PDA

View Full Version : quick spark question

sparkmaster123
11-24-2009, 07:37 PM
what are the best plugs and wires to be running in my 89 lx carbed. and would it be a good idea to get a hiwer powerd coil to. if i got higher powerd coil would i have to change or mod anything else? will a difrent coil work with out distributers?:eek:

CzEcHy
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
what are the best plugs and wires to be running in my 89 lx carbed. and would it be a good idea to get a hiwer powerd coil to. if i got higher powerd coil would i have to change or mod anything else? will a difrent coil work with out distributers?:eek:

NGK spark plugs for sure, under the hood will tell you what kind exactly.

ShyBoyCA6
11-24-2009, 08:23 PM

hmm well go with the ngk g power or ngk iridium i got the iridium in my car and its good and new dis. cap and rotor maybe spark cables if they look worn out and your car would turn on faster and act more responsive and i should know cause i changed what i listed and damn she pulls a lil harder than she did before...and if i were you i would gun it on what you have on and then do the change and you'll feel the difference

JohnBoy
11-24-2009, 09:00 PM
if you race it around then you might go a heat range or two colder also

sparkmaster123
11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
uh im confused ngk power and ngk iridium? are them the plugs or the coil? if they are the plugs should i still get a better coil? and what cap and rotor. just the oem?

sparkmaster123
11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
huh? now im even more confused a heat range or cooler? whats that mean?

JohnBoy
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
ngk's are the plugs. the cap and rotor are oe because no one makes a aftermarket one for your cars, and plugs are coded in heat range's when you go to buy them just tell them what car you have and go one or two heat range's colder depending on how much you mash the pedal

JohnBoy
11-24-2009, 09:16 PM
and for a coil you could buy a blaster 2 coil but thats up to you

ShyBoyCA6
11-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Oh sorry man I was talking about the spark plugs and the coil well don't really know which one is a good one for our cars everything was changed when I bought my car

lostforawhile
11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
stick with the original ngk V power plugs, the engine was designed for them and it runs best on them. I've seen all kinds of fancy plugs, and on these old engines the basic V power plugs just work the best. Even on the 98 it had some expensive aftermarket plugs and I swapped back to the recommended V power, and it ran much better. There's a reason Honda used those plugs since the seventies.

ShyBoyCA6
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
v power?? are those the ngk r??? or is it the g power

3gmodifier
11-24-2009, 10:43 PM
the nkg v's are great for average use. i have wasted a lot of money the past years trying differant plugs and wires. for my finally pic, i use nkg iridium plugs(kinda pricey) and nology wires,( the one with built in capacitors, very pricey) that with an msd sci-l and matching coil make a pretty good set up. for regular daily use, just stick with the V's and decent wires.

lostforawhile
11-24-2009, 11:07 PM
v power?? are those the ngk r??? or is it the g power
the r just means resistor , the only time you don't need the resistor is for all out racing,it suppresses rfi interference from the wires

ShyBoyCA6
11-24-2009, 11:10 PM
oh alright cause i had some on my car and they were toasted when i did a change on them and i got some spark plugs that i wont need anymore for 1986-89 accord regular ngk plugs used for only a 1 week and im using the iridium plugs right now and working great easy start up

lostforawhile
11-24-2009, 11:13 PM
the plug for his car is part number BPR5EY-11,the gap is .044, the wire set from ngk is their number HE39 http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/tip/ngk24A.jpg http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/profile/Ngk46-0.jpg

lostforawhile
11-24-2009, 11:16 PM
this is the standard non v power, you want the v power. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/tip/ngk19A.jpg

ShyBoyCA6
11-24-2009, 11:19 PM
hmmm v power looks alot better

lostforawhile
11-24-2009, 11:20 PM
hmmm v power looks alot betterthey are designed from the factory for the v power, ngk works with honda on new engine designs to match ther plugs to the engine

ShyBoyCA6
11-24-2009, 11:36 PM
hmm not bad and whats the specs on the v power like heat range and other stuff?

lostforawhile
11-25-2009, 12:00 AM
hmm not bad and whats the specs on the v power like heat range and other stuff?
not sure off the top of my head,i need to dig through my old app guides, but they are designed to work in your car. I think the only time you might need a different range is if you went turbo, or were racing. I think it lists a different range for extended high speed driving, such as if you drove long distances on the interstates day after day

ShyBoyCA6
11-25-2009, 12:03 AM
oh ok and im going turbo as soon as i buy the kit and other mods

lostforawhile
11-25-2009, 12:06 AM
oh ok and im going turbo as soon as i buy the kit and other mods

I'm not sure what they do now, but for many many years, every honda off the line came with NGK standard, When they designed the a20 series, as with all other honda motors ,Honda and ngk worked together to find a plug that worked with the engine. The old manuals used to spec ngk and they also used to spec Castrol motor oil, that was back when it used to come in the green cans. I have some late seventies early eighties manuals and they said castrol right in the manual, castrol or equivalent.

LxAcc510
11-25-2009, 12:46 AM
I've been told iridium plugs should only go on high performance engines...

I'm using the NGK V Power plugs in my car right now

sparkmaster123
11-25-2009, 01:05 AM
thanks guys for all the advice i will be picking up some vpowers when i get paid. what did you mean by msd sci-l is that the coil or distributor parts? sorry not trying to sound retarded

Dr_Snooz
11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure what they do now, but for many many years, every honda off the line came with NGK standard, When they designed the a20 series, as with all other honda motors ,Honda and ngk worked together to find a plug that worked with the engine. The old manuals used to spec ngk and they also used to spec Castrol motor oil, that was back when it used to come in the green cans. I have some late seventies early eighties manuals and they said castrol right in the manual, castrol or equivalent.

Damn, I learned something again. Thanks Lost!

ShyBoyCA6
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
ok now changing the subject here for a bit ima do an oil change pretty soon can you put castol syntec motor oil in the a20? plus my car has high mileage and i want the engine to run smooth and strong.

JohnBoy
11-25-2009, 09:32 PM
the sci-l is the ignition system the coil is like a blaster 2. but of the top of my head i can't tell you with one goes with the sci-l. call summit or jegs and get a mag. they have a lot of different one's in there