PDA

View Full Version : plastic side panels?

swell
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
anyone know where to find thes on the net or elseware???

:dunno:

Dr_Snooz
10-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Um, perhaps you should be a little more specific about what you need.

ghettogeddy
10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
are you talking exterior trim pieces
or inside door trim

swell
10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
my bad for bein so vague, heres what im looking for

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg131/kwikzink/hondaaccordhatch.jpg

lostforawhile
10-21-2009, 03:47 PM
junk yard, are your's missing or just faded? if they are faded a good trim paint will bring them right back.

ghettogeddy
10-21-2009, 03:47 PM
junk yard, are your's missing or just faded? if they are faded a good trim paint will bring them right back.

x2

swell
10-21-2009, 04:50 PM
yea..nah, im lookin for a completely new one because at some of the plastic nubs where it actually connects to the body are missing, im guessing th past owner tried removing them an instead accidentily broke them off

Dr_Snooz
10-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Get the clips from the junkyard and replace them on the ones you have. Super cheap and easy.

swell
10-21-2009, 06:20 PM
alright, i'll go an try to check it out this week, last time i was there though i only saw like 3 hondas an 2 of which where 3rd gens, i think i need to go to another lot ahaha

lostforawhile
10-21-2009, 07:06 PM
yea..nah, im lookin for a completely new one because at some of the plastic nubs where it actually connects to the body are missing, im guessing th past owner tried removing them an instead accidentily broke them offyou use the new 3m body molding adhesive on the rolls, if you prep the metal right,it's so strong you'll bend the metal trying to remove the trim. you use a couple of the old clips as a guide when putting the trim on with it.

Civic Accord Honda
10-21-2009, 07:31 PM
i need to get some of that 3m ^ as all that holds mine is the clips now since the little 10 mm nuts that are on the end of the door trim rusted and fell off once when shuting the door lol

lostforawhile
10-22-2009, 05:56 AM
i need to get some of that 3m ^ as all that holds mine is the clips now since the little 10 mm nuts that are on the end of the door trim rusted and fell off once when shuting the door lol

the stuff i'm talking about isn't a foam tape with adhesive, it looks like it but it's all adhesive with tape you peel off of each side.

swell
10-23-2009, 06:01 AM
the stuff i'm talking about isn't a foam tape with adhesive, it looks like it but it's all adhesive with tape you peel off of each side.

so i could just purchase this stuff at like any department store right?

lostforawhile
10-23-2009, 06:16 AM
so i could just purchase this stuff at like any department store right?
I would go to an autobody paint place, they probably won't carry this stuff at Walmart. I'm not talking about the three3 foam tape they sell in hardware, this is specific for holding heavy trim pieces. it's going to cost a few coins, but it's cheaper then buying new trim and clips.

swell
10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
I would go to an autobody paint place, they probably won't carry this stuff at Walmart. I'm not talking about the three3 foam tape they sell in hardware, this is specific for holding heavy trim pieces. it's going to cost a few coins, but it's cheaper then buying new trim and clips.
alright, so whats the exact name of this foam tape?

lostforawhile
10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm trying to find it again

guerrero
10-27-2009, 04:37 AM
go to the junk yard and get the clips, you dont whant to put m3 dobleside tape it will fall off in 2 to 4 years, clips last longer time. check in the junk yard to see if your molding is bent or worpt, if it is you could get it with clips,

Bluntman
10-27-2009, 05:45 AM
Here is the molding tapes, alot of cars new car moldings are attached that way. You can get it at any auto body and paint supply by you. I think a auto parts store would have it. Here is what you are looking for http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m_AAT.aspx

lostforawhile
10-27-2009, 08:00 AM
go to the junk yard and get the clips, you dont whant to put m3 dobleside tape it will fall off in 2 to 4 years, clips last longer time. check in the junk yard to see if your molding is bent or worpt, if it is you could get it with clips,
good luck finding one at the yard. and why do you assume the 3m product will fall off,i'm still searching for the one I was talking about, it has no foam, it's an adhesive with paper on each side,looks like foam but has none. It was listed as one of the top 100 innovations by popular science.

guerrero
10-27-2009, 03:19 PM
My opinon is this junk yard.

guerrero
10-27-2009, 03:21 PM
lostforawhile this coment was the best you gave for the molding problrm.

junk yard, are your's missing or just faded? if they are faded a good trim paint will bring them right back. that is what i did to one.:rockon:

guerrero
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
for civic haccord honda for know put m3 but its best to replace it after some time in your condition.

guerrero
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
:confused:www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2541419
this is the best way to do it. 3m is up to the owner. there are people that like bouth. its up to the you.
:hmph:
www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=1...
dont get me wrong 3m works in othere places but out side weather dont like.

carotman
10-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I've been using 3M tape on my civic for years. I live in Canada and we have weather from 30 C to -20 C. It held well for many years and is still holding strong.

