PDA

View Full Version : Upper ball joint questions???? Need help

ba109296
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
So I needed all new ball joints on my 89 accord. So I looked around at alot of places and finally got some from an online source.

Here is the problem. About a week after I installed them one of them went bad!! I got the company to send me another one and now after a few weeks its going bad. Then the other day the one on the other side started popping!!!

WTF?!?!
Does this happen often? Where should I get new ones for a decent price?
Should I just go ahead and get the adjustable ones so I can dial in the camber a little better?

LX-incredible
10-20-2009, 08:46 PM
It's not the control arm/ball joints, It's the bushings/dowel that they pivot on.

Use honda OEM dowel (COLLAR, ARM (UPPER) 51453-SE0-000) and cupped washers (SEAL, HOUSING 51452-SB0-000). Reusing these parts is fine, if they are in decent condition. Even with worn OEM dowels and washers, the tolerances are better than than any chinese or taiwanese junk you buy on ebay or www.chinacrappartswarehouse.com.

The bushing seals can usually be reused, but UCA bushings are many times destroyed with removal. Honda, raybestos, moog, and three-five/555 (makes most moog and raybestos suspension parts, as well as others), are all quality bronze bushings. Moog is more expensive but also come with new seals. The chinese junk comes with loose fitting steel bushings and will not last.

The companies I mentioned all provide quality suspension parts, but the boots are going to last longer with honda. Moog is no longer building their own lower ball joints, with the upgraded boots.

ba109296
10-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Oh no its definitely the ball joints that are popping!

Or are you saying that because the crappy dowels suck so bad it somehow screws up the ball joint?

itzdave
10-21-2009, 12:23 AM
buy moog ball joints, they are great!

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2009, 06:20 AM
are we talking front or rear?

ba109296
10-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Front uppers.

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm assuming they sent you the whole arm assembly instead of just the ball joint to be pressed into the existing arm. Assuming that, are you positive the play (popping) is in the actual ball&socket joint? I've seen on only one occasion (but have seen it) where the actual ball-joint wasn't staying put in the arm (not the socket, but the ball-joint assembly). I've also seen where it's not the correct taper to fit inside the tapered hole on the knuckle. When you removed/replaced the defective one, did the end just pull out of the top of the knuckle, or did you have to use a separator tool of some sort to pop it free?

Any pics of the assembly on your car? Any pics of the defective joint?

This is an interesting one for sure.

LX-incredible
10-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh no its definitely the ball joints that are popping!

Or are you saying that because the crappy dowels suck so bad it somehow screws up the ball joint?

No, the smallest amount of play between the UCA bushings and dowel will cause the popping noise. I replaced 2 sets before I figured it out. With the car jacked up grab the upper arm and try to move it left and right. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you've already replaced one side twice, it's worth a shot. Use your oem dowels if you still have them or buy a set at the dealer or even junkyard and get 2 $8 raybestos bushing sets from rockauto.

If you're positive it's the arms, rockauto has a closeout on quality moog UCAs right now for $38 each. Hurry up, the special wont last long.

ba109296
10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
yes I am 100 percent positive its the actual ball joint. I think maybe I just got a cheap POS!

Another note: The first one that went bad the nut was almost off of it. It worked itself almost off. And yes I do torque them to spec.

ba109296
10-21-2009, 11:01 PM
So does it matter what long dowel I use? I am going to order 2 upper moog arms from rock auto along with the bushing kit. Do I need to replace the dowel also? I have I think 4 of them sitting here at the house to use..

Civic Accord Honda
10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
ebay and cheap china parts fail hard.. i got some ebay tie rods for my civic... within 1 month the boots were allready ripped and they allready had play in them...

LX-incredible
10-22-2009, 12:15 AM
The nut worked off of it!? That's not good. Does the tapered bore in the spindle appear to be fine? A previous overtightening or loose stud thrashing around in it would have caused damage. This makes the stud sit further into the bore, crushing the boot and in extreme cases limiting joint travel.

Use a honda oem dowel, used is fine as long as there is no major gouges in it. Be sure to grease the bushings, dowel, cupped washers and seal.

ba109296
10-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Those son of a beesh dowels DO NOT like to go in the arm AT ALL. You have to beat the crap out of them to get them in!!

greentee76
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
How could the nut come loose? It's got a cotter pin in it!
Unless you are talking UCA bushings I'm confused.

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Those son of a beesh dowels DO NOT like to go in the arm AT ALL. You have to beat the crap out of them to get them in!!

Replace your dowels with Moog parts too. You need smooth, quiet action between the bushings and dowels. If you don't, the arms are going squeak like crazy when you go over bumps and the arms will fail early.

ba109296
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
So I got brand new arms with bushings from rock auto today but can't seem to find the darn dowel anywhere.
The local honda place can't figure it out either.

Link anyone? Or a part number would be good also.
ty for all the help so far.

LX-incredible
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
51453-SE0-000 COLLAR, ARM (UPPER)

http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+SEI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+KNUCKLE-BRAKE+DISK&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

Oldblueaccord
10-29-2009, 03:24 AM
I am late posting but I used the Dorman UCA with the replaceable ball joint and I am having good luck with them. I do think I changed one dust boot and I have both of them drilled for grease fittings as well.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64456

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JZD5U8/ref=asc_df_B000JZD5U8950196?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealt145-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000JZD5U8

wp

2oodoor
11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I just ordered 2 of those from amazon, I assume they and interchange right to left?
I wasnt even thinking about that, oh well.

luvestoospooge
11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
actually no, they dont, i bought a left and a right one from o'reillys today for my 88, they should have a "R" or "L" on the corresponding control arm assembly. But idk, maybe they will know that you dont need two of one side lol