PDA

View Full Version : My new 89 accord dx carb

brett304
10-27-2009, 09:16 PM
So, I recently bought a 3 g... I love hondas... I was looking to get a cheap honda and putting a couple hundred bucks into it and see how things went... Well... I lucked out this time...

I paid 450usd for a car that had been sitting in my neighborhood for a while... I really wanted the da integra as I remember driving my buddies in 96 or so...Something about that car!!!

I have come across great hondas and had my share of bad luck that nobody seems to have with a stock honda... My poor 96 civic.... I bought it and had to put almost 7 grand into it... I replaced everything to stock.. Its stilll got leaking lower seals and a slight head gasket leak... I used a barrs leak fix and have yet to do the compression test of the result, but it seems like it stopped the oil seepage i saw in the overflow tank previously... I leak a good bit of oil and drive often...

Given my experience with the civic last year and trying to avoid being left without a car (delivery expert), I decided to get a second vehicle so that I can start getting it together while my civic is doing well... So with my experience in preventative fixes etc., I decided to tackle an inexpensive old honda...

Well I got a call the one day... I asked him how many miles were on it and why it had been sitting for a year in my neighborhood.... TO the point.... (I'm making this colorful in hope that you guys love the stories behind them like I do!!! Just joined this forum and this is my first post...

SO the car was draining the battery and killing it... The owner said he didn't want to pay for gas.... So he let it sit.... The paint had algae, the brakes were pretty rusted... The tires needed air... It needed a battery, the passenger door (2 door) sensor is not hitting so its still beeping at me... (please give advice on this if you know)... The drainage areas had clogged and there was a pond in the trunk along with the doughnut and jack.... WE put enough gas in it to get to the gas station, get air in the tires (not that bad really)...

So I found out about a disconnect switch for the battery... Bought the battery and it started up perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just can't let it sit without opening the hood and flipping the switch... NOT A BAD FIX when encountering wiring problems BTW... I've got no reverse lights and I need two tires (pretty low tread on the back ones)... Its white and has very little rust... The steering is tight and the brakes work well...

I didn't expect the car to be this amazing!!! Tonight the car just seemed to wake up... It may have something to do with the weather outside, but I'm hoping its just waking up from its long sleep and ready for a new age!!! I fell in love with it tonight after two frenzied days of trying to get this to come together while still working both days... I'll have more of that during the coming days.... I've got ten days to get this inspected... I'm running low on funds and may have to wait another paycheck.. We get ten days in WV to get it inspected...

So i wish I would have taken the pics before i got started... But i had to charge the battery on my camera and couldn't wait to get the algae off the paint and the pond from the trunk... Its pretty clean now, but it'll get much better!!

I'll tell more about it later and you folks enjoy your evening... I'm grateful for all the reading I've done here previously and will gladly applaude honda engineering for a car that I bought twenty years later that feels better than most of the cars I've driven over the years.... Over the last year or so, I have driven a del sol, a 2004 accord coupe, my 96 civic coupe, 97 civic coupe, 2004-6 rsx-s, 2008 civic si, and plenty of other things... I've been riding in hondas and occasionally driving many of them! This car handles in ways better than the others i mentioned above.... I'm excited... Anyway have a good night and nice to meet you all.. I'll have pics soon!

brett304
10-29-2009, 04:23 PM
So I finished pulling the six-disc changer and xm radio stuff today.. Letting the back seat and trunk board dry out in the house while I monitor for water leakage... I changed the oil and I'm ready to do the thermostat change/flush as soon as possible... I need to fix the door ajar problem and I need to figure out why I don't have reverse lights... I checked the fuses and all seemed well.. Both door mounted seatbelts need fixed/lubricated.... There is a surging idle in neutral but it is intermittant... It seems to happen more on the hills than flat ground... I would like to know what you guys suggest for the transmission fluid... Or maybe I should just pull out the owners manual that still lists the address and date of purchase by the original owners!!! I'm the third owner! What do you guys suggest for fixing the rust... There is a little by the running boards and the lip around the bottom of the car, like where you put your jack... What are your favorite upgrades for this car??? Let me know what you'd do if you were in my shoes! I really like the car, but know it could get much better!!! Gotta finish up and get inspected
!!! Let me know what you guys think... P.s. quite a few views and no words??? Maybe its more exciting for me????? I love these kinds of threads!!! -b

greentee76
10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Welcome....
As for trans fluid( I don't remember if you said if it was auto or manual?) either way do yourself a favor and use the Honda brand from the dealer. I can vouch for the fact that Honda MTF is GREAT.
For the door ajar deal I'm not sure on the hatches but on my sedan it is a pretty basic little switch, I think I needed to clean mine and give it a little tweak so that it would make good contact. Once you have it in your hand you'll see what needs to be done.
Hope this helps, and good luck.

brett304
10-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for stopping by and joining my thread... My car is a 5 speed transmission... I usually use honda fluid in my civics just wanted to make sure thats what you guys tend to run in these 3gs.. Still working on the door ajar problem... I think mine is locked up pretty bad and I'll need a new screw once I get mine out... Looks like I'm on the way to the junkyard sometime this week... I wonder if I'd be better off buying a parts car to start with!

