PDA

View Full Version : Project A20A3

Ascendancy
10-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I bought a 1988 Accord Lx-i F/I 4door A20A3 Auto for dirt Cheap ($200 USD) the it has 117k original miles.. Run Well there is a exhaust leak for sure and a header stud that looks to be strip and pulled out so that needs to be tap and dyed.

I want to Lighten her up alittle too

I plan do a 5-speed swap ( Not Sure what Tranny yet any advice?) rear Disk's, already have true CAI from AEM and pacemaker headers, Might do the b16 intake mani, NRK spark plugs, bigger injectors, fuel pressure reg and a new 255 lpm Fuel pump??, This is the First SOHC that ive even tried getting okay Hp gains from and my goal on a N/A is right around 150-170ish? not sure if that is possible with the A20a3.. Would love some Tips/Advice from you guys..

Also 1 peanut sized Rust whole on the lower quarter panel and surface rust on the roof.. Take in mind i live in Florida lol but i have a body man for a good friend is going to take care of it for me....

Current looking for Right side power window regulator, Front bumper , 5 speed tranny,

Ascendancy
10-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Anyone have an advice, Tips, or suggestions?

LX-i
10-28-2009, 07:16 AM
150-170 seems possible but not with just headers and a cai

Ascendancy
10-28-2009, 07:28 AM
150-170 seems possible but not with just headers and a cai

Oh of course not lol.. Just looking for some tips for the A series for this is the first time ive messed with them, ive done B,H,K,D series but all in EG civic's+.. and KA,SR's....Like i said i got this dirt cheap and just want something around 170ish as a DD well the teg gets a break/ rebuild =)

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Are we talking 150-170 to the ground or at the flywheel? Either way, that's a significant bump in power over the stock 120. You'll probably need a bit of headwork to see those numbers. You should also consider a mild-grind camshaft.

JFern
10-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Oh of course not lol.. Just looking for some tips for the A series for this is the first time ive messed with them, ive done B,H,K,D series but all in EG civic's+.. and KA,SR's....Like i said i got this dirt cheap and just want something around 170ish as a DD well the teg gets a break/ rebuild =)

honestly building an a series motor is no different than making power in any other motor, and if you have built all those you say you have, you should have no problem. It's the same as every motor, get it to breathe better and faster and you get more power. Head work is a must (bigger valves, P & P, port matching, Chamber polishing), the headers and intake wont hurt but it doesn't mean anything without a good matched camshaft, and you should go OBD1 so you can tune it.

MessyHonda
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
yeah obd1....i had alot of mods but i was untuned...i lost power when i added too much stuff.

Civic Accord Honda
10-30-2009, 07:16 PM
honestly building an a series motor is no different than making power in any other motor, and if you have built all those you say you have, you should have no problem. It's the same as every motor, get it to breathe better and faster and you get more power. Head work is a must (bigger valves, P & P, port matching, Chamber polishing), the headers and intake wont hurt but it doesn't mean anything without a good matched camshaft, and you should go OBD1 so you can tune it.

what he said^
also you can go megasqurit instead of obd1 if your good with wireing and what not :)

Rendon LX-i
10-30-2009, 11:56 PM

yeah obd1....i had alot of mods but i was untuned...i lost power when i added too much stuff.

Thats all she wrote....more flow = more power.....A series just needs to breath period bro. These motors werent meant to make serious hp. key thing is just to build the bottom end basic no cheap but you get the idea. then the head is whats going to cost you the most.

MessyHonda
11-03-2009, 01:12 AM
yup...on my next set up i want to have all the obd1 set up...my o2 sensors did not pick up any signal so i was running rich