PDA

View Full Version : Remove/Install Windsheild

Juggalo88Accord
11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Im trying to get my car ready to pass inspection at tha track and i need to replace my windsheild my current one has a huge crack all tha way across. I have no idea ware to start or what kind of glue/sealant to use. Anything helps pics would be nice. Also does anyone know of any windsheild restoration kits? Im plan an going to tha junkyard for it and wanna make it as new as possible. Thanx in advance

jasonrebellion
11-26-2009, 02:33 PM
i wouldn't recommend trying to replace your own windshield if you've never even done it before......it's kinda important lol. I don't know about where you live but here in SC if you've got comprehensive you get glass for no deductible

Juggalo88Accord
11-26-2009, 03:02 PM
ya it is kinda important lol ive looked around an its gunna cost at least 100 unless i go to a junkyard. ive got a good mechanic that works cheap but i would have to get tha windsheild without breaking it to have him do it. That is my biggest concern is removal

A18A
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
i just got some stuff from a hardware store that said its good for windshields :D just gotta make sure you seal it up good so you dont get any water or moisture leaking through. and yes removal is the worst part of the job lol

headbanger
11-26-2009, 05:37 PM
yeah thats the hard part getting it out with out breakage

gp02a0083
11-26-2009, 06:10 PM
a bit of advise , make sure that the window seam is clean dry and dirt free, there is stuff that acts as a adhesion promoter in addition to the window sealant . but go buy the sealant at a auto parts store and do it right

Dr_Snooz
11-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I watched a couple guys remove a windshield at the junkyard today. They used a throttle cable (I think) to saw around the perimeter of the glass and cut the old adhesive. They wrapped each end of the cable around screwdrivers to make it easier to pull. It took some time but worked real well. I'm not sure how they got it through the adhesive in the first place.

They have a Low Price Auto Glass next to every junkyard here. They go into the yard, harvest a windshield and put it in for you. It's usually very cheap. That's how I would do it, honestly.

Juggalo88Accord
11-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Nice! I will look into that Thanx for all tha info

Pnem3
11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
I know you want it done as cheaply as possible, but a new windshield is really nice to have. All windshields get pits that cause glares. If you put in a junkyard windshield then you will still have those. A new windshield is something to treat yourself to if you can because it is really nice and you will probably not spend much more on it. Also, you don't have the headaches of putting it in and making sure it is sealed.

I had mine done last year for about $125 and it's amazing the difference. I'll do it again in another 5 years or so if I still have the car.

Dr_Snooz
11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Pnem3 makes a good point. Just be careful that you don't put a crappy new one in. If the glass is crummy, you can get a lot of distortion which offsets the lack of pitting.

2drSE-i
11-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Throttle body cables is new to me, but Piano wire is what ive always heard of. Getting through the adhesive in the first place is what i think would be difficult. Definitely a job i would pay to have done lol.