looked stupid.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/mark_mdz/3G/IMG_1033.jpg

Importordomestic
10-30-2009, 07:16 AM
I went through this very issue a few months back. I ended up calling the boys over at Wilwood directly and we came to the same conclusion of using the Civic tophat, and the (don't quote me on this, I need to go back to my notes to confirm) rest of the Miata kit with the superlite on the 12" (I think) rotor. The relocation bracket is the only obstacle to overcome, but the Civic bracket may work with minor relocation.

As for the wheels/tires... Those Rota's should treat you nice, and as you mentioned I've heard of and personally seen great success in the Konig Rewinds. To be honest, an ET+38 on a 15x7 is a very very tight fit to the fenders. It's pretty much a guarantee you'll be rolling the fender lip for clearance. If you did go with the extra 1/2 inch (15x8 as opposed to 15x7.5 or 15x7) IMO you're flirting with knuckle-rub. As for tire size, a 225/50 is substantially oversized (in diameter) to stock. A 215/45 or even 225/45 is a little closer to stock, but still oversized.

Good luck with whatever you do. This should be an interesting project indeed.

What suspension setup are you currently running?

Here's a shot (for what it's worth) (oh and please please please don't knock me on the car being soooo dirty) of my Konig's ET +38 15x7 with 205/50-15 Kumho VictorRacer V700's. I would have gone with their 7.5, but it's only available in ET +0 so there was NO way it'd fit and the tire would have looked stupid.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/mark_mdz/3G/IMG_1033.jpg

Well thank you kind sir for all your input and i would not intentionally nock anyones car. I get shit all the time for my 3g at the track, and it makes it that much better when i pass the porsche in the corner.

Those tires look great under your hatch. I have my rotas in got them in monday. But I dont have rubber on them yet. Right now im inda torn on what to put on them. Im definately going with the 225/x/15 i have 3 choices really
hoosier a6 competition slick 225/45/15 The treaded Rs3 225/45/15 or the more variety kind of zr rated tire of 225/50/15 (many more treaded tire choices in this size)

im leaning more towards the hoosier a6 tire as im about to have my ls vtec turbo ( i have a build thread coming real soon) finished and will need a super grip tire

yes the 225/50/15 will give me around a 2.8% difference in speedometer reading and it is bigger but the rim should only sit 8mm closer to the suspension and stick out almost an entire inch. i will have some pics of the rim on the car later this weekend.

Do you have a picture of the 12 inch rotor inside your 15 wheel? 11.75 is fine with me the brakes will be completely retarted combined with the 11inch rear rotors and the massive amounts of rubber under the car. My big issue now is the brake master cylinder. cant decide to keep the power brakes and go to a 1inch master from the 4th gen accord or do away with it all together and run dual master cylinders with a balance bar.

also on my list is some type of ducting to bring forced air to the brakes as I love endurance races and i have yet to be able to run one all out the whole time due to brake fade.

my suspension setup:

1997 honda crv weaponR dual spring coilovers around a spring rate of 8modded top hat to fit accord with re-valved tokiko blues. all new oem factory bushings and ball joints. 87 front prelude upper control arms adjustable rear links for camber and custom toe links for rear tow. ST front sway bar poly links 24mm, Progress Technology rear 22mm sway bar fro the 4th gen accord. and also run the ST rear bar 16mm when I go to a bigger track.
- im looking to go to ksports full bodied ciolovers in a year or so just so i can have more spring rates and adjustable suspension like ive never had before.

any more questions please feel free to ask, im not secretive about my car and ill take pictures or help in any way I can. I would love to meet another 3 g on the track one day.

ps i have parts for sale: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70825

Rendon LX-i
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Other way Instead of rolling the fender is cutting that lip. Alot of people with civics take there cars to a auto body shop have them cut it away. which is prolly easyer then rolling. just tape and get a dremel and cut away.....thats what my brother did to half the civic he painted. This is on the rear BTW

thegreatdane
10-30-2009, 11:19 AM
DON'T get 225 tires if you're not willing to roll your rear fenders! I'm currently running 225 tires on ET38 rims and theres no way in hell they clear without a good bit of rolling.