Dr_Snooz
10-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Welcome! It sounds like you are really stoked about the new project. It's a special feeling when you crank over an old heap that everyone else has given up on and it fires right up and drives like nothing you've ever driven before. Enjoy the repairs and don't be afraid to ask questions.

parkersnine
10-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Welcome...sounds like you are stoked ! What a great find..Just keep reading the posts and find the shop manual download. Can't remember who supplied it but it is helpful. Have had several 3 geez and in May another one came home that was in sad shape. It had what I call a catheter that collected blowby in a Rainex bottle by way of a clear plastic tube attached to the valve cover . It smoked like a crop duster,leaked oil out of about every gasket and limped home with low oil pressure light on . After much debate and suggestions from the threads here in July I took out the engine and tore it down. Am in process of getting it back together. Have The long Block and Intake assembled. Am awaiting delivery of another carb from a lower miles car The thing that has been difficult is that the two essential ingedients(time and money) are not always in my favor. Last year I bought a 1997 Acura 2.2 CL from a coworker. His son rolled it and the wrecking yard was only going to call it even for the tow and keep it. I bought it and between Ebay and Craigslist I parted out the car. Had the shell hauled off last fall. A parts car is great if you have the place to store it and the bucks for the initial investment or visit your local boneyard and go "parts shagging."

brett304
11-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I found this old honda and didn't realize how much I was going to love it... But I had already given my word to a coworker who needed a delivery vehicle.... He said that he'll sell it back to me one day, but I'm really bummed out about it.... I replaced the bulbs for the reverse lights, break pads installed, lubricated the door sensor (which took care of it for the most part, comes on sometimes when you hit a bump)... Used Nag Champa incense to get rid of the smell!! Still needs rotors (minor surgery involved) replaced, seatlbelts lubricated, the idle surge issue dealt with... The trunk doesn't work by key, only by latch... Kinda wierd starting sometimes, but pretty awesome most of the time....

I always liked the 4th generation accords as my brother used to buy them growing up, but I really like this car!! I want one of these cars badly!! I love the coupe version and really wish there were more of these cars readily available... The parts/upgrade options seem somewhat limited but all in fun!! I really want to get one of these again (or my baby back!) I've been searching everywhere since letting him have mine, and most of them seem pretty beat! They're also pretty expensive from what I see when in decent running condition!!

Still like to know what you guys suggest for upgrades!! Thanks and enjoy!!

brett304
11-07-2009, 08:25 PM
So I guess I have to have five posts in order to post an image! So here's a quick bump so I can post pics for you guys! After all this is the pics forum!!!

brett304
11-07-2009, 08:25 PM
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2803/dsc0194bz.th.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/dsc0194bz.jpg/)

brett304
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7831/dsc0200bw.th.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/dsc0200bw.jpg/)

brett304
11-07-2009, 08:34 PM
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2931/dsc0181b.th.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/i/dsc0181b.jpg/)

itzdave
11-07-2009, 08:39 PM
not too shabby! needs a drop tho... just like all of them.
rims look pretty nice too.

brett304
11-07-2009, 08:51 PM
The rims came on the car as it was, but I like em alright! The car is in great running condition for the most part... It had the engine rebuilt about 4 years ago... Its got 195 on the odometer... I'm thinking that (if i get it back) I'd like to finish the brake work, and work on the suspension/get good tires! Any suggestions for about an inch to 1.5 inch drop and a mild suspension setup for these sweet Wv roads?

Bones
11-07-2009, 09:45 PM
For a sweeeet 1.5 inch drop get some Tokico blue shocks and H&R springs. the results are amazing and it wont mess with your camber enough to cause problems (tire wear). Also keep your eyes open for a 93 Acura Vigor rear sway bar to stiffen up the rear end on the cheap! (make sure to get all of the mounting hardware)

Both sets (shocks and springs) can be had for around $200 each new and if ya look around you can probably find them used for much less.

brett304
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info bones... I was noticing that some of the guys here use the weber carb... I also notice that you can get headers/high flow cat, and catback for this car... What kinds of results are you guys seeing with these cars and these mods??? I'm debating whether or not I'll want to modify these or the DA integras over the next couple of years... I still want at least one of these!!! Thanks for looking and wish me luck... I'm signing the title over tomorrow! :( Hoping to get it back someday though!!!

Joay
11-09-2009, 05:40 AM
In all honesty, these motors don't make any power without forced induction of some kind. The heads just don't move enough air; case in point, justanothermike (look for his threads) spent an ass-ton on an NA motor and only made like 140whp. And that was fuel-injected.

That having been said, Integras are played out and require no real knowledge or ambition to build. So Accords are a lot cooler in that regard. Great cars, though.

Sh4d0w
11-09-2009, 06:33 AM
^^

+1 for proper use of "ass-ton" in a sentence lol

brett304
11-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Yes, shadow, I was thinking the same thing!!! Such a perfect term in my minD!!!! So, I'll look into the available swaps!!! I want to be able to face these smooth WV roads!!! So manueverability is key!!!! Balance!!! Gotta go to work now!!! Deliver food in my 96 civic coupe! Poor car!

Sh4d0w
11-09-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm kinda scared to total up what I spent on my 3G, ad I'm sure its not pullin 140whp with only a short air ram, headers and exhaust, but I sure love it.

Someone else said it better, but I think the meaning of life is found somewhere in the 3G.

brett304
11-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Again shadow, you hit the nail on the head.... The meaning of life may possilbly be hidden in this jewel of a car!!! I can't stop thinking about my 3G... I absolutely love it... I watch it from afar and miss it terribly,... I was looking through my pic shoot tonight and thinking about it.... I want it back so bad!!!! I don't really care if i'd get more power out of it... I just want to drive it again... And baby it, do the work, etc... Would love to do the shocks/struts... Take road trips to the hidden reaches of west virginia!!!!!! I'll post you guys some more pics!

brett304
11-29-2009, 12:23 AM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6367/dsc0188bc.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/dsc0188bc.jpg/)

MessyHonda
11-29-2009, 06:17 PM
looks good