PDA

View Full Version : i think its time................

fijisac
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
for a 5 speed. i think my auto-shit box is going out, so how much is going to be to sway out all the auto crap and put in a 5 speed. i know i need the 5 speed tranny, axles, shifter, shift linkage, a new clutch kit (clutch, throw out bearing, ect.) if there is anything else i need to do this swap please let me know

Pico
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
you forgot to list the pedal assembly, you can get the swap done in a day or two as long as you have everything.

87AccordLXsdn
11-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Don't forget the manual tranny mount. You can mod the auto one but that's a bummer. Ask me how I know :)

import racer
11-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Whats the diff,they both look the same.And what about the wiring for the key and the back-up lights.

Dr_Snooz
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm doing the swap right now. There is a how-to here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102). Most of it is pretty straightforward, bolt up, no problem.

The pedal box is a serious mother to replace. I had to pull the steering column to do it.

The wiring is the only thing that requires a little thought. You have to jumper the black wire, but there are two different black wires. I figured it was the heavier of the two black wires and we'll see if I'm right after the first start up. You also have to run a wire to get the reverse lights to work. You have to kind of figure out which wires to connect to, but it's all real do-able.

I bought a new flywheel, which, for some inexplicable reason had no timing marks of any kind on it, so i had to figure that out. You might consider getting a junkyard flywheel and resurfacing it. At least you'll have timing marks.

Oh, and definitely get the rear engine mount bracket. The how-to says to get the rear mount, which isn't what you need. You need the bracket that rests on the mount. The bolt pattern is different between the AT and MT even though they look exactly the same. I had to make a special trip to the junkyard to get the right bracket.

I rebuilt my tranny before installing and that turned out to be a very smart move. The mainshaft has completely destroyed. I ordered another tranny from a full service yard and between the two, ended up with a really good finished product.

import racer
11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
If you use the wiring harness from the 5-speed car,do you need to do any re-wiring to get reverse lights to work.

snoopyloopy
11-25-2009, 07:09 AM
If you use the wiring harness from the 5-speed car,do you need to do any re-wiring to get reverse lights to work.

not sure, but why would you put yourself through the agony of replacing the wiring harness when all you have to do is cut and splice a wire or two?

Dr_Snooz
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
not sure, but why would you put yourself through the agony of replacing the wiring harness when all you have to do is cut and splice a wire or two?

LOL. For reals. Replacing the harness is definitely not the easier method.

ecogabriel
11-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm doing the swap right now. There is a how-to here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102). Most of it is pretty straightforward, bolt up, no problem.

I bought a new flywheel, which, for some inexplicable reason had no timing marks of any kind on it, so i had to figure that out. You might consider getting a junkyard flywheel and resurfacing it. At least you'll have timing marks.

Oh, and definitely get the rear engine mount bracket. The how-to says to get the rear mount, which isn't what you need. You need the bracket that rests on the mount. The bolt pattern is different between the AT and MT even though they look exactly the same. I had to make a special trip to the junkyard to get the right bracket.

Try putting together the A/T plate where the torque converter bolts in with the flywheel. Both will go in the same position in the crank so with a couple of bolts plus the locator pin you may be able to do some marking of your own. It won't be perfect but it will help a bit.
Or you may get an electronic timing light. The one I saw years ago only required to mark any belt and then aim the light; once the mark appear static the display would give the advance angle to .1 degree accuracy (I remember laughing when I saw 12.1 degrees...) This solution is more expensive though

I did not know about the rear bracket but reading the how-to a while ago I started wondering whether it would be wise to get the bracket too... well, too bad you had to find out that way :barf:

I'll be installing another auto trans in a couple of weeks to see if I can get rid of the f... vibration. I would have loved to install a 5-speed but my wife drives that car on occasion... :bong: Besides, a stick tranny is far easier to troubleshoot (and a lot more fun to drive)

Good luck with the swap; it'll go fine.

ecogabriel
11-26-2009, 09:46 AM

in the service manual in the section about the auto trans there is a description on how the A/T shifter is wired.