PDA

View Full Version : Egr insight anyone?

parkersnine
10-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Took the EGR valve off the intake last night. The inside was all full of black carbon crud. The little plunger still goes up and down. Can somene share some thoughts on the way to tell if this is functional. I see new ones listed for $100 plus. See used ones that say they were tested on ebay.

Dr_Snooz
10-17-2009, 06:24 AM
The quick way to tell if it's working is to apply vacuum to it while the car is running. The car should die. Don't buy a new one until you've tried cleaning yours. Also check the channels to see if there is a lot of build up in them too. Is there a problem or are we just pulling off random parts to see how they work?

parkersnine
10-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Well, the car ran terrible months ago before I started to tear it down for a rebuild. This is a learning process for me and trying to eliminate potential future problems that can be resolved while it is still out of the car and intake and carb are apart and off the block. The egr was all full of carbon. Guess thats not unusual for a 200K carbed 3g? Thanks for the suggestions.

nswst8
10-17-2009, 08:19 AM
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) the soot is carbon from the combustion chamber builds up over twenty years. If the diaphram is intact replace vacuum hoses, clean the ports. Worst case you'll have to pull the intake off for a through cleaning.

Some use Sea foam for this purpose. Just had to help my son with his EGR. It was a broken vacuum line.

parkersnine
10-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Is that the Deep Creep? Thanks for the tip...

Civic Accord Honda
10-17-2009, 09:18 AM
suck on the hose make sure it holds vaccum.

nswst8
10-17-2009, 01:40 PM
suck on the hose make sure it holds vaccum.

I knew you sucked hose! Ha ha ha ha

ecogabriel
10-17-2009, 03:48 PM
The quick way to tell if it's working is to apply vacuum to it while the car is running. The car should die. Don't buy a new one until you've tried cleaning yours. Also check the channels to see if there is a lot of build up in them too. Is there a problem or are we just pulling off random parts to see how they work?

100% agree; If the car is carbed then that's all the functional checking.
If it is EFI then you need to check the electrical circuit (plunger position) too, but yours is carb. right? (I would expect a code 12 with a malfunctioning EGR valve)
For better cleaning I would submerge the lower part of the valve on carb cleaner to soak up the carbon and loosen it.
ONLY SUBMERGE THE LOW PART OF THE VALVE, MAKE SURE CLEANER DOES NOT TOUCH THE DIAPHRAGM.