PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical life of fuel injectors?

w261w261
10-24-2009, 08:09 AM
At 20 years and 220k, I have two slightly leaking injector seals (enough to smell gas, so it's time to do something). I gather the labor to take them out and put in new seals is around an hour, and the parts maybe $10 an injector. The alternative is to put in 4 new injectors, $96 ea from Majestic (I only buy Honda OEM). My question is, am I approaching the point where the original injectors may start to fail? If so, I'll take this opportunity to replace them all. Thx.

snoopyloopy
10-24-2009, 08:13 AM
hmmm well i'm at almost 287 and my injectors are still working and i do believe mine are originals. although #4 is leaking about as bad as yours (maybe worse, i can actually see damp around it at times), so at least a seal job is in the works for me sonon. but yea, if anyone has any clues as to life expectancy, i'm taking suggestions too lol.

lostforawhile
10-24-2009, 09:27 AM
At 20 years and 220k, I have two slightly leaking injector seals (enough to smell gas, so it's time to do something). I gather the labor to take them out and put in new seals is around an hour, and the parts maybe $10 an injector. The alternative is to put in 4 new injectors, $96 ea from Majestic (I only buy Honda OEM). My question is, am I approaching the point where the original injectors may start to fail? If so, I'll take this opportunity to replace them all. Thx.
there are some pretty good aftermarket injectors out there now, I would look around before buying new ones,

w261w261
10-24-2009, 02:38 PM
there are some pretty good aftermarket injectors out there now, I would look around before buying new ones,

My problem with the aftermarket is I don't know what is good and what isn't. I suspect that different batches of the same "brand" may be made by different factories in possibly different countries, all dependent on who could score the business on the latest contract. Today's good injector from xxxx is tomorrow's crap. The best chance I have of purchasing consistent quality is let Honda do the QC. That does cost money, but peace of mind is worth something too.

I remember a couple of years ago I put in a new axle. I got it from Honda, and had a chance to look at a promotional piece for their OEM replacements. 3 different kinds of grease, etc. I couldn't help but be impressed, but they weren't 50 bucks each, either.

I did draw the line however, when a new dizzy from Honda was $600+.

w261w261
10-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Unless I hear something here, I'm inclined to just put in the seals. The cost is relatively small, so I'm not losing much if the injectors themselves go later.

Civic Accord Honda
10-24-2009, 02:41 PM
RC Injectors are supposed to be really good... i also here alot of good from Injector Rehab if you just want to send yours in for flow chart and cleaning.

AccordEpicenter
10-24-2009, 03:35 PM
you can get em cleaned and flow tested, i really dont see the need to buy brand new ones

Vanilla Sky
10-24-2009, 05:18 PM
There really isn't much of a reason to replace good injectors if you're stock. Modern fuel injectors last a LONG time. Typical failure is due to muck that accumulates over time. Having them cleaned and flow tested is all they ever need. RC Injectors seem to be the choice of a lot of DIY types. I see no need to go to Honda for something that likely comes from a 3rd party distributor anyway.

w261w261
10-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Unless I hear something here, I'm inclined to just put in the seals. The cost is relatively small, so I'm not losing much if the injectors themselves go later.

I'm having no performance problems, and I use Techron regularly, so I assume the injectors are flowing fine. So I guess it's the solenoid that might wear out....I'm just going to put in the new seals.

Dr_Snooz
10-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I had two start leaking pretty bad at ~175k miles. I thought it was seals, so I replaced them to the tune of $40. You can't replace just one seal because they all go when you remove the fuel rail. The seals didn't work. The injectors themselves start to leak from the seams in the housing. I'm not sure what they do when they clean and flow test, but I suspect it won't help if the injector case is leaking. I replaced two injectors and now the other two are leaking. I just grabbed some junkyard jobs and I'll swap them in when the leaking gets real bad. Your estimates for time and cost are about right. For what it's worth, my injectors leaked for a very, very, very long time before it got to where I was in danger of an engine fire or asphyxiation from the fumes.

w261w261
10-24-2009, 10:38 PM
....... injectors themselves start to leak from the seams in the housing........ For what it's worth, my injectors leaked for a very, very, very long time before it got to where I was in danger of an engine fire or asphyxiation from the fumes.

I gather that when you removed the injectors, you then could tell that the seams were leaking from the stains or wetness? I get a noticeable gas smell in the car, with one injector definitely wet and another kind of.

Oldblueaccord
10-25-2009, 04:52 AM
I changed mine 6-8 months ago. I got a good deal on a set of 255's from RC. If you call them they might have some slightly used ones I think they were 60$ a piece. Mine leaked from the body as well. I rode them as long as I dared but the fuel smell started to get to me and my wife would not ride in the car anymore. I notice no impovement in idle quality, mileage or and other runability issues.

wp

DBMaster
10-25-2009, 06:10 AM
You'll be wasting your time and money replacing the seals. The injectors are leaking at the joint between the plastic and metal portions. Yes, they are working fine, but the leaks will only get worse. It's time to replace the injectors.

