PDA

View Full Version : New AEM Cold Air Intake

dacantu
10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
So guys I finished my CAI from a 90-93 integra and I think it looks pretty nice. It still will need a couple touch ups at the coupler. Unfortunately thats the best place to put the coupler, which in turn made me take off the sticker that was there which also added value to the damned thing. lol.

Let me know what you guys think, also would anybody know what to use as a divider between the ugly white AEM filter and the wheel to keep from dirtying the filter?

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dacantu/IMG_0560.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dacantu/IMG_0563.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dacantu/IMG_0564.jpg

I'm still waiting for some DC headers to be delivered from JUSTANOTHERMIKE, then those will be sanded, ceramic coated, and installed.

Im also waiting on my 16" polished Rota j-mags which should be atleast delivered by early freaking november(been waiting for them since 9/10/09)

Until those things are installed the car will sit on those bricks, this is because my tires are a safety hazard lol

Ill also be replacing that corner lamp lol

2drSE-i
10-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Let me know what you guys think, also would anybody know what to use as a divider between the ugly white AEM filter and the wheel to keep from dirtying the filter?

You sure thats an AEM filter? doesnt look like one ive ever seen. Anyway, what happened to your stock fender cover?

dacantu
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
100% positive it says it right on the filter and came in the AEM box and all. apparently its the new filters that come with the intakes, they've even got a namee "white matter"

dacantu
10-19-2009, 09:42 PM
what happened to your stock fender cover?

I have no freakin idea what happened to it, lol never been there since i can remember, i had no idea it was even missing *dumb*. guess i gotta make a trip to the Junk Yard

2drSE-i
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
I have no freakin idea what happened to it, lol never been there since i can remember, i had no idea it was even missing *dumb*. guess i gotta make a trip to the Junk Yard

Yea, that will cover your filter from muck. Dont drive in the rain. Thats a personal lesson learned.

dacantu
10-19-2009, 09:46 PM
yeah I didnt plan on it. in thhat case what would need to be done? remove the cai? or what?

ghettogeddy
10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
no just install a bypass valve
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CFSBQI

dacantu
10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks man, then I wont have anything to worry about?

ghettogeddy
10-19-2009, 10:21 PM
i wouldent go swamp bugging lol still try to stay away from large puddles but normal rain shoudent be an issue

Rendon LX-i
10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
LOL.......very nice

2drSE-i
10-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Normal rain isn't really an issue anyway, but large puddles with cost you.

Oldblueaccord
10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Your battery went where ?

wp

dacantu
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
i wouldent go swamp bugging lol still try to stay away from large puddles but normal rain shoudent be an issue
cool thanks man

LOL.......very nice
lol thanks for the help on setting this up man

Normal rain isn't really an issue anyway, but large puddles with cost you.
im glad it doesnt really rain in AZ and when it does it sprinkles lol

Your battery went where ?

wp
battery isnt installed yet but well go right to the right of the Intake just pivoted

Rendon LX-i
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
no problem.....now some vids PLEASE

stat1K
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
why vids of a simple mod?

the bypass will save you even from LARGE puddles. Theres a video floating around that aem made of the filter... they a car and submerged the filter in water while it was running nothing happened, the water just shot out of the bypass like a mother.

it will definitely be nice once you get the header, remove the vacuum, and buy the parts from angus for obd1 :).

it will be like an mb2 clone in black lol... jmags would look nice too. dunno about 16" but get some d2 coilovers while you're at it :)

87roach
10-21-2009, 07:48 AM
For that reason, I almost think that running a "by-pass" is useless. Yes the proved that that works. Okay, so let's go back to the real world and think about that for a moment.. who will ever drive through something like that? If you live in an area where there is a lot of precipitation and you might "need" it.. well I wouldn't even recommend running a CAI in the first place. They do sound really cool though.

stat1K
10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
a CAI sounds cool? my CAI has no sound difference over stock... when i have it as a short ram it sounds cool... like a race car. I keep most of my tools with me at all time and if it's raining i just convert it to a short ram, it takes me all of 3 minutes. that's why i wont buy one for the reason that they cost more than my whole intake did.

i had a friend who got caught in a down poor in arizona (doesn't happen often) he was driving down hill, well in arizona the flood control is little to non existent for the very reason that we don't get rain, the water ends up just pooling on the road, he hit a big puddle sucked up water and hydrolocked his brand new motor, his car was turbo so it did a whole mess of damage. he towed it home, put all the stock parts on it and made an insurance claim. ended up getting money to replace the motor but not enough to do anything about all of his ruined turbo parts.

lostforawhile
10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
For that reason, I almost think that running a "by-pass" is useless. Yes the proved that that works. Okay, so let's go back to the real world and think about that for a moment.. who will ever drive through something like that? If you live in an area where there is a lot of precipitation and you might "need" it.. well I wouldn't even recommend running a CAI in the first place. They do sound really cool though.you don't have to submerge the filter all the way in water, all you have to do is suck up enough water to hydro lock one of your pistons, water gets sucked up, piston comes up on compression,no where to go, rod bends and you are done. one deep puddle and it's bye bye engine.

