PDA

View Full Version : sorry to many posts. weard idle question

sparkmaster123
11-24-2009, 12:36 AM
sorry didnt mean to make so many posts just keep thinking of new things. lol i was also wondering if anyone nknew what was up with my idle. car has a hard time running without my foot on the gas a little when i first start it but then when it warms up it idles really high like amost 2grand. then when i put it in gear it seems like it wants to die again. just had carb cleaned so cant figure it out. and suggestions?

VTEC_Inside
11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds like typical choke problems. The damn auto choke on this car has been the source of a lot of headaches for me.

With the engine cold, take off the air cleaner lid and the screen. Floor the gas once and check the position of the choke plate, should be closed all the way.

Start the engine and watch the choke plate. It should immediately be open a little bit and then gradually open the rest of the way.

Based on my experience, I'd say that your choke puller diaphragm has a hole in it and the choke spring has stopped working as well.

The choke puller can be "fixed"/patched, but you'll need a spring from a wreckers if thats not working.

ShyBoyCA6
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
getting enough air to the engine?? you sure you dont have a vac leak somewhere?? check the hoses if not then ill look into this and help ya out

sparkmaster123
11-30-2009, 03:41 AM
yea most of the hoses are brand new. and the choke seems to work fine when i check it. starts only open a little and then opens the rest of the way after a few minutes

VTEC_Inside
11-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Ok. Just to be 100% sure then, remove the air cleaner lid and the screen, then start the car.

Give the choke plate a little bit of help and see if it runs better during that initial rough part.

Mine appeared to be working correctly as well, but the puller diaphragm had a hole in it and it just wasn't pulling as much as possible during that first bit before the spring took over. It only needed to be open a hair more to smooth out.

I also have like 4-5 choke assemblies here and they all had holes in the puller diaphragm, so unless you have replaced the carb at some point, I think its a safe bet to assume its likely on yours as well.

Also be sure that its going full vertical once its warmed up. It can be difficult to see for sure through the screen.

As a side note, what condition are your battery terminals in? I've found the car to be quite sensitive to even a slight degradation of the terminal connections.