1987AccordLx-i
10-25-2009, 11:39 AM
hmmm well i'm at almost 287 and my injectors are still working and i do believe mine are originals. although #4 is leaking about as bad as yours (maybe worse, i can actually see damp around it at times), so at least a seal job is in the works for me sonon. but yea, if anyone has any clues as to life expectancy, i'm taking suggestions too lol.

not as bad as mine lol... i turn the key to prime the system and cylinders 1,2,4 sprayed like a garden hose.. i just replaced the seals on the rail and i was good

Civic Accord Honda
10-25-2009, 12:18 PM
not as bad as mine lol... i turn the key to prime the system and cylinders 1,2,4 sprayed like a garden hose.. i just replaced the seals on the rail and i was good

i remember when my civic did that! :lol: i just went to true value and got 2 tiny sprinkler o rings or something like that and put 2 of them on 1 injector haha it worked

AccordEpicenter
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
if the injectors themselves are leaking, replace them

lostforawhile
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
injectors have moving parts inside, they wear out in time, the only kind of injectors i've seen rebuilt are diesel injectors and aircraft ones. mostly because of the replacement cost. not something you can rebuild at home.

Dr_Snooz
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I gather that when you removed the injectors, you then could tell that the seams were leaking from the stains or wetness? I get a noticeable gas smell in the car, with one injector definitely wet and another kind of.

That's something of a long story. I noticed staining around the injectors about 50k miles before I replaced them. I started by replacing the seals but after 50k miles I noticed the staining returned and I could smell a lot of gas. Short answer is that I changed the seals and it didn't fix the problem so that's how I knew.

I don't want to say your injectors are leaking. I just know that the seals weren't my problem. I'd start with the seals because they are relatively cheap. If you change them and the problem remains, replace the injectors. If you don't drive for thousands of miles in the meantime, you can re-use the new seals so no sweat.

kw_da
10-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I believe you can tell if the injector itself is leaking or not - if the stain coming from between the plastic & metal parts of the injector - it needs to be replaced. I have to do 2 of mine soon ('86 Lxi, 272,00)

David

Oldblueaccord
10-29-2009, 02:18 AM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7666/leakinginjectors.th.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/leakinginjectors.jpg/)

wp

lostforawhile
10-29-2009, 06:48 AM
If the injectors have a lot of miles and you think they are leaking,it's time to replace, they are one of the parts that simply wear out. even if they aren't leaking, chances are they may be leaking internally into the cyl or they are worn enough to affect the spray pattern , this will also affect your performance and fuel mileage. think how many times that pintle inside of the injector has opened and closed over a few hundred thousand miles. they are precision devices, they are probably shot.

lostforawhile
10-29-2009, 06:55 AM
here's a cutaway of a typical injector, you can see there's a lot more to it then you may realize http://www.witchhunter.com/images/injectorcutaway.jpg

here's a bunch of info from them http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcut1.php4

LX-incredible
10-29-2009, 08:36 AM
I replaced the seals on mine once, didn't do anything. Two injectors were leaking at the seam where the plastic top meets the metal body. Check the back of the seams for built up fuel varnish.

Vanilla Sky
10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Those look like they're leaking from the seams, not the seals. Whiles seals don't cost much, I'd just replace the whole injectors, all 4 of them.

Bluntman
10-29-2009, 04:02 PM
It is optmal to change all injectors at the same time, so that all spray patterns are equal on high mileage injectors. And from what I understand, those cheap injectors that you see for $39 or whatever, are just that. Cheap. On the cheapos they are not calibrated precisely, and can take out your ECU in some cases. How it can take it out I can't tell you, I am a Hot Rod builder and my buddy who I trust at another shop told me this a while back. The RC's I believe are around $88 I believe. I used to live in Torrance 2 minutes from them, but now about 30 mins. away.:cheers:

ecogabriel
10-30-2009, 04:40 AM
I had two start leaking pretty bad at ~175k miles. I thought it was seals, so I replaced them to the tune of $40. You can't replace just one seal because they all go when you remove the fuel rail. The seals didn't work. The injectors themselves start to leak from the seams in the housing. I'm not sure what they do when they clean and flow test, but I suspect it won't help if the injector case is leaking.

They cannot fix a leaking fuel injector. They test injectors for flow and spray pattern before cleaning, they clean them up and re-check after cleaning and repeat the process until they get them to flow close to specifications and to one another (3-5% difference between extremes depending on the service) If injectors leak, they may have good working ones to sell.

