PDA

View Full Version : No spark issue in my 87' Accord HELP!

zack_attack2010
12-02-2009, 05:05 PM
yeah, so this morning i started my car up to go to school and im sitting there letting it warm up and it just dies about 3 minutes later and i cant start it, so i took the truck to school and when i get home i look around and i discover theres no spark by removing the coil wire and grounding it, i took off the cap and everything seems fine, does anybody have any suggestions??? thanks!

greentee76
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't think gounding the coil wire is going to tell you much. Pull a spark plug and test for spark by gronding it. Or better yet go get a spark tester, their generally less than 10$ and you'll know for sure.
Are you getting fuel to the carb?

itzdave
12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
yea, usually spark plugs dont just 'go out' like that...

zack_attack2010
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
its not the sparkplugs, im a little smarter than that to know that they dont just "go out", but no im not getting any spark, i tried cranking the motor while putting gas directly in the carb(my first thought was that fuel filter was clogged) and that didnt work, so then i tested the ignition and im not getting any spark, so i first took off the cap and while cranking the engine the rotor was spinning so the timing belt is fine, im thinking it mite be the coil, or maybe the pick up coil thing inside of the distributor

Dr_Snooz
12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Have you checked the coil? If you don't know how, the manual is available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). The diagnostic begins on p. 24-12. Report back on your findings.

zack_attack2010
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Have you checked the coil? If you don't know how, the manual is available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). The diagnostic begins on p. 24-12. Report back on your findings.

well after school today i had to go directly to work, and same thiing tomorrow, so i havent had time(really funny cause i usually only work weekends and now that i actually need a day or 2 off its not working out, lol) but anyways i got home tonight and removed the coil and the igniter(im assuming thats what it is, its a thing that had 2 little red wires connected to it and it was on the rotor shaft) and im gonna take it down to the auto repair shop i always go to and have them test them, and im REALLY hoping it one of the 2, but if its not are there any more suggestions??

Oldblueaccord
12-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Might try and test for voltage at the coil or run a 12 volt wire to the positive side of the coil and test for spark or start the car. Remember it wont shut off until you take that wire off.

wp

Demon1024
02-23-2012, 12:07 AM
placing bets on new dizzy if the coils ok. may have to end up busting out a multimeter and tracing it down. Try starting it again. I had a pickup coil go bad on mine intermittently. Would just die at random times, then start again later just fine

POS carb
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Might try and test for voltage at the coil or run a 12 volt wire to the positive side of the coil and test for spark or start the car. Remember it wont shut off until you take that wire off.

wp
agreed . if there is no spark coming from the coil it is either not getting power (blown fuse) no signal (pickup coil and igniter) or the coil is bad. check for constant 12 volts on the positive and a fluctuating voltage on the negative.
no need to worry about cap/rotor/wires/plugs. oh and make sure you don't have a broken timing belt (listen for off-beat cranking, check if distributor rotor is turning or cam rocker motion )