2ndGenGuy
10-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Listen, I live where it rains ALL THE TIME. Nobody I know with a CAI has ever hydrolocked an engine. Or ever even so much as had a drop of water past their air filter. If you're dumb enough to submerge your car in that much water, you deserve a hydrolocked motor.

We've driven trucks through 4 foot deep puddles on a regular basis, water up completely over the hood, and didn't get so much as steam out the tailpipes. Soaked, dripping wet air filters, and still no hydrolock.

Rendon LX-i
10-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Listen, I live where it rains ALL THE TIME. Nobody I know with a CAI has ever hydrolocked an engine. Or ever even so much as had a drop of water past their air filter. If you're dumb enough to submerge your car in that much water, you deserve a hydrolocked motor.

We've driven trucks through 4 foot deep puddles on a regular basis, water up completely over the hood, and didn't get so much as steam out the tailpipes. Soaked, dripping wet air filters, and still no hydrolock.

I agree. I have sucked water in but made my motor bog and once i got home i changed my oil...thats because we had one hell of a rain storm. there where some big puddles....nothing i can do i didnt take so much water to the extent where i was sucking like a vac but i can hear the motor choke...im like okay time to slow down lOl.....

bybass is for show....shit ONLY works if your end of your intake is in the water so where the bypass is it sucks from there.....Doesnt make any sense to me. buddys that have still suck water. might as well not use it.

dacantu
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Damn guys I didnt mean for this to turn in to a massive argument. I'm really not sure if you guys are serious or just messing around but anyways I just wanted to show off my new CAI :D lol

As for the vid I will post one when I get it off the bricks in 2 weeks. It runs fine but I dont want to take it off until I finish with the headers, removing the cat, adjusting the CAI a bit more, instal;ling a mudflap to protect the filter, and getting my wheels.

Also guys thanks for all the help as far the bypass goes, Im not really sure im going to need one. worse comes to worse ill remove the second half of the CAI pipe and place the filter there making it a short ram just as statik says he does. considering I live in AZ just as he used to and it does not rain for shit here.

Thanks guys

cubert
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Is that white filter one of the dry filters? I had a dry one that I ran on my civic but it was gray in color...

Civic Accord Honda
10-21-2009, 12:03 PM
oh shi.....http://k43.pbase.com/o5/42/267742/1/68416045.wGDPMlLK.popcorn.gif

lostforawhile
10-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I have been watching the bypass since it was developed. the original reason, was some cars had the intake right near the ground to get the coolest densest air, and they were in danger of sucking up water, it was developed as a real product, I have the old articles here somewhere. i remember here when we had flash floods, the water came up to my bumper, if i had had an intake in the wheel well it would have been under water.

2drSE-i
10-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure what was said in the garbage posts. but I've lost a motor to water. Wasn't even that deep of a puddle, but it was enough to cause a rod to bend. The motor still ran but it had a HELL of a knock.

ghettogeddy
10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
ya i had a friend with a focus and they had a sri but it went behind the motor and towards the ground and lil puddles would make the car shut off lol it always started but still not a good thing lol

stat1K
10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
basically i asked why a video was needed and rendon raged at me, it was pretty amusing 2dr... should be more on top of things sheesh... and i'm still a vote for a bypass if you want a CAI in a rainy environment. Like i said in my story about it, downpoors happen, puddles can't always be avoided, sometimes it's NOT your fault. for that reason one is a good idea, but i just disconnect it and run it as a SR when it rains here.

Civic Accord Honda
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah thats why i never used a CAI lol and SRI has more response and sounds more 41C34

dacantu
10-21-2009, 11:39 PM
yeah thats why i never used a CAI lol and SRI has more response and sounds more 41C34

Um whats 41c34?

basically i asked why a video was needed and rendon raged at me, it was pretty amusing 2dr... should be more on top of things sheesh... and i'm still a vote for a bypass if you want a CAI in a rainy environment. Like i said in my story about it, downpoors happen, puddles can't always be avoided, sometimes it's NOT your fault. for that reason one is a good idea, but i just disconnect it and run it as a SR when it rains here.

