PDA

View Full Version : pulled dash today..and it was a biotch!!!!!

mattr89lxi
10-30-2009, 09:28 PM
so went out to the parts yard to pull a dash 2day and it took forever! there are so many bolts holding that damn thing on! well now i got the dash i have to pull the one out of my car and put in the new one..

so my question is....is there a write up on here on how to swap out or take out a dash the proper or easiest way? cuz we broke alot of shit trying to get that one out and i dont want to break anything on my car trying to get it out
\
please help me out guys!

2ndGenGuy
10-30-2009, 10:59 PM
There is a really good writeup in the factory service manual. I'd pick one up for $20 on eBay, or maybe your local dealer will have one. I'm pretty sure that's your best bet because I doubt there's a writeup here... at least, I've never seen one. You probably should just have a factory manual anyways. OR you can download the manual here:

http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php

Pico
10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
I remember my 1st time and it was a pain finding all the bolts,
there are 1 on each side of the dash, 1 behind the clock, 2 beneath the radio area, one to the right of the glovebox and another to the left of the steering colum, thats all I can remember. you also have to be cautious with the heater and vent cables located behind the dash.
After youve done it a few times it's easy as fuck to do.

88Accord-DX
10-31-2009, 10:52 PM
I think I looked at some diagram on the net to get a idea where the bolts are, but ^ Pico pretty much nailed it. It took way longer than I planned. Of coarse I was drinking beer & started to get drunk which didn't help. As mentioned, watch them vent cables, especially the one where the defrost vents are. The cable hold down thing sucks. I need to pull the radio back out to jack with it, possibly the whole damn dash.... . Anyhow, I'll wait till it gets warm to fix it.

mattr89lxi
10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
broke a couple things and well the car lukes like shit right now but ill post pics as soon as we get it decent looking thanks for the help guys!

mykwikcoupe
11-01-2009, 11:07 AM
If it broke on the plastic welded (melted) pieces Ive always just reassembled it and dropped some super glue on the welded parts. they havent ever come apart and Ive done it a few times. My 1st dash pull took me 3 hours and it sucked. I broke alot. Now it takes about 20 minutes and no seat. Id recommend pulling the speedo cable from the engine bay supports so you can pull it out from the dash a few inches to make reconnecting easier. When you pull the center vents rotate them totally vertically and it makes removing from the bracket that much easier.

Hash_man_Se_i
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Last time I did mine, I made out pretty well, but ended up scratching the face of my gauge cluster like an idiot.... All I did was read my service manual once, and get at it.

I can tell you though, it is much easier to do with two people, when I did it myself it was so damn akward.