PDA

View Full Version : Help with ECU

ShyBoyCA6
11-08-2009, 05:42 PM
My ecu from my 1988 accord has a steady red light i dont know what it means wondering if other 3geez members had this on their ecu or know what it stands for
Thanks in advance

nfs480
11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
I believe it means the ECU itself is bad.

Oldblueaccord
11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Try pulling the clock fuse for 5 mins to reset it and see if it will go away.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26342 codes list

wp

carotman
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM
check inside for corrosion or bad capacitors/components.

ECUs will not fail without a reason.

ShyBoyCA6
12-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Well I changed the o2 sensors and the check engine light is still on ima try resetting the ecu and if that doesn't work ima need to get a new one or go to a mechanic what the steady light means (red light)

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Has the car ever been flooded? That's real hard on the ECU.

ShyBoyCA6
12-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Hmmm come to think of it I always been having a feeling that my car might have a crak on the bottom of the car and last week when it rained my carpet was wet but didn't reach my computer and I was reading the ecu codes one more time and I saw the first one no flashes means ecu ima take pics of the damages from previous onwers and I check the plugs to see if it was losse and it wasn't only in the fron I did a inspection before I thought about lifting the car but don't wanna do it since its a 21 year old car no jacks till I se what's wrong with it and ima need a new or used ecu for a fuel injection 1988 accord lxi

carotman
12-18-2009, 07:19 AM
check inside for corrosion or bad capacitors/components.

ECUs will not fail without a reason.

Do what he said.

w261w261
12-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Hmmm come to think of it I always been having a feeling that my car might have a crak on the bottom of the car and last week when it rained my carpet was wet but didn't reach my computer and I was reading the ecu codes one more time and I saw the first one no flashes means ecu ima take pics of the damages from previous onwers and I check the plugs to see if it was losse and it wasn't only in the fron I did a inspection before I thought about lifting the car but don't wanna do it since its a 21 year old car no jacks till I se what's wrong with it and ima need a new or used ecu for a fuel injection 1988 accord lxi

HOLY RUN-ON SENTENCE BATMAN! And, if you're afraid to put a jack on it you should be afraid to drive it. Start looking on eBay for another ECU. You have to get the right one, as they are different for manual/auto and f.i./carb. If you're patient, you can eventually get one cheap. I have one in my garage, waiting, that I paid 10 bucks for.

2drSE-i
12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Just FYI, im running a manual ECU on my automatic, no problems.

carotman
12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, they're the same for manua/auto on our cars.

Bluntman
12-22-2009, 04:30 AM

I see you are up early also. It is raining hard here in Orange County. How about there. Hope you're car is inside.

ShyBoyCA6
12-22-2009, 04:43 AM
I see you are up early also. It is raining hard here in Orange County. How about there. Hope you're car is inside.

yup i just cleaned out the garage so i will be parking her there when it rains and it just cloudy but might rain on the weekend or on christmas

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 04:16 PM
alright guys tomorrow im going to the junk yard need to know if it matters what type of computer you put in?? can you let me know what i would need?

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
does it matter if its from a different year? and ecu number?

joebeets
01-02-2010, 05:59 PM
There's no check engine light. What light are you referring to?

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 06:47 PM
ecu steady red light doesnt blink or nothing saw the codes but 00 means ecu

Civic Accord Honda
01-02-2010, 06:48 PM
ecu steady red light doesnt blink or nothing saw the codes but 00 means ecu
code 00 would mean no light... i think its supposed to come one when the car is running... dont quote me on this...

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 06:52 PM
well which one is it for the ecu cause it doesnt give me a any codes what could be wrong at first i thought it was the o2 sensors but change it and still on and we tested it yesterday and didnt blink any codes so was thinking if it matters what year of the ecu you get from the 3g accord?

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I would stick with an ECU from an '88 or '89.

