PDA

View Full Version : 87 accord. lxi to lx

khoshabalas
10-18-2009, 08:26 AM
I have an 1987 accord lxi (hatch) and i HAVE to swap the motor into another car, into a 1987 accord lx (hatch). I've looked up about it and to me it seems that the only difference was trim. I want to take pretty much the front end and put it onto the lx along with the 88 a20a4 and the trans.
Any problems i'm gunna run into here?

I'm pretty much full on restoring the car along with it.
New struts, axles, custom dast, racing seats, new custom cluster, new paint.
It has an amazing yoshimura exhaust on it and a staged clutch so that's all good. I'm also putting a wepon r intake and pacesetter headers on it when i pull the motor to replace every gasket.

I'll post some pictures when i can.

lostforawhile
10-18-2009, 08:50 AM
where are you located? pictures of the exhaust?

khoshabalas
10-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Sorry it's an a20a3

Joay
10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Well the big difference is the fuel injection, which is all over the car, not just in the bay. You need a bunch of crap, but since you have a whole PGM-FI car you should be all set. The whole procedure is well-documented (http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm).

:welcome:

Get those pics up!

labeledsk8r
10-18-2009, 11:16 AM
wait a sec... theres no such thing as a LX hatch, its either a LX-i or a DX if its another lx-i your fine, if its a DX then the DX is a carb

khoshabalas
10-18-2009, 11:19 AM
YEah the hatch is lx. I'm pretty sure lol it's some x lol
Yeah the other car is totally empy. It's a rolling casis

khoshabalas
10-18-2009, 11:28 AM
This is the motor

khoshabalas
10-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Well i'm going to look at it agian. I'll pretty much be turning that car into my current car.

khoshabalas
10-18-2009, 11:30 AM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8269/img0895o.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7269/img0893g.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/127/img0897dq.jpg

khoshabalas
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
So wait.
I have the motor and trans. ii'm not turning it into a carbed motor. Just putting it into a body of one.

A18A
10-19-2009, 07:55 PM
thats a nice clean car you got there

Vanilla Sky
10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
You're going to have to convert the carbed car into an EFI car. Follow the carb to EFI how-to for that. It's in the link that Joay posted.

khoshabalas
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Well. I'm dropping the whol sub frame. from the lx-i and putting it into the other one. That's what is confusin me. Do i still need all that?

lostforawhile
10-20-2009, 10:42 AM
cambell county TN, read the link to what you have to do, if you think dropping the subframe is going to fix the problem, you must not have read anything. you are putting a fuel injected engine in a carb car, why would it just drop in? this is not something you do in a couple of hours.

Civic Accord Honda
10-20-2009, 10:52 AM
you would also have to swap a fuel line , gas tank with pump , wire harness... not hard just meens u have to completely gut the cars

khoshabalas
10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
you would also have to swap a fuel line , gas tank with pump , wire harness... not hard just meens u have to completely gut the cars

^thats what i was trying to say.
Why would i need a new alternator and all that?

Vanilla Sky
10-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Because the carb alt and the EFI alt are different. One feeds the ECU with a pulse, the other doesn't.

If it's on the list in the FAQ, it's there because it's needed.

Why are you swapping the motor out of that hatch? It looks really clean.

khoshabalas
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
-

khoshabalas
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I kinda just want to use the carbed car for the body. I thats all i needed to know if i could do that. Like take EVERYTHING out of this one and put it into the carbed one.

Vanilla Sky
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
You can, but what I'm asking is what's wrong with the hatchback that makes you want to swap everything out of?

khoshabalas
10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Well. Those pictures are about a month old. Someone went ahead an busted my hatch, back corner pannel and smashed my tail lights along with stabbing my front tire, so i'm sitting on 3 17's an a 14 lmao. I want to rebuild the engine anyways, so i'm pulling the motor out, getting some pacesetter headers, engine rebuild kit, new everything, painting the block and firewall of the other hatch i'm getting. I'm getting the new body painted and having the interior worked on soon after. The interior in mine right now is hell anyway, burned carpet lol I want a project. Aslong as a cant pretty much take EVERYThing out and throw it into the dx i'm cool with it. I'll post videos of my rebuild. It's not a huge project but something to do lol

Vanilla Sky
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Fun. I hate vandals. How bad is the damage to the 1/4 panel?

khoshabalas
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I'll try to get a picture. I know who it was too. It's pretty muffed up. Like they just bashed up all the backpannel by the hatch cause i know he knows you can't just buy another one, paint it an put it on easy. Ugh. But oh well, gives me a project and i had a little money to do it so i'm going for it.

khoshabalas
10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Also. The motor in my car (link below) is a 12 valve a20a3. I know that the motor was replaced. my car is an 1987 but is this the stock motor or a newer motor, like an 1988-1989? Cause it seems to me wiki says they only offered the 12 valves 88-89

lostforawhile
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Also. The motor in my car (link below) is a 12 valve a20a3. I know that the motor was replaced. my car is an 1987 but is this the stock motor or a newer motor, like an 1988-1989? Cause it seems to me wiki says they only offered the 12 valves 88-89are you listening to the wiki or listening to the people on this site who know everything there is to know about this car? everything you need to know to swap the FI engine into the other car is in that link or by using the search function on here. We are here to help you if you need help, but listen to the people on here, they are telling you exactly how to do this. This is a swap that has been done many times and we are trying to explain it to you. every time someone says something you seem to want to argue the point.

Vanilla Sky
10-21-2009, 12:29 AM
That looks like every other 3gee engine I've seen. The did change engine code in 1986 from the ET/ES series to the A20A series, but the engines remained unchanged. In 1988, the LXi got a different cam and a different compression ratio. I can't recall if the ratio is higher or lower. The newer motors also got a new intake manifold design (dual runner) and a different exhaust manifold (4-2-1 as opposed to 4-1). All of these changes are good for about 10 HP.

Civic Accord Honda
10-21-2009, 12:33 AM
^thats what i was trying to say.
Why would i need a new alternator and all that?

u wouldnt just use all the parts from ur current car and everything will be good :thumbup:
so pretty much use know engine parts or electrical parts from the shell use the parts from ur car and u will be set interior and body panels dont count tho lol but u have to swap harness so the interior will have to come out.. good time to install the power windows and swap to the button heater controls instead of sliders as well :thumbup:

khoshabalas
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
u wouldnt just use all the parts from ur current car and everything will be good :thumbup:
so pretty much use know engine parts or electrical parts from the shell use the parts from ur car and u will be set interior and body panels dont count tho lol but u have to swap harness so the interior will have to come out.. good time to install the power windows and swap to the button heater controls instead of sliders as well :thumbup:

That's the answer i wanted all along haha.

lostforawhile
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM
That's the answer i wanted all along haha.

you have to swap the stuff from the list or it's not going to work,period. and these engines don't just drop out on a subframe.