PDA

View Full Version : I got me a Delta 272! Video comparison soon.

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey! I'm excited, so I wanted to post. I went 160 miles away to get a Delta 272 with 75 miles on it. The guy should have his account activated tonight, and he would be a great benefit to the site.

Anyways... I got the old cam out with the gear, cuz the new gear looks better than the old one, so I'm praying I'm not a tooth off...

Right now, I just got done replacing the rockers, which is the most time-consuming thing about the job, and I should have the rocker assembly on in about 10 minutes from now and get the vavles adjusted soon after, then it's fire-up!

I took a video of a 2.5k - 5.5k pull in 3rd and it was good for a 3g, so I'll take a video of the new cam before it gets dark.

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Just got it fired up and it's warming up right now. Like Dave said, these cams make the valve-train sound like all the rockers are loose, but that's how they sound. I'm gonna let it warm up a little, cuz it's never liked cold driving.

Oldblueaccord
11-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Well thats cool. Whats the lash set at anyway is it close to stock or something differant.

wp

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 06:56 PM
007" and 011"

Took it out for an hour and it did really well. I need to lower the float level in my weber, cuz it runs out of gas real quick. I think I need to re-jet it anyway, cuz I don't think it was ever right.

autocrosser
11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Dave here

autocrosser
11-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Dave here, it didn't take you long to get the cam installed. How does the top end perform over the stock cam? Hope it was worth the long drive. Dave(AUTOCROSSER)

2ndGenGuy
11-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Hello Dave. Was that your turbo setup and stuff on Craigslist?

And yes Bass Man, you definitely want to rejet with a new cam.

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey Dave! Great to see you here. What was wrong with your account? I got home around 3:00, then took off and made a video for comparison, then I got to work on the cam about 4:15. I had the cam in at 4:35 and it took me 30 minutes to swap out the rockers. About 5:45 I went out for a test drive and met up with my Italian car mechanic buddy (he used to work on them all... I guess) and he had his 87 Stanza 5dr, so he wanted to race down the road. That Stanza is freaking quick, but I pulled him easy today.

For being untuned, this cam makes a very noticable difference. It's probably the best $:Power upgrade you can do, and for $95 (took me $20 worth of gas... lol), I can notice quite a bit. I can't wait to tune the weber.

I was gonna ask you a couple things, Dave, but I forgot. You ever have good luck with a weber?

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Hello Dave. Was that your turbo setup and stuff on Craigslist?
That's his. Looks pretty stout, simple, and it's ready to go!

autocrosser
11-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi, Yes the turbo set up was mine on craigslist. I've had a terrible time accessing this site .Excuse me if my terminology is poor. Have a few performance parts that someone may could use. These cars are a lot of fun.

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I turned over 222222.2 miles today. I didn't see the .2 cuz the freaking California drivers were pissing me off...

autocrosser
11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't know what was wrong with my account. I just kept logging on again and again, then finally here I am. I was able to find info. that I was already activated. Your guess is as good as mine?

Weber? well best way to tune is with gas analyser.

very happy someone can use this stuff. Dave

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I really want an A/F meter, but I think the cheapest out there is $60, and I won't have play money till next year.

ghettogeddy
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
you got a whole site of people that can use knowledge and performance parts as long as there at the right price of course lol

Bass Man
11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I was reading up on DIY A/F meters, and it looks like I can take a DMM and run it to my O2 sensor, and out of 14v, 7v would be a 14.9:1 A/F ratio and 8v would be something like 14:1 or something like that... I'll have to experiment.

I might be quite a bit off... I might need the voltage regulator, cuz the O2's are 0v - 1v, 1v being 12.1:1 A/F, and 0v being close to 17.5:1...

Edit: Well. Can't do 12v because of the differences in the alternator, so you can't get an accurate reading, so I may do the DIY thing and put the meter in the gauge cluster. I just gotta find certain things that look like they will be hard to find....

sparkmaster123
11-17-2009, 12:31 AM
wow im having a realy hard time understanding anything you guys are saying. i dont mean to sound stupid hear but what is a weber. and what is a delta 272. i have a 89 accord 4dr and am looking for any parts that will make it go faster. heack my pedal bike seems like its faster sometimes.

Bass Man
11-17-2009, 08:11 AM
The main thing is what state you are in. If you don't have smog, you can make it go a whole lot faster, but if you have smog, you can't really do anything.

The weber is an aftermarket carburetor that can be adapted to just about any 4-6 cly. car with a carb setup, and once tuned perfectly, they are hard to beat.

The cam (Delta re-grind 272) used to be a stock cam, and Delta built it up and made it bigger, which moves the power-band from stock to 3000-6000. The stock A3 cam (I think the EFI cams are bigger) would stop pulling around 5k RPM, and this new cam pulls hard till redline. Mine only pulls hard till about 6k, then my weber runs out of gas and it starts surging with the fuel pump. I think my floats aren't adjusted right, plus with the new cam, it's getting more air and my weber isn't tuned right for that, yet.

cygnus x-1
11-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I was reading up on DIY A/F meters, and it looks like I can take a DMM and run it to my O2 sensor, and out of 14v, 7v would be a 14.9:1 A/F ratio and 8v would be something like 14:1 or something like that... I'll have to experiment.

I might be quite a bit off... I might need the voltage regulator, cuz the O2's are 0v - 1v, 1v being 12.1:1 A/F, and 0v being close to 17.5:1...

If you want to try and read AFR from the stock sensor don't bother. The stock sensor is a narrow band type that is really only good for determining if the AFR is richer or leaner than stoich (14.7). Theoretically it's possible but the voltage curve is non-linear and very steep.

To get readings accurate enough to tune with you need a wide band sensor and controller. About the cheapest you can find one for is around $200. Like this:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-standalone-gauge-kit-lc1-blue-gauge-p-153.html

You might find one a little cheaper if you search around.

C|

Bass Man
11-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow! That is damn expencive for me right now. I'm thinking about finding someone who can tune these to tune it for me, rather than spending $90 on jets and most of them I can't use.