PDA

View Full Version : mod advice for my 89 accord lx carbed

sparkmaster123
11-17-2009, 01:46 AM
hello i have beeen reading lots of posts on here of poeple getting like 250hp or better out of these little guys. i was wondering if theere was anything i could to to get a little horsepower out of mine even though it is carbed. but i dont want it to have to sit in a shop for a month to do it either cause its the only car i have right now. any suggestions. i wnt to at least have as much horsepower as the 04 nissan altima that i just had to give back to the bank. it was only a 2.5 and i smoked lots of cars. it would throw me back in the seat everytime. i miss that car. but i want to be able to do what i did in that with my accord. any help would be much appreciated

itzdave
11-17-2009, 03:57 AM
weber carb, delete all vacuum lines, delta 272, pacesetter header (unless ya can find a DC header), serious headwork, weight reduction...
thats about all ya got unless ya got some serious money...

2ndGenGuy
11-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Now that they're available, pick up a Rowland manifold and a pair of DCOE Weber carburetors. :)

Bass Man
11-17-2009, 11:34 AM
weber carb, delete all vacuum lines, delta 272, pacesetter header (unless ya can find a DC header), serious headwork, weight reduction...
thats about all ya got unless ya got some serious money...

That's about it, and after all that, you might touch 200, but a turbo setup is the cheapest way to get to 250hp, and that's not cheap.

I got an A20A3 long block, A1 intake with a Weber 32/36 (Not tuned very well, either), Delta 272, an A3 4-2-1 exhaust manifold with 2" pipe to a flowmaster 40, no vacuums (not even the EGR), an Accel coil, and no weight reduction (in fact, I have about 250lbs of extra audio equipment), and it pulls pretty well. I might be around 130bhp (maybe 120whp) without being tuned, but once I get this Weber tuned.... Holy crap. Before the cam, I was getting 31mpg HWY, but haven't had my cam more than a full tank, so I don't know what that got me.

sparkmaster123
11-17-2009, 03:37 PM
someone said dual weber carbs. is that possible on my car since it only has one carb now. what is the a1 intake and will it fit on my car. the delta272 must be the cam. do you have to pull the motor or anything to get to it to pute it in and how time consuming and hard would it be to a noob like me. also the vacume lines seem like they would be really hard to figure out what i have to keep and what i have to get rid of i read lots of posts on how to do it but they were all way to confusing to me. i would be happy with 200hp if i could even get it to that

2ndGenGuy
11-17-2009, 03:52 PM
You won't hit 200hp without new pistons and headwork at a minimum. That means rebuilding your motor, lots of research and old school engine building... But yes, dual Webers will work fine you basically replace your existing intake manifold with a new one that fits the dual carbs. Do the vacuum removal mod on your car before you even think of bothering with replacing the cams. If you can do that and make your car still run, then you can move on to doing some other engine work on your car. I recommend not attempting to replace the cam until you do some basic engine reading and learn where it is first. Maybe pick up a factory service manual and look at the engine teardown diagrams.

Bass Man
11-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Higher compression pistons also mean you must run high octane fuel, which makes things expencive after a while. Same with turbo. I was wanting to do a Propane draw-through turbo setup on my rig, cuz Propane is $2.24/gallon, it's 110 octane, and it keeps the spool cool.

It took me 2 hours to do the cam on mine, but I'm a test away from being ASE certified.

sparkmaster123
11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
thanks for the help you guys are awseom. i am going to college in the fall to get my ase and some other certificate cant really remember to bad they wont let me do all this work right in the shop. well now i just have to find out how to get that vaccume system out. wish it made more sence to me. have read a few posts about them but dont really make sence to me. thanks alot for the help guys and any extra tips on what vacume parts to take out. pics would be nice it would be nice to find someone that knows what parts to remove but still has them in there vehicle so they could to a pic by pic instruction for us idiots. lol