PDA

View Full Version : WTF, Honda? check engine light/idle

jg09
11-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Yesterday, I drove the 3g down into Bellingham at about 2, drove all around bellingham doing what I needed to do, and then drove all the way back up to my house with my gf and got there around 5:30. At about 7, a friend of mine comes over and we all pile into my car to go somewhere. I go to start it and it starts up and immediately dies. So I try and start it again a few more times, and it does it everytime. I could keep the rpms up manually, but it couldn't do it itself. So finally after keeping it up manually long enough, it finally sort of holds idle so I go out on a shakedown run to see what's going on. In drive when I came up to stop signs, the thing would shake like a crazy mofo and fight to not stall, but otherwise, it'd be ok. However, the check engine light came on throughout this whole process. When my friend went home, i had to take my gf back to her place, so we take the 3g back down the mtn w/ the check engine light on the whole way and when I pull into her driveway and stop, the problem magically went away! However, my check engine light is still on. Any ideas as to what is going on here? Normally in park, the engine jump back and forth between 500-1200 rpm, but I know what causes that. but last night, it didn't matter what gear I was in, it was just about stalling.

kentwat
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
What codes are stored in the computer? It is located under the drivers seat. Pop off a little cover and you will see the ecu\computer light. Turn the switch to the on position just like as if to start it and then check to see how many times the light blinks. Then do a search on here for ECU codes and report back.

Bluntman
11-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Here is the code list http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26342

1987AccordLx-i
11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Yesterday, I drove the 3g down into Bellingham at about 2, drove all around bellingham doing what I needed to do, and then drove all the way back up to my house with my gf and got there around 5:30. At about 7, a friend of mine comes over and we all pile into my car to go somewhere. I go to start it and it starts up and immediately dies. So I try and start it again a few more times, and it does it everytime. I could keep the rpms up manually, but it couldn't do it itself. So finally after keeping it up manually long enough, it finally sort of holds idle so I go out on a shakedown run to see what's going on. In drive when I came up to stop signs, the thing would shake like a crazy mofo and fight to not stall, but otherwise, it'd be ok. However, the check engine light came on throughout this whole process. When my friend went home, i had to take my gf back to her place, so we take the 3g back down the mtn w/ the check engine light on the whole way and when I pull into her driveway and stop, the problem magically went away! However, my check engine light is still on. Any ideas as to what is going on here? Normally in park, the engine jump back and forth between 500-1200 rpm, but I know what causes that. but last night, it didn't matter what gear I was in, it was just about stalling.
hmm.. sounds like your IACV could have a short in it... that happened to me once..

jg09
11-21-2009, 12:53 PM
well, in a strange turn of events, I went out to the car after posting that and drove around the block and can't recreate any of last night's issues. And it seems to be running pretty dang well, too!

charliekuney
11-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, doing this to my car has caused the same problem (I'm not good with car parts' names):

Okay, above the valve cover, there are four red cap-looking things (injectors?) and just behind the third one from the left (looking at the engine from the front) there is a wire with a nasty-colored yellow cap about three inches back (right below the big silver thing that says "PGM-FI). When I took my car into Auto at my school a few weeks back, the teacher unplugged that to see if that had anything to do with the problem I was having. It didn't, but unplugging it caused all of the symptoms you are having, mainly the shaky idle and sporadic stalling.

Is it possible that it's loose or crappy?

jg09
11-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Hmmm, i'll have to check this if it starts doing it again.

Rendon LX-i
11-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a Vacum leak. These cars are 20 plus years old i bet you have factory vacum hoses yet. check your vacum lines. bleed your coolant. Your PCV valve would cause your car stumble and not idle what so ever.

Spray some carb cleaner over the vacum lines and see if the car revs higher. IF so theres your leak.

Dr_Snooz
11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
What was the code?

jg09
11-22-2009, 02:48 AM
I never could get the check engine light to come back on, so I never got one. When I went out to check, there were no signs of ever having a problem!

Dr_Snooz
11-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Yes there are. Turn the key on, slide the driver's seat forward, flip down the little plastic lid and count the flashes.

jg09
11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, the idle thing sort of returned today, but no check engine light. So I'll check on it tomorrow. It's only 7, but I'm dead tired due to my getting up at 2:30am to go to work. But tomorrow is my day off, so I'll update you guys with what I figure out