MessyHonda
11-03-2009, 01:04 AM
i had to change my seals after 160k miles...

2oodoor
10-10-2010, 03:26 PM
ok what other vehicles fuel injectors will work on these cars? the idea being maybe finding some newer out of the junkyard

lostforawhile
10-10-2010, 04:22 PM
It is optmal to change all injectors at the same time, so that all spray patterns are equal on high mileage injectors. And from what I understand, those cheap injectors that you see for $39 or whatever, are just that. Cheap. On the cheapos they are not calibrated precisely, and can take out your ECU in some cases. How it can take it out I can't tell you, I am a Hot Rod builder and my buddy who I trust at another shop told me this a while back. The RC's I believe are around $88 I believe. I used to live in Torrance 2 minutes from them, but now about 30 mins. away.:cheers:

wrong impedence or the coils are so cheaply made they short out and fry the ECU, I don't believe there's any kind of overcurrent protection between the injectors and the ecu, it drives them directly

Dr_Snooz
10-10-2010, 08:32 PM
ok what other vehicles fuel injectors will work on these cars? the idea being maybe finding some newer out of the junkyard

ACURA CL 1997
ACURA INTEGRA GS (1990 - 1991)
ACURA INTEGRA LS (1986 - 1991)
ACURA INTEGRA RS (1986 - 1991)
ACURA INTEGRA SE 1988
ACURA INTEGRA SPECIAL EDITION LS 1987
ACURA LEGEND (1986 - 1993)
ACURA LEGEND GS (1994 - 1995)
ACURA LEGEND L (1987 - 1995)
ACURA LEGEND LS (1987 - 1995)
ACURA LEGEND SE 1995
ACURA NSX (1991 - 1994)
ACURA VIGOR GS (1992 - 1994)
ACURA VIGOR LS (1992 - 1994)
HONDA ACCORD 1987
HONDA ACCORD 10TH ANNIVERSARY 1993
HONDA ACCORD 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1996
HONDA ACCORD DX (1986 - 1997)
HONDA ACCORD EX (1990 - 1997)
HONDA ACCORD EX-R (1991 - 1997)
HONDA ACCORD EXI (1987 - 1989)
HONDA ACCORD LX (1986 - 1997)
HONDA ACCORD LXI (1986 - 1989)
HONDA ACCORD S (1988 - 1989)
HONDA ACCORD SE (1991 - 1997)
HONDA ACCORD SEI 1989
HONDA ACCORD VALUE PACKAGE (1996 - 1997)
HONDA CIVIC 4WD (1988 - 1991)
HONDA CIVIC EX (1990 - 1991)
HONDA CIVIC SI (1989 - 1991)
HONDA CRX 1500 HF 1988
HONDA CRX SI (1988 - 1991)
HONDA ODYSSEY EX (1995 - 1997)
HONDA ODYSSEY LX (1995 - 1997)
HONDA PRELUDE 2.0 S (1988 - 1990)
HONDA PRELUDE 2.0 SI (1985 - 1991)
HONDA PRELUDE 2.0 SI 4WS (1988 - 1989)
HONDA PRELUDE 4WS (1993 - 1994)
HONDA PRELUDE S (1992 - 1996)
HONDA PRELUDE SE 1995
HONDA PRELUDE SI (1990 - 1996)
HONDA PRELUDE SI 4WS (1990 - 1992)
HONDA PRELUDE SI ALB 1991
HONDA PRELUDE SR 1990
ISUZU OASIS LS (1996 - 1997)
Please refer to catalog for application details.

2oodoor
10-11-2010, 02:43 PM
oh geez Snooz , really?

thanks though....
I went thru my junk pile and found the injectors that came with the B20, they were not the orignials , niceguyneal swapped them out. He said they were A20 injectors, about the only disappointing part of the deal...anyhew
I went carbed. lol it would have been nice to have some injectors with less than 50k miles like the rest of motor.
ok so I replaced the ones in the hatch today, but I only used three of those.
The ones I was replacing, well apparently someone has been messing with this car before I got it. The o rings all were blue and really seemed like there was RTV on them or they simply were not made for gasoline. Stuff was coming off them, nasty silicone crap. All of them but one had cracked tip housings. One of the spacers on the rail was missing and I forgot about it when I went to tighten it up and may have almost bent the rail, it doesnt leak though.
This didnt solve my chub chub issue, still has the annoying little misfire. Unless the one injector I decided to keep on there is bad. It doesnt seem to be skipping past 2500 rpm really. Its not bucking or spitting, doesnt seem to lack power really but it could stand to need less throttle to go though.
I guess next I will check valve adjustment and compression test.
Again, now I am doubting the validity of the odometer.