Thats exactly as I will be doing there's just enough room to do it I think

oh shi.....http://k43.pbase.com/o5/42/267742/1/68416045.wGDPMlLK.popcorn.gif
Lol yeah I almost busted out with some pop corn lol pretty good choice of smiley for the occasion CAH lol

Is that white filter one of the dry filters? I had a dry one that I ran on my civic but it was gray in color...

Yeah it is a dry filter apparently they are new and theyre called white matter and the other ones are called gray matter either way it is really ugly and looks very cheap

I'm not sure what was said in the garbage posts. but I've lost a motor to water. Wasn't even that deep of a puddle, but it was enough to cause a rod to bend. The motor still ran but it had a HELL of a knock.

Pretty much nothing relating to the installation of a CAI lol but it was fun while it lasted, and yes I think I will just be disconnecting it whenever it rains here. and making it a SRI

MessyHonda
10-22-2009, 12:18 AM
i like it...i wish they were cheap

dacantu
10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
i like it...i wish they were cheap

I can pick one up for you brand new for $165+shipping for the accord and/or integra. The guy sells them for me for the price that they get it at (wholesale) because they require modification to fit our cars. it also comes with the filter in the pictures.

Civic Accord Honda
10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Um whats 41c34?

haha 41c34 = RicER .lol i like the ricer sound my SRI gives :)

dacantu
10-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Lol i was trying to decode the numbering but couldnt and now that you say ricer i can now see it lol. Thats funny though maybe ill have to check out my cai as an sri also

snoopyloopy
10-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I can pick one up for you brand new for $165+shipping for the accord and/or integra. The guy sells them for me for the price that they get it at (wholesale) because they require modification to fit our cars. it also comes with the filter in the pictures.
yea, since they usually require modding to fit in our cars, might as well save $100 and get the no-name ebay one then buy a aem sticker to slap on it if you are in danger of harassment. also, they're usually ballpark tuned for the cars they're specific for to give the certain improvements in power and also getting the carb sticker costs money, that's why they're so expensive as opposed to the just plain tubes the other ones are.
and as far as the bypass valve goes, i've seen the video where the guy from aem took his nsx and stuck the pipe into a jar of water. it was jumping up the pipe, but never passed the bpv and certainly wasn't shooting out of it. the purpose of the bpv isn't to filter water out, it's to allow air in if the lower pipe is obstructed.

dacantu
10-22-2009, 12:06 PM
yea, since they usually require modding to fit in our cars, might as well save $100 and get the no-name ebay one then buy a aem sticker to slap on it if you are in danger of harassment. also, they're usually ballpark tuned for the cars they're specific for to give the certain improvements in power and also getting the carb sticker costs money, that's why they're so expensive as opposed to the just plain tubes the other ones are.
and as far as the bypass valve goes, i've seen the video where the guy from aem took his nsx and stuck the pipe into a jar of water. it was jumping up the pipe, but never passed the bpv and certainly wasn't shooting out of it. the purpose of the bpv isn't to filter water out, it's to allow air in if the lower pipe is obstructed.

Yeah i guess it really is necessary only if you live in california. As for the bypass valve wouldnt that mean that it would make the cold air part kind of useless? Because most people install it in near the engine and if the purpose is to allow air it would suck in hot air right? Lol

Civic Accord Honda
10-22-2009, 12:29 PM
not the AEM its like a valve.. if it cant suck air in the from filter it opens the bypass valve... the cheap ebay ones are useless tho..

labeledsk8r
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
looks good man, i will say i will agree with a bypass valve (or if your in known flood area just dont use a CAI). down here in florida after every bad rain with known flooding you can go onto the local F/S website and see 2-5 worked on cars ythat have a list of mods includeing CAI then at the end it says "drove threw water dont know what happend my loss is your gain" lolol

dacantu
10-22-2009, 01:48 PM
looks good man, i will say i will agree with a bypass valve (or if your in known flood area just dont use a CAI). down here in florida after every bad rain with known flooding you can go onto the local F/S website and see 2-5 worked on cars ythat have a list of mods includeing CAI then at the end it says "drove threw water dont know what happend my loss is your gain" lolol

Lol thats pretty funny, in a way thats kind of cool for anybody wanting parts, if those cars get parted out.

The thing everyone keeps saying is go with a by pass valve but to be completely honest guys ive only ever driven through heavy rain once here in az and literally the rain lasted less than 5 minutes. trust me if it ever rains hard again ill be out there driving my 3g because its so awesome but I will make sure to make it a short ram in that case.

not the AEM its like a valve.. if it cant suck air in the from filter it opens the bypass valve... the cheap ebay ones are useless tho..

Cool CAH got it, thanks for the heads up.