PDA

View Full Version : Tranny swap

canadian357
10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
How long is a transmission swap expected to take a slightly experienced person? What tools do I need? I left myself 2 days off from work next week to do it. I have to pull 2 trannies and install one (getting tranny from donor car). Also, how much more work is a manual swap, and should I just buy a junker tranny instead to save some time?

canadian357
10-15-2009, 09:14 PM
The key here is I wanna do it right. I'm confident in my ability to keep at something until its great, especially with my 3g. I want this one done right, not like my last clusterf*** car. If getting a mechanic to do it significantly more sensible, then I'll suck it up and do it. Oh and does anyone have a suggestion of how to do a gauge pod that isn't ricey?

Vanilla Sky
10-15-2009, 09:18 PM
You can do it over the weekend if you take your time to do things right and with a level head. Make sure you have a transmission jack or you'll be benchpressing that bitch in and out. You do not want to do that. BTDT. You may want to have an impact gun available to bust the axle nuts. Try to take apart as little of the suspension as possible, but take enough apart to make removal easy.

Shen, where are you located?

canadian357
10-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Meh. I just started working again, tranny benchpresses will be good exercise lol :P
I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. So its cold as hell. I'm trying to plan it around the warm snap we're getting right away.
Also, all i have for jacks is a trolley jack, 2 jackstands, and a bottle jack. Can I sub a trolley jack for tranny jack?

ghettogeddy
10-16-2009, 12:33 AM
i can drop one in about 30 mins 5 speed that is takes a lil longer to get up but def doable in a few hours with a helping hand your gona need one to line it up thats the hardest part

man ask messy about the last time we did my tranny lol we almost died by raccoon lol that mofo had it out for us lol

canadian357
10-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Lol, you crazy americans and your non-arctic animals...
Seriously though, its freaking cold already. I've got my $10 boots that are rated to -75C (-103 F) though so I'm all good. I'm really thinking about doing a 5spd swap if I'm going to tackle the tranny... at the same time though, maybe I'll do it in the spring when it warms up and I know what I'm doing. This is the thread with the car's pics. Ended up paying $500 CAD. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=980220&posted=1#post980220

ecogabriel
10-16-2009, 07:13 PM
If donor car is not being driven, then you may get the tranny out first and then take on installing on the other car.
A weekend should be enough; it took us two half-days to get the tranny out -I had to replace the real crank seal - and back in, and without a jack to lift the transmission.
I would suggest replacing the rear crank seal; it would only take 10-15 minutes to take the old one out and the new one in.

Dr_Snooz
10-17-2009, 07:28 AM
with a helping hand your gona need one to line it up thats the hardest part

I'll second this. I installed one without help and got to pull it back out to replace the seal I damaged. I drove around for a couple weeks trailing a big cloud of tranny fluid smoke before finding time to do it too.

canadian357
10-17-2009, 11:00 AM
The donor car is my DD.