PDA

View Full Version : radio interference when using cigarette lighter

mykwikcoupe
11-04-2009, 09:55 PM
So on my hatch. i didnt think i had a radio antenna. When I did the dash swap I found it tucked way up high and out of the way. Im not sure if I routed it wrong or what has happened but I get great radio reception until I pull a load through the cigarette lighter. If something is pluged in I get no issues but when that something pulls a draw the radio reception goes to nothing. Has anyone else experienced the issue? Could it be the antenna is running parallel to the power conductors causing intereference? Thanks guy. Mike

2oodoor
11-05-2009, 05:13 AM
Things I would check are, ensure the radio chassis is grounded and not just thru the antenna.
Make sure the antenna is not shorted by checking for full continueity between the isolated leads of the coax, if so it is.
Also check body ground at the battery, and battery terminal condition.

mykwikcoupe
11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
where is the chassis ground at the radio? I had to swap the harness from the 87 dash to the 88 dash.. I thought I got everything routed and hooked back up perfect but I may have missed something. Is it a physical wire connection or just a bolt that attatches the dash supports to the body. I have all the bolts in and tight.