PDA

View Full Version : T. belt, condition ~ replace?

paul
11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey guys,

In theory the car is due to a new timing belt (130k miles). There's a Gates brand belt on the car now, and it's in great condition, at least in terms of general "belt" appearance/wear.

Taking into consideration that I baby the car in terms of rpms etc, I'm guessing I can hold off through winter with the current belt... or not??

In other words, how often do timing belts that appear to be in great condition fail?

Thanks!...

w261w261
11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Do you know when and at how many miles the current belt was installed?

I'd say you could probably make it over the winter.

paul
11-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I bought the car around 1.5yrs ago with 78k miles on it, the previous owner told me the belt was "just done"...

I might play it safe & have it replaced anyway, what's the labor on a timing belt, around $375-450?

nswst8
11-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Thats about right for a timing belt, less if you can find a side job mechanic. Like me, I'd charge $50-100 + parts. easy day for timing belt.

88Accord-DX
11-13-2009, 10:13 PM
The belt has been replaced at 78K if it says Gates on it. You only have little over 50k on it. To be safe, change it. Typically, it should be good for another belt interval which is probably over 10k (not sure at this time off my head) & you'd be OK for winter.

BTW- If you have the receipt of the belt purchased that says Gates on it & it breaks before it's interval, along with it done at reputable ASE shop, they will cover any cost from it breaking.

If you take it to a shop, parts & labor would run around $350-$400 (you pay list price for parts if you don't bring your parts in) depending where you take it & if you get the tensioner replaced.
On a side job for me, I'd charge around bill depending if I had the time.... The hardest problem for most DIY fixers is getting the crank bolt off...

Vanilla Sky
11-14-2009, 12:14 PM
With timing belts, when in doubt, change it out.

Dr_Snooz
11-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I think you'll be fine. I have a hard time even finding a recommendation from Honda on when to change the timing belt. Some schedules say 90k miles and others say 60k miles (mostly stealerships with new buildings to pay for). The manual, available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php), gives instructions on checking the belt for wear on p. 6-20. If it's not worn, then you'll be fine. I've heard stories of some seriously jacked up belts, chunks missing, strands hanging off, etc. that drove just fine. You probably have lots of miles to go before getting to that point. If it does happen to break, these aren't interference engines so you'll just need a tow, not a new engine.

paul
11-15-2009, 04:51 AM
...If it does happen to break, these aren't interference engines so you'll just need a tow, not a new engine.

Regarding it being a interference engine, I've heard/read it's rpm dependent?

e.g. no damage resulting from it breaking while idling at a intersection, but 3k rpm on the highway is another matter?

Dr_Snooz
11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Regarding it being a interference engine, I've heard/read it's rpm dependent?

e.g. no damage resulting from it breaking while idling at a intersection, but 3k rpm on the highway is another matter?

We've had a number of members throw timing belts all across the rpm range and I don't think any of them had trouble.

russiankid
11-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Timing belt kit is cheap and replacing it is not hard either. Just get it done and forget about it. I have a Gates timing belt on my car with 15k on it right now, still looks brand new.

Xulfiqar
11-21-2009, 04:38 AM
the belt will take it if its not glazed or have the hardened glaze - check the tensioner roller - for any noise or roughness.

My T-belt recently caught fire due to a siezed tensioner and melted the top belt cover off, luckily this was at off idle speed and the valves didnt smash, had to scrape and buff the belt pulleys for 3 hours