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 09:11 PM
alright thanks dr snooz ill be looking for a ecu tomorrow and post pics and hopefully that light turns off

w261w261
01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
It's been awhile since I decided to lay up a spare ECU, but I think there's a site or maybe Honda can tell you, if you give them the serial number, they can tell you what cars it will fit.

Bluntman
01-03-2010, 08:42 AM
alright thanks dr snooz ill be looking for a ecu tomorrow and post pics and hopefully that light turns off

Pick your part is still half price today. I was on a 89 fuel injected yesterday at the one in Stanton, at Beach and Ball. That is in Orange County. Knotts Berry Farm would be the "general" area.

ShyBoyCA6
01-18-2010, 04:41 PM
sup guys well i didnt find a ecu since they didnt have 3g accords so was thinking would a prelude ecu with a a20a3 engine work on our cars and im only curious is all if it does ill be like holy shit a boosted a20 3g lol or kinda like a chipped ecu lol

feel free to say no unless you know someone that has tried

MessyHonda
01-20-2010, 12:55 AM
sup guys well i didnt find a ecu since they didnt have 3g accords so was thinking would a prelude ecu with a a20a3 engine work on our cars and im only curious is all if it does ill be like holy shit a boosted a20 3g lol or kinda like a chipped ecu lol

feel free to say no unless you know someone that has tried

i dont think the prelude ecu will work with the 88-89 efi system because we have dual stage intake manifold that might need ecu work...also another o2 sensor

ShyBoyCA6
05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
wow did i sound like noob when i posted sorry about that.

well the ecu i got is from 1989 lxi coupe reading pjo LO22 i think and its blinking twice. ok guys trip out on this as i was coming home from school the check engine light came on and the car ran smooth and no bogging! and i was like what the hell is going on?

example: 1.1
^<meaning blink stop blink not in secs really fast and stops for 2 or 3 secs and does it again 1.1. period indicates what? mila sec? well its really not an example but yeah thats the code im getting i dont know if its the ecu that cant handle it or something is off.

i checked the timing today and its at top dead center so i dont know what esle could be the problem. and car seems to run a lil bit better
than before like less struggle on speeding but still making the noise

the car was working fine till i accelerated really fast and all of sudden poosshhh engine lost power and started bogging and it would take off really slow only at low rpm maybe like below 3k. when passing 4k in the tach it feels fine no hesitation what so ever but i still can figure out the problem? could it be the ecu? or a bad Vacuum? and ill be doing an oil change probably this weekend since it needs it.

i hope this info helps this is all i know as of now, oh and if you have questions on anything let me know and ill tell you. thank in advance guys i really wanna get my car running normal again.:o

carotman
05-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Can you take a video of this?

What happened to your 1st ECU?

ShyBoyCA6
05-05-2010, 04:31 AM
the ecu was bad itself i dont know exactly how it got bad but yeah i take a vid of it.< the light on the ecu just stayed on like a member said on here and oh you want the vid of it staying in one spot or being driving or both?

ecogabriel
05-05-2010, 06:28 AM
the ecu was bad itself i dont know exactly how it got bad but yeah i take a vid of it.< the light on the ecu just stayed on like a member said on here and oh you want the vid of it staying in one spot or being driving or both?

Two blinks followed by nothing for a little while, and then the two blinks, and no blinking for a little while, and so on means O2 sensor malfunction. Can't remember for which O2 sensor is for because there are 2 sensors in there.
But if the LED in the ECU stays on all the time I think it means bad ECU... two ECUs ended up with the same problem?... mmmmhhhh
Wait! are you talking about what happened with the old ECU (steady LED) or this also happens now to the new ECU (2 blinks)??? What am I missing here?
check ECU codes table; it is here somewhere

ShyBoyCA6
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
yeah its only detecting the o2 sensors but first it was blinking once and now twice ill have to make a vid of it for you guys to see

Dr_Snooz
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
The ECU I got from the yard was bad. It wouldn't surprise me if you got another bad one. Did you get the warranty?

