PDA

View Full Version : ....Charging system problem

Ayeobe
11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
So im back?! Kinda. My computer isnt working, wich is why i havnt been around. Im on another computer at the moment, because i need a bit of a second, third and fourth opinion.

I was cruisin, and my batt light came on. So im like "oh snap" and i make my way home. When i do a bit of voltage testing, the batt goes from 11.5 to 3VDC, while my engine does its 900 to 1500 RPM oscillation ...cause its special. Before i turn on my engine, though, my battery light never turns on.. then it turns on after i turn the engine on. Isnt it suposed to turn on for a bit before the engine is on? Is the car failing some kinda pre-start up check that the batt light lights up for if its good, or is it just automatically off because of the problem it detected while it was on last? If its off before the engine is on because of a failure of some sort, then it cant be the alternator... cause it has to spin to charge, so the car dosnt know if it can charge or not before its spinning...
Also, to add to all the confusion, the battry died from sitting for 4-5 days. its at 1.5V last i checked. Odd?!

So, opinions, suggestions, head-scratches.. all are welcomed.

nswst8
11-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Check your Alt belt, positive bolt on Alt to ensure it is snug.

Volts on battery should be 12volts engine off. Should not drop below 9.5 volts while you are starting the car. If it does you have a bad battery. Check fluid levels.

After engine is running you should see the voltage kick up to 14 volts which is what your Alt should be putting out. Check battery cables for oxidation, bad connections, clean your battery post and contacts for good clean metal.

Ayeobe
11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I think im gonna get another battry, on warantee, and ill look for that positive bolt... what is the connector on the back of the altornator under the intake? it has a few wires coming out of it..

Bass Man
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I they are the same as Suzuki (forien), then one wire is the idiot light indicator, and the other is the exciter wire that tells the alternator to charge. Like mentioned, check the corrosion on the battery wires.

88Accord-DX
11-07-2009, 03:20 AM
sounds like a parasitic draw. need to check alt & battery 1st along with terminal posts.

Oldblueaccord
11-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I think im gonna get another battry, on warantee, and ill look for that positive bolt... what is the connector on the back of the altornator under the intake? it has a few wires coming out of it..

its a good start with a new battery. Next get the charging system checked while your there. Most parts stores do it for free. The main power wire for the alt. is the big one.

wp

Ayeobe
11-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Two mechs with very little testing said it probabily has a short in the altornator. I wonder if it might have a cut in the wire?! or something... But if it is the altornator, then i need a new one.. they also said it was not worth fixing due to the body, idle controlls, ext...

Anyway, Im lookin in the awesome still very full sales pages for 3rd gen accords.
(now that my computer works)

lostforawhile
11-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Two mechs with very little testing said it probabily has a short in the altornator. I wonder if it might have a cut in the wire?! or something... But if it is the altornator, then i need a new one.. they also said it was not worth fixing due to the body, idle controlls, ext...

Anyway, Im lookin in the awesome still very full sales pages for 3rd gen accords.
(now that my computer works)
they will always say that because they don't want to screw with it.

ShyBoyCA6
11-13-2009, 09:48 PM
maybe your alternator but if you take it to a shop they'll probably tell you need a new alternator and probably check for ripped wires or a short some where