Importordomestic
10-30-2009, 01:53 PM
DON'T get 225 tires if you're not willing to roll your rear fenders! I'm currently running 225 tires on ET38 rims and theres no way in hell they clear without a good bit of rolling.

I'm sorry if I came across as not wanting to roll the fenders, I am willing to do anything that it takes to put that tire under my car. I have rolled fenders before I was just curious of what it would look like with or without rolled fenders.

OH and your white rotas that you have on your sedan look so freakin good!!
your car looks so nice, everytime I see your sig It makes me want a EDM front end. I imagine the front is a few pounds lighter as well.

I wonder If i could talk one of you guys into shipping me a pair of fenders, hood, markers and headlights?

markmdz89hatch
10-31-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm sorry if I came across as not wanting to roll the fenders, I am willing to do anything that it takes to put that tire under my car. I have rolled fenders before I was just curious of what it would look like with or without rolled fenders.

your car looks so nice, everytime I see your sig It makes me want a EDM front end. I imagine the front is a few pounds lighter as well.

I wonder If i could talk one of you guys into shipping me a pair of fenders, hood, markers and headlights?

I do know one of our members that has an EDM front end may be willing to do this for you if you're seriously interested.

As for the lip, like what Ren said, I do like the idea of cutting it. ...I cut mine partially (about half the length) and rolled the rest. My only gripes about rolling it is that it creates a rain gutter where a lot of crap can get caught in it and cause things to rust out a bit faster. Just for clarification, you shouldn't need to roll the front fenders, just the rears. I'm not sure if you've considered it, but the 225's up front will keep your front glued to the ground, and a 205 out back would still give you plenty of traction, but you'll be dragging around a bit less mass back there. ...and that should allow you to get away with an ET+38 out back without rolling (or at least without rolling too much).

I'm really excited to see this project of yours with those monster wide tires stuffed under there, and see your car out there at an HPDE.

Oh and I don't have that Wilwood setup just yet. I'm waiting for funds to allow. ...but theoretically they'll fit under a 15" wheel. If not, 16" is going to be an option for me, but absolutely nothing bigger. I like the idea of the 15"s because I have a (seemingly) endless supply of 1-event used R comps (Ecsta V710's) at a great price but only in 205/50-15. ...so for Auto-X and a few track days I should be able to get nearly a full season out of one set of tires.

Importordomestic
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
I do know one of our members that has an EDM front end may be willing to do this for you if you're seriously interested.

As for the lip, like what Ren said, I do like the idea of cutting it. ...I cut mine partially (about half the length) and rolled the rest. My only gripes about rolling it is that it creates a rain gutter where a lot of crap can get caught in it and cause things to rust out a bit faster. Just for clarification, you shouldn't need to roll the front fenders, just the rears. I'm not sure if you've considered it, but the 225's up front will keep your front glued to the ground, and a 205 out back would still give you plenty of traction, but you'll be dragging around a bit less mass back there. ...and that should allow you to get away with an ET+38 out back without rolling (or at least without rolling too much).

I'm really excited to see this project of yours with those monster wide tires stuffed under there, and see your car out there at an HPDE.

Oh and I don't have that Wilwood setup just yet. I'm waiting for funds to allow. ...but theoretically they'll fit under a 15" wheel. If not, 16" is going to be an option for me, but absolutely nothing bigger. I like the idea of the 15"s because I have a (seemingly) endless supply of 1-event used R comps (Ecsta V710's) at a great price but only in 205/50-15. ...so for Auto-X and a few track days I should be able to get nearly a full season out of one set of tires.

Am I truly interested in a EDM front conversion = YES

I'm goign to try and get away with not cutting the rear lips but it sems the most logical step at the moment. (just got through painting that car for like the 3rd time)going to have to the rear quarters again if i start cutting.)

