PDA

View Full Version : Tranny cooler?

CzEcHy
11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Alright simple question (yet it isn't in my Chilton manual)..

What is the radiator looking thing in front of my radiator?

I drive an automatic, is it the transaxle cooler?

If so, does it ever need replacing <.<?

labeledsk8r
11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
AC condensor, your trans cooler is actully in the bottom of your radiator

CzEcHy
11-03-2009, 08:48 PM
AC condensor, your trans cooler is actully in the bottom of your radiator

Wow that thing is huge, wish my A/C worked...

Just wondering because I'm replacing the radiator and noticed it..

labeledsk8r
11-03-2009, 08:59 PM
if you dont plan on fixxing your a/c pull it out, pulling that,the compresor, all the lines, compresor brakets (cast iron) and electricla can save u almost 80 lbs (if i remember someones weigh ins correctly)

CzEcHy
11-03-2009, 09:02 PM
if you dont plan on fixxing your a/c pull it out, pulling that,the compresor, all the lines, compresor brakets (cast iron) and electricla can save u almost 80 lbs (if i remember someones weigh ins correctly)

I want it fixed, getting it done beginning of next year (hopefully it just needs recharged or converted..) I don't want to spend more than 400$ for it..

Anyway does that thing ever need replacing? It looks to be in good condition, just a bit rusty looking...

And should my new radiator contain the tranny cooler to (stupid question I'm sure)

labeledsk8r
11-03-2009, 09:04 PM
they need replaceing if there rusting threw , they will have to check it for leaks and such before doing the a/c.

and yes it should. you will see 2 small "nipples that fit a 3/8ths inch hose wich will be your trans fluid lines

lostforawhile
11-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I want it fixed, getting it done beginning of next year (hopefully it just needs recharged or converted..) I don't want to spend more than 400$ for it..

Anyway does that thing ever need replacing? It looks to be in good condition, just a bit rusty looking...

And should my new radiator contain the tranny cooler to (stupid question I'm sure)
MY ac hadn't worked in ten years so i ditched it, I did keep the cast bracket though to move the alternator. everything else went. I have two air conditioners in front, a left and a right, and two smaller ones at the back,they pop open.

CzEcHy
11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Alright well a rock ironically killed my radiator so it's a good thing I just bought one.. Really good thing..

Anyway what type of antifreeze do I use? 50/50 ye? Any color or anything?

CzEcHy
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Alright well a rock ironically killed my radiator so it's a good thing I just bought one.. Really good thing..

Anyway what type of antifreeze do I use? 50/50 ye? Any color or anything?

Also how much do I need to fill the little tank and the radiator?

(I hit quote instead of edit, again, sorry..)

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Also how much do I need to fill the little tank and the radiator?

(I hit quote instead of edit, again, sorry..)

I was gonna tell you a bunch of stuff to do, but then I read your signature. LOL, it doesn't matter. The car will be dead soon, so just do the cheapest possible. LOL

You can put the cheap green Prestone in. If you get the 50/50 pre-mix, you won't have to hassle with mixing it yourself. If you're feeling like a snob, Zerex G05 is very, very good.

labeledsk8r
11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
^^ whats rong with prestone lol hell im about to put PEAK in the civic tomarrow

lostforawhile
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I was gonna tell you a bunch of stuff to do, but then I read your signature. LOL, it doesn't matter. The car will be dead soon, so just do the cheapest possible. LOL

You can put the cheap green Prestone in. If you get the 50/50 pre-mix, you won't have to hassle with mixing it yourself. If you're feeling like a snob, Zerex G05 is very, very good.
they will get you on price though,it's much cheaper to buy non premixed and a couple of gallons of distilled water at the grocery store. dump each gallon of water half out, fill it back up with antifreeze,cap and shake. now you have two gallons for the price of one gallon of premix

CzEcHy
11-04-2009, 08:26 PM

It isn't that bad I put about the same mileage on the car as a normal person driving to work every day (small pizza place)

Anyway I'd like the most decent, average coolant.. Just whatever my Honda will like..

ecogabriel
11-05-2009, 02:32 PM
they will get you on price though,it's much cheaper to buy non premixed and a couple of gallons of distilled water at the grocery store. dump each gallon of water half out, fill it back up with antifreeze,cap and shake. now you have two gallons for the price of one gallon of premix

I bought non-premixed and mixed it with water; I had a couple of plastic gallon bottles around and did the mixing there; it's not a big deal. Besides, you'll get some mixed stuff in case you need it.

Dr_Snooz
11-05-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm not real hip on spilling the coolant everywhere while mixing and then storing the spare gallon for the next two years till I change coolant again. I used to live near a gas station that sold pre-mixed coolant in quart sized containers. I had a leaky cooling system at the time and always had one of those in my trunk. I'd fill with gas, fill with coolant, check the tires and not have to worry about slopping coolant over everything. God it was wonderful.