PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel back and forth at low speeds

jordacr
10-22-2009, 04:43 AM
I have an '87 DX. I have had it about 1 year and it has always had a strange steering issue. When starting from a stop, the steering wheel will move back and forth. The car itself seems to go straight as an arrow, just the steering wheel moves. It goes faster and faster until you get up to around 35-45 mph and then you don't notice anything at all. On the highway, there is no vibration in the steering wheel. I can even take my hands off the wheel and the car stays as straight as can be. There is also no wear to the tires. What could be causing this???? When it was hot in the summer, it would not do it so bad or at all. The cold seems to make it worse.

Craig

Bluntman
10-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Mine is all stock. It did that a tiny bit when the tire pressure was low. It had 32psi, I brought it up to 40psi and all was good. But could be a number of things.

w261w261
10-22-2009, 06:53 AM
You just have to start trying things. I'd swap the front and rear tires for openers. You may have a belt problem on one of the fronts.

jordacr
10-22-2009, 07:53 AM
The tires are only a couple of months old. It did this before I bought the tires. Can anyone think of anythign else??

2ndGenGuy
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Could be a bent wheel.

Rendon LX-i
10-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Prolly a bent wheel.....or a bad tire. LOL i get this alot.....of course i work with tires.

headbanger
10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
warped rotor.will cause this.if it is warped enough it will rub caliper as it turns an cause steering to wobble.had it happen to mine the tough thing is keeping them from warping.or you have a knot on tire but if it was a knot it would be all over the road.

Rendon LX-i
10-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Even a warped rotor wont do it. IF you had a warped rotor you would know right away when you brake. Never will it shake when you running the car at high speeds. Ive done so many cars a day you dont even want to know. IM just saying. thats a 10 percent chance thats the issue. Either a bent wheel or a separated tire. You wont know till you either jack up the front end put some jack stand and run it in gear D in auto or 2nd in a manual......Look at both wheels. right away youll see a lump or a mass on the tire if its bad....IF its a rim youll know right away youll see that thing go nuts.

I would still check the rotors but thats PROLLY not the issue im pretty sure its either one of of the 2.

head banger not saying your wrong bro. BUt i had some of the shitest rotors ever and i seen people come in saying O i feel alittle shake LMFAO...i go drive it....feels good then when i get to like 35 or so and and hit the brake...HOLLY SHIT feels like im going to loose control LOL. .....

Check both....while its up in the air check for loose tie rod ends. ball joints that can be the case also....torque bushings....all that can come to play when it comes to shaking. even tranny mount

Oldblueaccord
10-29-2009, 03:12 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42403

might want to make sure these are in good shape and the nuts are very tight. Sounds like you have some torque steer issues.

wp