You bring up an excelent point about running smaller tires in the back will help with understeer as well. If i get a second set of rims I can run that setup. as right now running hoosier a6 racing tires they have to be rotated front to rear between heats.

My project has been in the works for a total of 4 years and recently have a chance to make alot of headway, which is why im mysteriously back posting frantically on 3gz.

Im going to get off my but and start a build thread.

thegreatdane
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM

Haha thanks mate. I suppose the front is marginally lighter yea, but doing it to save weight would be nuts lol.
I think that NZ dude called 3gcvc is your best chance at getting that front end shipped to you. I've seen him ship some crazy large stuff over for people on here and preludepower. They have the same front ends in NZ too.

2ndGenGuy
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah him and Aaron (AccordB20A) shipped me 2 B20A engines in a huge ass box! Took me a whole day just to disassemble and unpack the box! Glorious JDM day though!

Importordomestic
01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
here is an update. I did my homework ran the math figures and it fits! I honestly believe i can go bigger in rim wiidth, with less of a + offset. However i am atomate with staying with 15,s and finding a 245 or 315 tire that fits a 15 rim with a sidewall of 30 - 35 is impossible. for now 225/45/15 is the best I can do. I always run DE events with the local Porsche club. The people there are friendly and extremely willing to help you out. All i can say is the last time i had to work to pass Porsche's now, ZOMG GTFOut of my way its time to flat foot some turns!!

Im actually in a mad crunch time right now as I have to complete 2 more consecutive DE events before i qualify for my NASA competition license for wheel to wheel racing. So Im scrambling to put my new tires and brakes together, also at the same time I am PIT boss for my 2 car team so I have to put an engine back in my teammates Ae86 as he is going to run the same class as me.

rims = ROTA RB 15x8 with a offset of +35
tires = Hancook Ventus RS3's

PICS!!!
Keep in mind that the tires are currently mounted on my moch up car that is identical to my track car. I will have pictures of the car with the tires mounted this weekend when i have good light to give a final shot, and review.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9964/dscf0074u.jpg (http://img63.imageshack.us/i/dscf0074u.jpg/)

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3989/dscf0075f.jpg (http://img63.imageshack.us/i/dscf0075f.jpg/)

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2677/dscf0076.jpg (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/dscf0076.jpg/)

This picture shows the front tire and the true offset if the tire. The way I have my suspension setup, I belive that I will not have to roll my fenders at all. I know for a fact that the rear is going to clear with room to spare. However until i have them mounted on my track car I cant be 100% positive that the front wont have to be slightly rolled. and another note a 225 wide tire is actuall meant to fit on a 7.5 rim. putting the 225/45/15 on a 8'' wide rim gave me 2 advantages. The tire is slightly stretched allowing it to tuck under the fender better. The stretched sidewalls give me quicker response on corner turn in / more preditable tire grip.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7098/dscf0083y.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/dscf0083y.jpg/)

Here I am goign to show you how retarted close to the suspension the tires are. Do diligence payed off here.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8925/dscf0077.jpg (http://img716.imageshack.us/i/dscf0077.jpg/)

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2930/dscf0081no.jpg (http://img690.imageshack.us/i/dscf0081no.jpg/)

The next set shows that i literally have 5 mm to spare between the rim and the tierod lock nut, I belive if the jam nut was turned a little more it might actually rub. In the event thatthat happens i will so grind it down...lol The wheel fully clears lock to lock even when cycled in the suspension travel.

The pics dont capture it that well but there is so much tire in the well that i had to just hold the camera and hope for the best pic. these are the best 2 out of 15 or so.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5306/dscf0080f.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/dscf0080f.jpg/)

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8311/dscf0078.jpg (http://img690.imageshack.us/i/dscf0078.jpg/)

And finally a shot of me and my track car at a DE event at a local circuit track last october. And if you dont know me my name is Nick Brown.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8940/iphone026.jpg (http://img685.imageshack.us/i/iphone026.jpg/)

Importordomestic
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Here are the pictures as promised. and OMG is the traction SICK..

