PDA

View Full Version : Changing main coolant pipe.

mushroom_toy
10-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Broke some of the pipes off mine while swapping trannies, so had to cut it down and just run the main coolant hose and not the heater hose. I definitely need the heat though as its starting to get cold. I have the other pipe on the other engine, but it looks like theyre flared in the holes, and I dont know how to get them out and get them flared again once I get it in the other hole.

2ndGenGuy
10-16-2009, 08:09 AM
In the hole behind the water pump you mean? All you gotta do make sure that one bolt is out that kinda just holds it in place, and then you can just pull it straight out of that hole... It can be a mega-bitch and takes some force if it's been in there a while... But just rip the fucker out. You don't have to flare anything or use any special tools.

You will need to get a new o-ring for the end of that. It basically just jams in there and the o-ring seals around the outer surface. I don't honestly understand why they don't all leak it seems like a terrible design, but apparently works. Once you pull the bad one off your block, you'll see how it works, put the new o-ring on the newer one and jam it in there.

LX-incredible
10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Be sure to coat the o-ring and bore in RTV, especially if you can't get back there to thoroughly remove the corrosion.

Dr_Snooz
10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
One last tip is to insert the pipe in the hole only enough to bolt it in. l jammed mine in to the stop, put the engine in the car, filled coolant and then mopped up coolant before reinstalling the pipe the hard way. The oring had pushed clean through the hole into the water pump impeller housing.

I share 2ndGenGuy's bewilderment at how this design does not leak, but every Accord since '76 has done it this way so whatever.

mushroom_toy
10-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Im confused looking at the pipe on the engine im rebuilding looked like it was flared in the hole to keep it from leaking? I pulled on that one, but didnt want to break anything so quite yanking. I might pull it out tomorrow then and tackle an installation on sunday maybe, so i have to put the oring on then insert it?

Dr_Snooz
10-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Im confused looking at the pipe on the engine im rebuilding looked like it was flared in the hole to keep it from leaking? I pulled on that one, but didnt want to break anything so quite yanking. I might pull it out tomorrow then and tackle an installation on sunday maybe, so i have to put the oring on then insert it?

There is a flare on the end, but it's just to keep the oring from backing out of the block. It's more of a seat for the oring than anything and it gets eaten away pretty good over time by the coolant (or, more accurately, the lack of coolant changes). The pipe should pull out easily with some bending and twisting. I've always just greased up the new oring good and slid it in. I haven't tried slathering it up with RTV but it seems like a good idea. I've never had a problem with them developing leaks. God knows I've had my share of coolant leaks, but never from there.