PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum leak questions

b_radsmizzle
11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I have an 88 accord LX. Every time i start my car it idles extremely low then stalls. this also happens any time the car is in neutral (very annoying at stop lights) i was told by my friend that its probably a vacuum leak.

Every time i spray carb cleaner toward the metal vacuum lines on back of the carb it seems to idle fine. but i can't seem to figure out where the leak could be. Anyone got any tips on finding the source of a vacuum leak?
would it be easier just doing the vacuum line removal mod? I've heard that the carbed a20's vacuum lines are a constant source of problems.

88Accord-DX
11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
You might need to buy about 10 feet of vacuum line & just replace all the vacuum lines in the area. The next resort is to get one of these mechanics stethescopes & pull the metal part off to listen to where the leak is at. Most auto parts stores sell them.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/160875_lg.jpg

88Accord-DX
11-20-2009, 08:40 PM
also, spray some carb or brake cleaner around the vaccum lines, when the idle fluctuates, you found the leak.

Try that first.. I must have been a little buzzed on previous post.

hondafiend
11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with what 88Accord-DX said. Usually if you use the carb cleaner method you can find leaks. It might be a very small hole that is very hard to see so replacing all the hoses may be the way to go if not the vacuum removal mod that you mentioned. Also if the actual metal tubes are rusted they may have a hole in them so check those as well.