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7820/dscf0109w.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/dscf0109w.jpg/)

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/7251/dscf0110.jpg (http://img693.imageshack.us/i/dscf0110.jpg/)

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8722/dscf0113s.jpg (http://img693.imageshack.us/i/dscf0113s.jpg/)

SZfiftyfour
01-25-2010, 05:40 PM
MMm Beefy :thumbup:. I'm loving the body color too.

turabaka
01-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I've been looking at those tires too. Same size actually. Would it be possible to shove those onto a 7 inch rim, or is 7.5 the smallest I can go? Also is it possible to run 40 offset rims? or is 35 more of the limit? I'm always confused by which direction offset goes. I'm only worried about it hitting the suspension since I can always roll the fenders more if I need to.

Importordomestic
01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
I've been looking at those tires too. Same size actually. Would it be possible to shove those onto a 7 inch rim, or is 7.5 the smallest I can go? Also is it possible to run 40 offset rims? or is 35 more of the limit? I'm always confused by which direction offset goes. I'm only worried about it hitting the suspension since I can always roll the fenders more if I need to.

let me crunch some numbers and i will get right back to you. on the offset.

In actuality a 225 wide tires is made for a 7.5 rim. You can put them on a 7.0 rim but you will fell that the tire is a little spongy on initial turn in. (car will feel a littly floaty or wiggly) ever put passengar car tires on a light truck or van and you will have experiencedthe same thing. Some of the PCA club guys run a 245 tire on a 7.5 rim. But the cars feel exactly as i described.

Importordomestic
01-25-2010, 07:09 PM
MMm Beefy :thumbup:. I'm loving the body color too.

I am a red meat person myself :D

car color: 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Memphis Pearl Blue, I painted it back in 04. wrecked it and repainted the fron end in 2009

Importordomestic
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
let me crunch some numbers and i will get right back to you. on the offset.

In actuality a 225 wide tires is made for a 7.5 rim. You can put them on a 7.0 rim but you will fell that the tire is a little spongy on initial turn in. (car will feel a littly floaty or wiggly) ever put passengar car tires on a light truck or van and you will have experiencedthe same thing. Some of the PCA club guys run a 245 tire on a 7.5 rim. But the cars feel exactly as i described.

EDIT!! i read the numbers wrong.... the back spaceing on my rims is 149mm the back spacing on a 15x7 with a +40 the back spaceing will be 141mm more mm of clearance!! say install them tomorrow and lets see pics!!

on offset clearancing, the higher the offset nuber IE +45 is closer to the suspension while a lower number IE +40 is further away from the suspension.

turabaka
01-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Its not gogin to work with that offset. a 15x7 with a +40 offset puts the rim 0.2 inches closer to the suspension. I know for a fact that will rub on the rear trailing arm. at the same time it will rub on the outter tie rod when you go to turn the wheel lock to lock.

However... If you picked up a 5mm spacer it will clear like a dream. But by adding a spacer it effectively turned it into a +35 offset rim.

on offset clearancing, the higher the offset nuber IE +45 is closer to the suspension while a lower number IE +40 is further away from the suspension.

cool thanks. So 35 is the way to go, or 40 with spacers.

I'm thinking I'll pick up some new rims and tires before the autocross season starts. So, where does everyone shop for their rims?

Importordomestic
01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
cool thanks. So 35 is the way to go, or 40 with spacers.

I'm thinking I'll pick up some new rims and tires before the autocross season starts. So, where does everyone shop for their rims?

sorry to confuse the shit out of you....lol i read the numbers wrong i had to re calculate it 3 more times to make sure i came up with correct numbers.

the 15x7 with a +40 will clear perfectly. the back spacing of my rims is 149mm while the 15x7+40 has a back spacing of 141mm giving you more clearance than my 15x8.

i found my rims on EBAY!!

other wise i have used www.jd-wheels.com