PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Plug Blew out - Drivers Side

Layson
12-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Had the freeze plug blow out on the drivers side of the block, it is under the lower plastic timing cover. I am sure due to the rusted cooling system. Any way this can be replaced in the car? Or do I have to pull the motor?

Does anyone have a picture of the block on the drivers side? Any help would be great.

nswst8
12-05-2009, 01:50 PM
If you have workable access to the plug, it's possible. You might to jack the engine alittle, or pull the engine mount. It's just a matter of can you get to it and patience lots of patience.

The freeze blew because there was to much water to anti-freeze in the cooling system. In cold weather you need to be sure that there is enough anti-freeze in the cooling system to keep the water from freezing. Water expands as it freezes thus blowing out the freeze plugs.

Also a knew thermostat and radiator cap is a "MUST"

Layson
12-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah that is kinda what I was thinking. I definitly know why it went. I have pretty much neglected the cooling system. It actually has a new waterpump and thermostat that I replaced last year, but I should have swapped out the radiator. Where is the best place to get a radiator? What about the plugs, is it best to just measure out the hole and find one that fits at autozone?
thanks!

Layson
12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
You can see the large hole below the camshaft pulley....

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6292/17483404lx2.jpg

lostforawhile
12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
DO not try to knock it an an angle to get it out, you need to drill a hole in it, and pull it out with a lag bolt or something, if it falls into the block,you are done. did it come completely out? you can search on the net for metric freeze plugs, you need to coat it with hardening sealer before you drive it back in.

Layson
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks...

It is hard to tell if it came all the way out, but there is a good flow... so I think a majority of it is out...

nswst8
12-05-2009, 07:07 PM
It'[s abourt the size of a silver dollar with edges. Would look like a bowl when layed flat.

Layson
12-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks....

Anybody know what I need to do to just jack up half the motor to install it? Anything special I need to disconnect? besides the engine mount?

88Accord-DX
12-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Man, that is a tough spot. I'd almost say it would be easier if you drop the engine down, so you can get a straight shot at it through the fender well. I'd use an impact socket big enough to sit inside the freeze plug & tap it in, just make sure it is square in the block.

Layson
12-05-2009, 09:36 PM
That isn't a bad idea either. Hopefully I can get it in the shop and take a look. Where it is nice and warm...and dry...

Bluntman
12-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Also if you are just plain in a jam and could get it out of the block and need a "temporary" fix for a little while til you can do it right, you can do this.I mean if you have to only. I am just throwing this out there, if you are in a jam. But I am sure by the time you get it out you will probably be so involved after pulling the timing cover you will have time to make access to enough space to do it right anyway.:dunno:
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/12/59/29/63/a110.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=685&u=12592963)

Bluntman
12-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Back in the day, when a plug went bad on the back of the motor on a rear wheel drive motor, instead of pulling the motor we would pull back the carpet and cut through the firewall in a small area and peel it back like a tin can to access the plug,fix it, then push back the metal, seal it up and cover it back up with the carpet.:lol::rofl:

nswst8
12-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Old school, I love it, cause I remember when I would help my dad with these. Now I don't ignore my cooling system like my dad did.

Layson
12-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Also if you are just plain in a jam and could get it out of the block and need a "temporary" fix for a little while til you can do it right, you can do this.I mean if you have to only. I am just throwing this out there, if you are in a jam. But I am sure by the time you get it out you will probably be so involved after pulling the timing cover you will have time to make access to enough space to do it right anyway.:dunno:
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/12/59/29/63/a110.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=685&u=12592963)

That looks pretty interesting.... Thanks

lostforawhile
12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Back in the day, when a plug went bad on the back of the motor on a rear wheel drive motor, instead of pulling the motor we would pull back the carpet and cut through the firewall in a small area and peel it back like a tin can to access the plug,fix it, then push back the metal, seal it up and cover it back up with the carpet.:lol::rofl: there were several Gm cars that in order to remove the rear plugs, they would tell you to drill a hole, remove and install the plug, and then cover the hole. the factory said to do this. typical bad design.

Layson
12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Looks like I almost could do that same kind of thing. Just use a hole saw in the inner fender...

So has anyone unbolted half the motor and jacked it up? Anything that needs to be pulled off?? like the CV shafts?

Also does anyone have a motor lying around that could size that freeze plug for me? Any help would be great....

Layson
12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Looks like I almost could do that same kind of thing. Just use a hole saw in the inner fender...

So has anyone unbolted half the motor and jacked it up? Anything that needs to be pulled off?? like the CV shafts?

Also does anyone have a motor lying around that could size that freeze plug for me? Any help would be great....

Any help here?

Has anybody unbolted and lifted half the motor out? Or anyone pulled there motor and have some pics or a process of what needs to be done.

Also anyone have an extra motor that could size that freeze plug for me. At least so I can get a variety of freeze plugs that might fit...

Layson
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Well got the motor jacked up just to see if I can get to it... Might just work. Ended up having to quite early last night. The heater went out and froze some pipes... so spent most of our time working on that...

Couldn't get that balancer/drive pulley off? Is that reverse threads?

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r447/laysonw/downsized_1209092050a.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r447/laysonw/downsized_1209092051.jpg

You can see the freeze plug about halfway down...
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r447/laysonw/1209092052.jpg

nswst8
12-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Through the timing mark hole you can wedge a large flat head screw driver in between the flywheel teeth, bracing the shaft of the screwdriver against the bellhousing.

This will be much easier if you have someone helping with this.

The crankshaft pulley bolt spins of in the normal counter clockwise rotation. It's only suppose to be torqued to 108ftlbs but most over torque it.

I just saw you have access to air tools, good use your impact and have someone hold that flywheel.

Layson
12-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, got the freeze plug installed. I tried using the stock jack, wedged in between the inner fender and the motor to press it in. That didn't work. Then made a tool with all thread to press it in... that didn't work either.

Then got irritated, went and grabbed a 3/4" drill bit and drilled a hole through the inner fender, matched it up with the freeze plug hole. Stuck a 1/2" drive extension through there with a matched socket in the freeze plug, and pounded that sucker in. That is what I should have done to begin with!!

Bluntman
12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, got the freeze plug installed. I tried using the stock jack, wedged in between the inner fender and the motor to press it in. That didn't work. Then made a tool with all thread to press it in... that didn't work either.

Then got irritated, went and grabbed a 3/4" drill bit and drilled a hole through the inner fender, matched it up with the freeze plug hole. Stuck a 1/2" drive extension through there with a matched socket in the freeze plug, and pounded that sucker in. That is what I should have done to begin with!!
Cool you got it done. I was wondering if you went that route and cut a hole.

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Well done man. That looks like it was a real mother to change. It's so easy to neglect the cooling systems on these and they are real nice about it for a long time.

...then the whole system implodes. Yikes!

Layson
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I just wished I would have done it last week. Been driving my truck for the last two weeks... to dang expensive.. LOL