PDA

View Full Version : Need electrical help

canadian357
10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
So! Basically whats going on with my car is this - it won't hold a charge. Now this wouldn't confuse me except my problems keep changing. First, my dash lights and everything were staying on with the key out and wheel locked as if my car was still in position one. I'm thinking faulty ignition switch. Now, however, literally out of the blue, my car will not hold a charge, whatsoever. I can drive it for 20-30 minutes and if I shut it off, within 5 minutes I don't have enough juice to start. And yet if its on its fine, I can run all electrical normally.

NOW heres my crazy theory (because I refuse to believe that I have to pull the alternator) - is it possible that I have something in my car that is causing a pretty heavy drain by not shutting off when its supposed to? This is what happened in my friend's car (it died overnight because of a bad pwr window motor). What do you guys think?

Sorry for the long post, and a HUGE thanks to everyone on here. You guys have saved my ass an easy 30 times.

Hauntd ca3
10-18-2009, 11:51 PM
get an ammeter and check the current draw with the key off
make sure the doors are shut and interior light are off.
any more than .050 amps is not normal
thats enough for the clock and radio memories
anymore than .500 amps is enough to drain a batt quite quickly.
reconnect the batt and check the charge voltage, should be round 14.1- 14.5 volts with a few revs on.
do remember tho that if its only 13.5volts or there abouts the alt could be charging its ring off at 50 amps which you need a clamp type ammeter to check.

check that the batt is in good cond as well and if your dash lights are staying on with the key out, replace the ign switch just for piece of mind, they are cheap enough and if it fixs the prob, is cheaper than rebuilding the alt

Oldblueaccord
10-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Headlight motor not fully down or up ?

But if its dieing on you driving you got an alternator problem.

wp