PDA

View Full Version : Damn it! My brain hurts.

Bass Man
11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I've searched for the last 30 minutes everywhere I can think of, and nothing is definitive.

I'm trying to time my car and the only place I've found is the flywheel through the inspection plug, which is where Autozone said it was. I finally found a mark, and it's 24*. I've heard you want to be 15*, then heard it was 6*... What did I not type in while I was searching?

Bass Man
11-20-2009, 02:06 PM
While I got my Weber tuned today, it showed on the hood that it's 24* ± 2 for the Manuals and 15* ± 2 for Auto's.

charliekuney
11-20-2009, 07:28 PM
What did the 6* come from, then?

Bass Man
11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Older versions?

Dr_Snooz
11-20-2009, 08:16 PM
The timing inspection is actually a multi-step process and you check timing about 4 different ways on these cars. The base timing inspection is with the vacuum lines removed from the vacuum advance pot and in that case should be around ~4* BTDC. After you've checked that, you re-connect the vacuum lines and set the timing to 15*. The distributors on these cars are really complicated and prone to malfunction. The results you get from all the different inspections point to specific parts that might be failing.

Bass Man
11-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Before I got my weber tuned today, I had the vacuum advance on the manifold and on the pot closest to the dizzy. The guy who tuned my weber moved the line to the back of the carb, and to the pot farthest from the dizzy. This made a pretty damn big difference!!

cygnus x-1
11-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Before I got my weber tuned today, I had the vacuum advance on the manifold and on the pot closest to the dizzy. The guy who tuned my weber moved the line to the back of the carb, and to the pot farthest from the dizzy. This made a pretty damn big difference!!

That doesn't sound right. Did he say why he did this? The outer dizzy port is for cold start advance and only changes the timing by about 4 degrees. If you are only using this port then you have vacuum advance disabled for the most part. It will run like this but not as well as with full advance.

The port on the back of the carb is ok as long as it's a full time vacuum source and not tied to the throttle. At idle it should have full vacuum.

Check the timing as DR_Snooz describes. At idle, it should be 4* BTDC with the vac advance disconnected, and 22* (carb) or 15* (FI) with the vac advance connected.

C|