PDA

View Full Version : 87 Accord LX died while driving...

OptimusPrimeSr
11-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Need some help diagnosing this one. I was on my way home, turning into my neighborhood and my engine cut off. I had just filled up the tank near work about 15 minutes before the car died. I tried starting it a few times, but it wouldn't turn over. I let it sit for 5 minutes, pumped the gas pedal (? not sure if that really does anything) and tried to start it up, and it felt like it was about to catch, but all I got was a long cranking sound. I turned on the emergency lights and waited for my brother to show up to help me push it to the side of the road.

Possible causes?
Battery/Alternator
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump Fuse

I'm charging up my self-starter battery pack and going to head back over there in an hour or two to see if I can get it started and bring her home. If that doesn't work, I'll probably have to get it towed (boooooooooooooooooo!).

How do I check the Fuel Pump and/or Fuel Filter?
Any other possible causes?

Thanks!
Optimus

Hauntd ca3
11-25-2009, 12:34 AM
can you hear the fuel pump running?
it should fire up for a second or two to prime the system when you turn the key to the run position. should just hear a hum from behind the back seat .
if thats working, hold the throttle wide open and crank it for 4 or 5 seconds, get out and sniff the tail pipe, if its getting fuel, you will smell it.
check for spark by sticking a spare sparkplug in a lead and sit it on top of the motor and crank it.
you should get a spark, strong and regular.
if not, quickly whip the dist cap off and crank the motor to make sure the dist is turning( just a quick check to see if the cam belt aint broke. you'd be surprised how often this happens )
check condition of the cap and rotor while you are at it.
also check the plug condition, a way big gap can cause the ign module to pack up , also another way to see if you are getting fuel.
if you have fuel and spark, and she still wont run, time for a comp test .

itzdave
11-25-2009, 01:25 AM
if ya cant hear the fuel pump... (under the carpet behind the back seats) then id think aout gettin a new one...

but if you can hear it buzzing, then id check the fuel filters first. there are 2 on the car, one under the hood near the firewall, and the other is near the rear driver side wheel well under the car kinda.
they are cheap so its an easy and quick way to see if thats the problem.

OptimusPrimeSr
11-30-2009, 09:49 AM
bad fuel pump.

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Make sure the main relay is latched in as well jic. You should have voltage on the pump for about 3-5 secs when you turn the key on.

wp

ShyBoyCA6
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
had that problem too lol shit it was a hassle well fuel pump is located inside the gas tank so you might have a problem if you filled it up all da way well check the main relay for the pump located on the fuse box on the back check to see if its in right maybe poping out and turn the key to the 2 nd position...make sure seat beat doesnt chime or you wont be able to hear it and if you dont hear a whining noise means your fuel pump gave out or check the fuel pump relay fuse. dont jump start the car might be bad if your forcing to turn it on might take about 3 to 4 hours depending how much gas you have to drain.

and if you want to drive it get some extra speak wire and hook it up to the a wire on the fuel pump just a lil bit of the cover off and tie there but dont make it to big and then run the wire from the back under the carpet and wrap around the metal part of the fuse and it would be the fuel pump relay fuse and it would start rite up and after your done use black tape to tape the wire so it wont turn off on way home i also have this set up on mine cause of a faulty fuse box and if you want i can make a vid of it so you can see the set up it will take 15 to 20 mins to do this rite without fail

if anybody wanna say something about this let me know i know somewhat about 87 and 89 accords

w261w261
11-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Could be bad gas with a lot of water in it. I'd get a couple cans of dry gas and put them in the tank. Then, check the fuel filters, they may have died to save the rest of the engine.

ShyBoyCA6
11-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Hmmm um well the only gas that's good for these cars are chevron and shell gas. It might be pricey but its worth and your car would be happy...well if you pump arco then that woild be bad cause its only air pretty muxh and not gas and fuel filters might clogged. And not letting gas through and buy gas treatment. To fight of deposits and build up

Demon1024
12-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Check to see if ya still have a timing belt :(
Check the coil as said. then go into the pump/relay

OptimusPrimeSr
12-02-2009, 10:07 AM
bad fuel pump.

car is running fine now after replacement of bad fuel pump.

...I will say, the watery gas hypothesis is very interesting.

2oodoor
12-02-2009, 10:13 AM
they mix alcohol in so water can mix with gasoline, then that stuff just doesnt have the same characteristics, texture or voltility (sp?):chainsaw:

dacantu
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know how to get the fuel filter off easily? (the one in the engine bay by the firewall) the whole thing turns when I try and remove the nuts on the bolts.

I just ahave a new fuel filter sitting around and I would like to replace it but im having problems with getting it off. I dont want to ruin the lines so thats why im asking for help.

BY THE WAY OPTIMUS IM GLAD YOU GOT YOUR CAR BACK ON THE ROAD. hOW MUCH DID YOU END UP PAYING TO GET A NEW FUEL PUMP? AND WAS IT HARD TO REPLACE?

zack_attack2010
12-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know how to get the fuel filter off easily? (the one in the engine bay by the firewall) the whole thing turns when I try and remove the nuts on the bolts.

I just ahave a new fuel filter sitting around and I would like to replace it but im having problems with getting it off. I dont want to ruin the lines so thats why im asking for help.

BY THE WAY OPTIMUS IM GLAD YOU GOT YOUR CAR BACK ON THE ROAD. hOW MUCH DID YOU END UP PAYING TO GET A NEW FUEL PUMP? AND WAS IT HARD TO REPLACE?

Replacing a fuel pump in an accord is extremely easy, just lay down the back seats and pull up the rug in the trunk and its a little metal disc you pull off(in my car it was held down with a black goo tar substance) simply unbolt it pull out the arm and put the new pump on and hook it back up, the only thing is your in some akward spots when trying to get a wrench in for the tank access, but thats about it.

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Use an impact wrench if you have one. Otherwise, you'll have to find a way to hold it steady while you turn.

dacantu
12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Replacing a fuel pump in an accord is extremely easy, just lay down the back seats and pull up the rug in the trunk and its a little metal disc you pull off(in my car it was held down with a black goo tar substance) simply unbolt it pull out the arm and put the new pump on and hook it back up, the only thing is your in some akward spots when trying to get a wrench in for the tank access, but thats about it.

I was talking about the one in the engine bay

Use an impact wrench if you have one. Otherwise, you'll have to find a way to hold it steady while you turn.

and that sounds like it might work. im going to try it this weekend. thanks snooz