PDA

View Full Version : Valve seals

russiankid
11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
It is time to do the valve seals on my 3gee. It puffs out a lot of blue smoke when its very cold out and it sat over night. It also burns a quart between oil changes so I am 95% sure its the seals. Anyway, questions is what is the best method on preventing the valve from dropping down? Do I do the old fashion rope trick or hallow out a spark plug and use compressed air? Also, what brands do you guys recommend for seals?

88Accord-DX
11-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I'd go with compressed air. As far as seals, probably would get what Napa can order or OEM.

Civic Accord Honda
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
only thing that would worry me about compressed air is that all the air might cause a head gasket to leak if it has a week spot but idk since the engine is probably under alot more stress when actually running lol...

and instead of hallowing a plug why not just get a cheap compression tester and use the hose with the attachment on it? lol

russiankid
11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
only thing that would worry me about compressed air is that all the air might cause a head gasket to leak if it has a week spot but idk since the engine is probably under alot more stress when actually running lol...

and instead of hallowing a plug why not just get a cheap compression tester and use the hose with the attachment on it? lol

160psi vs 20psi to hold the valve in?:wtf:

gp02a0083
11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
didnt i tell yah i thought i saw stuff outta the tailpipe going to E-town? just go to a hardware store and make a chuck for the air line , ive used around 25psi to keep the valves where they are when i did them in my olds V-8 . heck LOST had a good idea using twine or something as a fail safe . its easy to replace the seals , just getting the springs and retainers is a pain

ecogabriel
11-07-2009, 12:11 PM
It is time to do the valve seals on my 3gee. It puffs out a lot of blue smoke when its very cold out and it sat over night. It also burns a quart between oil changes so I am 95% sure its the seals. Anyway, questions is what is the best method on preventing the valve from dropping down? Do I do the old fashion rope trick or hallow out a spark plug and use compressed air? Also, what brands do you guys recommend for seals?

I did the rope trick when replacing valve seals on my Civic. Easy to do, cheap and safe. I would do it again. I got my seals from NAPA.

greentee76
11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I replaced mine bhy rotating the engine to TDC for each cylinder. I was not comfortable with this myself but had experienced mechanics with me while I was doing it. With the piston at TDC the valve will not drop far enough to lose it.