PDA

View Full Version : No power to headlights???

scars_of_carma
10-16-2009, 11:08 AM
For those of you that don't know my 86 hatch rear-ended someone and sat for 8 years before I got my hands on it. I've been working on it since late august and started driving it a few weeks ago.

Everything works except for the headlights and front blinkers. I do not have a decent manual for the car yet so it's been a frustrating thing to diagnose. I've checked the underhood and under-dash fuses and none of fuses are bad. I've found 3 relays... the black one on the back of the under-dash fuse box, the silver one in the underhood fuse box and the identical silver one behind the LF headlight. I do not know if these are bad or not.

I should note that I had to remove the original headlights altogether because of the heavy crash damage. The damage, and subsequent weathering sitting in a dirt lot, caused some wiring damage as well. I found 2 big nodes of grounds behind each headlight attached to each inner fender. I had to clean up the passenger side but the drivers side is fine. I attached new ground straps to the transmission and the valve cover and repaired some other miscellaneous grounds.

Despite all this I have NO POWER to the headlights or blinkers. Is there a circuit-breaker somewhere I'm missing??? If I don't get any suggestions I guess I'm just gonna have to wire in a new circuit for the lights.

Any suggestions appreciated :D

Dr_Snooz
10-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I can give you the manual (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html), but that's about it. Maybe it's enough though.

lostforawhile
10-16-2009, 06:53 PM
For those of you that don't know my 86 hatch rear-ended someone and sat for 8 years before I got my hands on it. I've been working on it since late august and started driving it a few weeks ago.

Everything works except for the headlights and front blinkers. I do not have a decent manual for the car yet so it's been a frustrating thing to diagnose. I've checked the underhood and under-dash fuses and none of fuses are bad. I've found 3 relays... the black one on the back of the under-dash fuse box, the silver one in the underhood fuse box and the identical silver one behind the LF headlight. I do not know if these are bad or not.

I should note that I had to remove the original headlights altogether because of the heavy crash damage. The damage, and subsequent weathering sitting in a dirt lot, caused some wiring damage as well. I found 2 big nodes of grounds behind each headlight attached to each inner fender. I had to clean up the passenger side but the drivers side is fine. I attached new ground straps to the transmission and the valve cover and repaired some other miscellaneous grounds.

Despite all this I have NO POWER to the headlights or blinkers. Is there a circuit-breaker somewhere I'm missing??? If I don't get any suggestions I guess I'm just gonna have to wire in a new circuit for the lights.

Any suggestions appreciated :Ddid you check the fusible links in the underhood fuse box? there is one big link that splits into four circuits, each headlight has it's own fuse. also check the big multi pin connectors under the dash and see if they are loose, there are three of them right next to each other.

scars_of_carma
10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I can give you the manual (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html), but that's about it. Maybe it's enough though.

Thanks! ...I've been looking for that :)

did you check the fusible links in the underhood fuse box? there is one big link that splits into four circuits, each headlight has it's own fuse. also check the big multi pin connectors under the dash and see if they are loose, there are three of them right next to each other.

Err... the fuses under the dash are fine. Where is this fusible link in the underhood fuse box exactly? I see the 4 large copper links with the fuses in em but those appear to be fine. I even removed them to be absolutely sure. *shrugs*

scars_of_carma
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Seriously where is this fusible link??? lol

lostforawhile
10-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Seriously where is this fusible link??? lol

sounds like you already checked them, do either your low or high beams work? what about your parking lights?

Vanilla Sky
10-19-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd test out the combo switch. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not working as it should or if it's gotten unplugged at some point. I had one nearly catch fire on my because there was so much crud between the contacts. Cleaned it up and lubed with the proper grease and it was fine for about a year, until I parked that car. I think I sold that combo switch and someone on here is still running it.

scars_of_carma
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
sounds like you already checked them, do either your low or high beams work? what about your parking lights?

Neither low or high-beams work. Parking lights work.

I'd test out the combo switch. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not working as it should or if it's gotten unplugged at some point. I had one nearly catch fire on my because there was so much crud between the contacts. Cleaned it up and lubed with the proper grease and it was fine for about a year, until I parked that car. I think I sold that combo switch and someone on here is still running it.

Already tried that I replaced that whole unit cause my wiper stalk was broken but no change to the headlights.

Vanilla Sky
10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Do the headlights come up when you turn them on?

scars_of_carma
10-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Do the headlights come up when you turn them on?

Heh, no they don't because I no longer have functional pop-up lights. My car rear-ended someone and everything behind the bumper was crushed including the electric motors for the lights. I had to cut everything out with my grinder.

I have new (used) headlight assemblies rigged up but I couldn't mount the little motors where they used to be so I didn't try. I suppose I will have to raise and lower the headlights manually :rolleyes:

Vanilla Sky
10-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd test the connectors for power to see if they would be getting power.

1ajs
10-19-2009, 11:15 PM
u check the contacs on the bulbs for corsion? they could just be dirty thus needing cleaning

scars_of_carma
10-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I'd test the connectors for power to see if they would be getting power.

I did... I unplugged every connector and checked for power all the way to the fuse box. I even dissasembled the damn fuse box in case something was burn out inside its fine as far as I can see.

Something is wrong that's preventing juice being sent through the fuse box to the lights. Either its a bad solenoid or an open somewhere I'm guessing. I just want to make sure I know where all the solenoids are so I don't think I replaced them all when I didn't...

u check the contacs on the bulbs for corsion? they could just be dirty thus needing cleaning

There is no power to the lights period... I determined that after I tried plugging in a few different headlights in case I had some bad ones to begin with.

Anyways I just finished wiring up a new headlight circuit with new switches and solenoids for high beams/low beams and foglights. If I ever find what caused the original circuit to fail I will let you guys know. But until then I wanted to be able to see at night.