PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me? Need advice on removing lower timing cover

LewZur
11-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Has anyone ever taken off the crank pulley just using hand tools? I use to have access to an impact but now I dont. I need to figure out a way to get the lower timing cover off just using hand tools. I'm beating my head against the wall here and thought maybe I could get some advice from my 3geez brethren. Thanks in advance guys, I don't know what I'd do without you guys. :cheers:

nswst8
11-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Breaker bar with a pipe extension: with the following options

1. screw drivers inserted in the vents of the rotors to keep the trans from moving

2. wheels chalked

3. screw driver inserted to wedge flywheel

4. position breaker bar against ground in such a way that rolling car backwards applies enough torque to loosen crank bolt

All have been tried sucessfully.

Pnem3
11-19-2009, 07:00 PM
If you can still drive it to a shop, have them break it with air tools and then re-torque it so you can drive back. Once you get it off a time or two, it comes off pretty easily after that.

BTW, I use a long tire iron in the trans slot to stop it from spinning. I use a pipe on a breaker bar to turn the bolt (counter clockwise is off).

Bass Man
11-19-2009, 07:16 PM
With Suzuki's, we use the starter to break the crank-pulley loose. Do these spin the wrong way?

LewZur
11-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll get on it in the morning.

Dr_Snooz
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Is it stuck real bad or are you just trying to keep the engine from spinning when you loosen it. If it's just a matter of keeping it from spinning then that should be pretty easy. If you have a stick, just leave the car in gear and on the ground while you break the bolt. If you have an auto, drop a 1/2" socket extension down the timing hole. I always torque my crank bolt to 108 ft-lbs, so it comes off with a standard 18" breaker bar without too much difficulty.