PDA

View Full Version : Fan Staying On?

LX-i
11-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Whenever My Car Is Off It Still Sounds Like The Fan Is Going....Has Anyone Else Had This Before? I Have No Idea What It Could Be:wtf:

Civic Accord Honda
11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
they stay on sometimes for about 15 minutes... normaly a sign you should refresh your cooling system
IE flush , new thomostat , inspect hoses replace worn , maybe do water pump if it hasent been changed , and then fill it up with fresh coolant...

Bluntman
11-01-2009, 05:40 PM
There is also a fan timer under the passenger seat. How long does it stay on? Some cars are meant to do that for a short time. I agree with the coolant thing also.
http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/12/59/29/63/13se0010.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=664&u=12592963)

Dr_Snooz
11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
It is perfectly normal for the fan to run for 15 minutes after turning off the engine. That said, the coolant can turn quite nasty if it isn't regularly changed.

Hey has anyone figured out a good way of disposing of old coolant? My, um, "friend", yeah, my "friend" just pours it out on the ground because no one will take it to recycle it.

AccordB20A
11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
^^ mine usually ends up on the ground too

Civic Accord Honda
11-01-2009, 09:32 PM
It is perfectly normal for the fan to run for 15 minutes after turning off the engine. That said, the coolant can turn quite nasty if it isn't regularly changed.

Hey has anyone figured out a good way of disposing of old coolant? My, um, "friend", yeah, my "friend" just pours it out on the ground because no one will take it to recycle it.
yeah my "friend" does that as well

Rendon LX-i
11-01-2009, 10:03 PM
LOL......i make a hole. dogs tend to like that shit.....no body really takes it....and i shoot alot of water after words....Trying to save the earth some how LOL

nswst8
11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Your local city waste disposal will take coolant. Don't pour it into the drain or onto the ground it will contaminate the water table.

You really need to service your cooling system (probably time for a new thermostat, Radiator cap) Start with the cheapest Radiator cap.

Although these cars fans have a thermo switch that can keep the fans on to cool the coolant, this is a safety feature that acts like an early warning system that you need to address your cooling system.

Mine does not run after turning the car off even when I lived in San antonio, TX

nswst8
11-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Just Google: Antifreeze disposal (for your city)

It's just an act of being lazy to not properly dispose of your coolant.

LX-i
11-02-2009, 07:25 AM
thanks guys, ill check it out when i get home. i appreciate it guys.:D

kentwat
11-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Another thing to do is verify the amount of coolant in your system and bleed the air out of it. There is a valve on the thermostat housing for this.

Oldblueaccord
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Here we mix it with waste oil I dunno why for some reason this is what they do when I bring it in. In the past I would flush it and let the water department deal with it.

Where is your temp guage riding when your driving and where is it after sitting about 5 mins after driving?

wp

Dr_Snooz
11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Just Google: Antifreeze disposal (for your city)

It's just an act of being lazy to not properly dispose of your coolant.

I would have agreed with you two years ago when I lived in the Bay Area. I could drive up the freeway about 15 minutes and dispose of whatever I could find that was foul and I was happy to do so. It's not the same here. The best I can do is sit tight with it until the city decides to have a toxic waste day. Only then can I put it on the curb. I haven't the foggiest idea when they will decide to declare one of those days and am not especially interested in having it around until they get the lead out. Shops won't take it. Junkyards won't take it. The next county over has a disposal facility, but they won't let me bring them my stuff because I'm not a resident. So if they don't give me a realistic way to dispose of it, then they can figure out how to get it out of the water table.

I do like the water department idea though. Doesn't part of winterizing your mountain cabin include putting some antifreeze down the drain to prevent frozen pipes?

It used to be the same with used oil back in the day. It was illegal to dump it, but no one would take, so it got dumped on the sly. Real smart to outlaw something that people have to do.

LX-i
11-21-2009, 07:54 PM
the fan will kick on when the car has been sitting for a while. i havent driven it for about a week and it will kick on sometimes.... i think its possessed....halp.

Dr_Snooz
11-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Seriously? You should probably call a priest, with lots of holy water.

I honestly don't know what that could be, but I'd start by checking the fan timer relay. It could be freaking out. It's one of the modules under the passenger seat. You can also check the fan relays in the under hood fuse box. In the '89 manual, available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php), the section begins on p. 25-110. Good luck with that.

autocrosser
11-21-2009, 09:30 PM
First you need to identify which cooling fan is coming on(most likely condenser fan, drivers side) The fan timer is activated for up to 15 minutes after key is shut off. The timer will activate this fan if coolant temperature reaches setting if coolant temp. sensor located next to the TW sensor.(NOTE: these sensors are the same for 86-87 lxi and the same for 88-89 lxi). For this time of the year the most probable causes would be 1-thermostat failure or 2-faulty coolant temp sensor. It could be a fan timer, but yet to see that on accords. temp gauge can read normal and still have a bad thermostat. fan timer failure is really common on 86-90 Legends.

Use only Factory HONDA parts for correct operation, reliability-dependability. Always change coolant every 2 years or when it looses clarity.

BEST to flush coolant down the drain as if will then be filtered at a treatment facility and not on the ground. If need be add it to your used oil recycling container and dispose.

autocrosser
11-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Electrical trouble shooting manual gives descriptions of how these fans operate and when also known as a ETM book.