ShyBoyCA6
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
The ECU I got from the yard was bad. It wouldn't surprise me if you got another bad one. Did you get the warranty?
its not bad and yeah i have warrenty on it but the thing is that it was running fine when i put it no problems or nothing

ShyBoyCA6
05-05-2010, 08:58 PM
you know come to think of it how reliable are bosch o2 sensors?? to think that the ecu would point there out or maybe crossover on the connections would probably be doing this? only seems to run smooth as soon as the check engine light turns on and the ecu is ignoring the the sensors and run rich? maybe theres a connection there...and i got a question for you that had this probably or know anything about it. what would make a engine bog when accelerating from any gear?

answers>
o2 sensors?<
fuel injector?<
fuel pressure?>check and pass
adjusted accel pedal cable?<

anymore??
and last the ECU itself which i doubt or esle the light would be a steady red light.

LX-incredible
05-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Perhaps you have the o2 wires swapped. White is right. Sensor locations are swapped with the pacesetter.

I use NTK or Denso sensors, the Bosch never seem to last as long.

-$MOKIN-
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
So u got a new ecu and now its blinking 2 ? Apparently a constant code is a bad ecu? dude if your carpets gettin wet then your going to blow this one too. And you should check all of your vaucmn lines. Just have it running and spray some carb cleaner on the lines and look for bubbles and idle changes. Thats why you dont have any pedal .
Sounds like a easy solution really. go to the jy and get a exhaust manifold with sensors for 20 .

ShyBoyCA6
05-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Perhaps you have the o2 wires swapped. White is right. Sensor locations are swapped with the pacesetter.

I use NTK or Denso sensors, the Bosch never seem to last as long.

hmm i have the right on green and left on white maybe your right ima see if thats the problem cause its only blinking on the o2 senors and no where else thank you LX-incredible

ShyBoyCA6
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
So u got a new ecu and now its blinking 2 ? Apparently a constant code is a bad ecu? dude if your carpets gettin wet then your going to blow this one too. And you should check all of your vaucmn lines. Just have it running and spray some carb cleaner on the lines and look for bubbles and idle changes. Thats why you dont have any pedal .
Sounds like a easy solution really. go to the jy and get a exhaust manifold with sensors for 20 .

well i fixed the leakage before getting the new ecu so it wont happen again and probably ill do that next cause idle is moving up and down from 750 down to 500 and 750 is the right idle speed and ima see if i swap over the wires since lx-incredible said white is right and will do if it comes to exhaust mani

ShyBoyCA6
05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
CEL came on today and the idle went from 750 to 2k and idle came back down any pointers where i should look at?

Rendon LX-i
05-07-2010, 11:17 AM
i got one here bro if you want it. just pay shipping. i dont need it.its a 88-89 ecu

ShyBoyCA6
05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
how much for shipping rendon??

ShyBoyCA6
05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
well the problem is getting worse as i was going out side my car turned on by itself with no key and it doesnt have a remote start not that i know of when i got the alarm so im going to need a pjo 6821 for my car so it wont happen again

and rendon is the ecu you have a PJO 6821? if so how fast can you ship it??

carotman
05-07-2010, 03:18 PM
If the code goes away when you reset the ECU, the problem is your O2, not the ECU

ShyBoyCA6
05-07-2010, 04:17 PM
If the code goes away when you reset the ECU, the problem is your O2, not the ECU
thanks carotman ill look into the O2 and i just another ecu just in case if anything happens again and ima go with the oem denso O2 senors when i have money to do it ill keep you guys updated on the car and codes

um carotman what would start a car without key or remote start? cause my car tried to start itself right before my eyes and i wasnt working on it or anywhere near it till my sister said your car is trying to turn on..

carotman
05-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Faulty ignition switch
Faulty starter

If the starter gets 12V current on it's solenoid (somehow) then it will turn the engine.