PDA

View Full Version : Sad '78

79cord
10-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Yes another needy Accord.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3327/241/33315120032_large.jpg
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3327/241/33315120033_large.jpg
Acquired front damage & unable to find ready parts went up for sale, having not even seen any in local wreckers for a year or two my resistance failed again.
Not had the easiest of lives having gained a '79 or '80 drivetrain along the way, the engine still healthy but the g/box loosing 3rd gear synchro's.
And filler in its left flank now starting to peel of paint and let in moisture for rust beneath as it starts to fall out. Naturally dash is cracked & seats disintegrating. Rear hatch quite rusty underneath... yet remarkably there doesn't appear to be any other rust & fenders have never been off before, no structural damage, fender might pull straight, I think I have a bonnet.....

Interesting period alloy wheels, aftermarket but presumably fitted new by a smaller dealer.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3327/241/33315120031_medium.jpg

2ndGenGuy
10-25-2009, 11:13 AM
That's awesome! You are my hero man, doing what I wish I could do. Collect all the sad old Hondas I see that nobody wants! Those are interesting wheels too! Do they have a brand name or anything on them? They still look like 13s.

I think 3rd gear is the first to go out in these cars. Mine is going out in my 81 as well. If I really baby it, and let the revs drop way down it goes in just fine. It's very unhappy with a high rev gear change. And even a moderate gear change grinds just a little. I've got a spare in my shed, interested to see what kind of shape it's in... And Kurt from Roadsailing.com says that his is wearing just a bit in 3rd and he's seen it in others as well...

Once again, nice find! Keep us posted. I just love your threads with all your interesting cars! :)

Civic Accord Honda
10-25-2009, 12:28 PM
yeah 3rd is the first to go on older hondas... my 3gees 3rd gear syncro was fucked up lol dubble clutchin ftw :lol:

glad to see you saved another one!

1GCustomAccord
10-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Congrats for saving another one!! :bow:

3rd and 5th are prone of failure, but some owners fails in putting the correct oil to the gearbox, they use 90 gearbox oil and then, the heavy oil cant reach the 5th gear causing its death.
Tha correct oil is the same used in the engine.

79cord
10-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Low oil also leads straight to a noisy 5th.. Sisters car had leaking driveshaft seals....

I haven't managed to get the wheels off yet to check for markings (don't have 21mm wheelbrace & nuts have been tightened "proffesionally") so only the "Speedy" branded bearing caps to go by so far. Yes they are 13", since low-profile tyres to allow larger weren't available in the '70's.

I can't claim the car was a clever purchase since it was a tad expensive & I didn't get a chance to drive it first to know about g/box.
And it's not a project I can undertake anytime soon.
And I'm tempted to steal it's engine for my daily '79 until I could rebuild it's original.

But I did just go & buy a g/box from a depressingly immaculate '82 Prelude in the wreckers that looked like a 4wd had reversed it's tow-bar through its bumper & radiator!

OzAccord81
02-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Hey 79Cord, you wouldn't happen to have any parts you're looking to offload would you? Chasing a couple of things.
Cheers, Glenn.

1GCustomAccord
02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Hey 79Cord, you wouldn't happen to have any parts you're looking to offload would you? Chasing a couple of things.
Cheers, Glenn.

A working clock by chance? :D