PDA

View Full Version : Yes another idle thread. Please help!!

ba109296
10-27-2009, 01:20 AM
So the car I love to drive so much finally needs fixed, I hope!

Its been in the family since the mid 90's and has ALWAYS had this problem!

The car runs great in the summertime. Idles just fine.
In the winter its HORRIBLE. When its started when cold it will do the idle surge from 500 rpm to 1300 until warm. Once its warm it stops..

So I tried to put a new fast idle air valve in it?? The one that the coolant goes to(I am used to dsm's so not sure if the wording is the same). Most of them do the same thing. One of them made it idle good while cold and HORRIBLE when warmed up. It was nuts!!

So after messing with that I finally gave up. Till one day I tried something new. I put a rubber glove into the top of the fiav. It fixed it!! It will NOT idle surge anymore but it idles a little crappy.

I believe I found the problem but I really really really don't want to go spending a crapload of money on a new fiav that doesn't actually fix it!

Any help? Ideas? Anyone want to send me one that they KNOW is good so I can test it out?

kentwat
10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I guess I'm lost as to the rubber glove. Did you cut it and make a new top gasket out of it? In the manual it shows how to adjust it. There is a cold idle solenoid valve also that could be your problem. It is in the black box on the firewall.

ba109296
11-09-2009, 11:10 PM
I put the whole rubber glove down into the valve so that it completely blocks the airflow.

Are there any links to how to adjust this black box or maybe diagnose this issue properly?

AccordB20A
11-09-2009, 11:59 PM
make sure the pipes that carry the coolant thru it arent blocked

1987AccordLx-i
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I guess I'm lost as to the rubber glove. Did you cut it and make a new top gasket out of it? In the manual it shows how to adjust it. There is a cold idle solenoid valve also that could be your problem. It is in the black box on the firewall.

i used to put a peice of beerbox in the passages where that thing mounted to the manifold.. worked flawlessly

Dr_Snooz
11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
i used to put a peice of beerbox in the passages where that thing mounted to the manifold.. worked flawlessly

I don't understand. Can you expound?

BoogerBurns
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Wow that sounds amazing! BUMP!

kentwat
11-30-2009, 05:56 PM
It sounds like you may just need new rubber gaskets for the FITV. It must be sucking air for it to be varying idle.

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't understand. Can you expound?

Hes just blocking it off. Not really need in warm climates the car will run fine and not needed fast idle like in cold weather areas.

PUtting the glove just blocks or catches the escaping air from the valve. I would guess the top of the valve leaks. You can take the top off and turn the plunger on our model cars. Use a quarter or something simliar and lube it some sinces its soft plastic in an alum. housing. I think screwing it in (down) lowers the idle at cold start up. I had to turn my donw since when I bought it at 70k miles it would fast idle cold at 2200 rpms. I turned it down to 1500 since its rarely under 20 degrees ever here thats plenty. Remeber almost all your wear on an engine is at start up (no oil pressure).

Checking the coolant flow and bleeding air from it and the EACV are also good ideas.

wp

1987AccordLx-i
12-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Hes just blocking it off. Not really need in warm climates the car will run fine and not needed fast idle like in cold weather areas.

PUtting the glove just blocks or catches the escaping air from the valve. I would guess the top of the valve leaks. You can take the top off and turn the plunger on our model cars. Use a quarter or something simliar and lube it some sinces its soft plastic in an alum. housing. I think screwing it in (down) lowers the idle at cold start up. I had to turn my donw since when I bought it at 70k miles it would fast idle cold at 2200 rpms. I turned it down to 1500 since its rarely under 20 degrees ever here thats plenty. Remeber almost all your wear on an engine is at start up (no oil pressure).

Checking the coolant flow and bleeding air from it and the EACV are also good ideas.

wp

what he said lol