This is the stuff
http://www.paulfrancispaint.com/servlet/Detail?no=9

http://www.paulfrancispaint.com/catalog/3m%20tape.JPG

lostforawhile
10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
thanks carotman!! i've been looking for that. the reason they didn't use tape at the factory is the existing tapes basically sucked! remember american cars from the 80's with trim missing? the stuff today is so good it lets them attach trim without having to put holes in the body. how do you think a lot of the plastic panels on saturns were attached?

swell
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
alright cool, thanks loads, this will be perfect, one last question tho, what if i ever want to remove them to paint them? sry for askin so many questions :banghead:

lostforawhile
10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
alright cool, thanks loads, this will be perfect, one last question tho, what if i ever want to remove them to paint them? sry for askin so many questions :banghead:
good luck, better mask them good, the good 3m adhesive will bend the metal trying to pry it off. also use a couple of broken clips to line up the piece when sticking it on.

Civic Accord Honda
10-27-2009, 06:37 PM
thanks carotman!! i've been looking for that. the reason they didn't use tape at the factory is the existing tapes basically sucked! remember american cars from the 80's with trim missing? the stuff today is so good it lets them attach trim without having to put holes in the body. how do you think a lot of the plastic panels on saturns were attached?

hahaha yeah my cavi had glued on moldings!
http://b1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00741/19/57/741137591_l.jpg notice the glue residue?

swell
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
good luck, better mask them good, the good 3m adhesive will bend the metal trying to pry it off. also use a couple of broken clips to line up the piece when sticking it on.

damn, well im gonna look into how to remove the moldings then paint them before hand, hopefully i dont have to break the clips an bend the metal any.... but im guessing im gonna have to...

lostforawhile
10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
damn, well im gonna look into how to remove the moldings then paint them before hand, hopefully i dont have to break the clips an bend the metal any.... but im guessing im gonna have to... remove the door panels and interior panels and squeeze the clips from inside

swell
10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
remove the door panels and interior panels and squeeze the clips from inside
alright,sweet, well i'll update you when i have this finished

thanks once again for the enlightenment

dacantu
10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Guys ehn I removed my moldings I didnt brake more tha a couple clips and that was only on the first one I tried to remove. Also you wont bend your metal unless you use that tape I believe because of how adhesive it is.

When I removed my moldings though I realized that they are not meant to be pulled away from the car but they are made to slide on the clips. If you remove the 1 bolt on the inside of the door thats holding the moldings then you will realize that the moldings will slide horizontally towards the rear of the car. check it out and if you have trouble let me know and I will make a quick video

dacantu
10-27-2009, 08:17 PM
remove the door panels and interior panels and squeeze the clips from inside

dont do this, toooooo much work.

no offense in any way lost. I just did this recently the way i mentioned above and it worked just fine and took all but 15 mins max.

also if you wet the panels first like if you wash the car it should make it easier swell. I know I removed them while I was washing the car.

dacantu
10-27-2009, 08:24 PM
sorry just one more thing.....

once you slide off the moldings youll be left with some black holders that will eventually slide back onto the moldings when reinstalled.

These black holders are attached to your white clips all you have to do is grab the plastic holder with your hand and pivot them to the right or left doesnt matter which and then you can pull them out.

this whole process really is easy.

the only ones you might have trouble with are the moldings on the front fenders. these will need to be removed all as on piece from within the fender wall. (behind the front tires) there are two black clips this time and these clips are a lot stronger than the white ones. for this it would be best to use some needle nose pliers and pinch the clip and pull on the molding one side at a time.

lostforawhile
10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
dont do this, toooooo much work.

no offense in any way lost. I just did this recently the way i mentioned above and it worked just fine and took all but 15 mins max.

also if you wet the panels first like if you wash the car it should make it easier swell. I know I removed them while I was washing the car.it depends on the car, down here the clips bake in the sun and don't slide, they break like glass.

dacantu
10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
it depends on the car, down here the clips bake in the sun and don't slide, they break like glass.

Yeah I guess it just depends whether or not your clips are all dried up either way its worth a try. i know here in AZ mine havent dried up but who knows which factors go into it.

3gmodifier
10-27-2009, 11:42 PM
besides over priced factory direct OEM,.... hondaautomotiveparts.com
thats ware i got all of my body, door, and window trim for my 2.0Si replica rebuild.