PDA

View Full Version : Dropped oil grrrr

kentwat
12-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I changed my oil like normal. I go to start it up and I get a bath.
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/kwat2008/IMG_1235.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/kwat2008/IMG_1236.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/kwat2008/IMG_1238.jpg
First time in changing my oil that the rubber seal stayed on the motor. This is the first time for a wix filter. I payed extra for it. I usually just run ac because I hate fram. But I got the special and now 4 quarts of 5/30 are on the ground and all over my engine. Just a few cuss words flew. I hope your weekend was better. Later.

Dr_Snooz
12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Doooooood. That sucks.

Bass Man
12-06-2009, 07:53 PM
What?

cubert
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
I hate when that happens...ive never done it on my car but have done it on bikes a couple of times.

redaztec
12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Did the same thing on my Jeep early last summer, except I drove a few miles before the extra seal fell off and the oil spewed out. Luckily I happened to be next to an Autozone when it happened. I feel your pain... =(

2drSE-i
12-06-2009, 09:50 PM
extra seal? what happened i dont get it.

redaztec
12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
extra seal? what happened i dont get it.

The seal from the old filter stuck to the engine rather than coming off when the filter was removed. When the new filter was attached the old seal was pushed off by the pressure from the oil pump, allowing the oil to drain out rather than circulate through the engine.

MessyHonda
12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
man that sucks.....mine leaks from the rear main seal...and im not looking forward to cleaning up my engine bay

2ndGenGuy
12-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh man that blows. I've done that before...

2drSE-i
12-07-2009, 06:00 AM
The seal from the old filter stuck to the engine rather than coming off when the filter was removed. When the new filter was attached the old seal was pushed off by the pressure from the oil pump, allowing the oil to drain out rather than circulate through the engine.

OOOh yea that sucks

kentwat
12-07-2009, 06:42 AM
First time ever having a seal stay on the block. I had already done a survey looking for leaks, becuase it has started marking its spot. It looks to be leaking from the front seal between timing cover and oil pan. I started it up and come around the hood and was like Holy Sheet!!! A quality oil fountain coming up through the intake.

I guess the only bright side is my 90 integra started right up and now runs way better than it ever has. It had code 43 for fuel system and code 12 for egr. I swapped out the vacuum box on it and got rid of all codes. Very cool. Now I just wish someone would come and buy it. I figured 164k miles and $1500 I would snag some calls and I guess no one has any money. I may just park it until February and wait for peoples tax money. Have a good Monday.

w261w261
12-07-2009, 07:14 AM
It had never occurred to me that this might happen, so I'm really glad I read it here. I *usually* take a rag and wipe off the oil filter mount face before putting on the new filter, but not every time. Now I can see that some kind of extra step is definitely part of the routine.

A while ago, after probably (225k-84k)/3k=50-ish changes on the SE-i plus many others in other vehicles, I was getting ready to start the car when something tickled the back of my brain...it just didn't feel right. What didn't feel right was that I had forgotten to put on the new filter! What I used to do was, first thing, plop the new oil container down on top of the engine. Now, it's the new oil plus the new filter. I can't imagine the mess if I would have cranked it up.

Bass Man
12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I would have cussed up a storm :rant: after all the time I spent getting my engine bay as clean as it is.:burn:

kentwat
12-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Tell me about it. No all of the rubber hoses will be shiney. It is just going to suck trying to remove the big puddles on the intake manifold. Tonight I hope there are alot of mosquitos out because I will be fogging. lol

nswst8
12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Thats cool, did the same thing back in 1984 on a chevy monza I use to have. It's a learning experience.

In 2004 I forgot to re install the drain bolt and poured in all the oil, I was on alittle slop and I didn't notice until I went to get in the car and it was starting to run out from under the car.

carotman
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Those fram filters just suck.

Get a Honda OEM S2000 filter or a BOSCH.

They're not too expensive and are very well built.

Dr_Snooz
12-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Those fram filters just suck.

Get a Honda OEM S2000 filter or a BOSCH.

They're not too expensive and are very well built.

S2000, eh? I'll have to remember that one.

w261w261
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I got a few K&N oil filters on sale. They're really heavy, have a nut welded to the end to make installation/removal simple. Any idea on how they are inside?

import racer
12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Has anyone tried the royal purple filters,I saw how they were made on a car show last weekend.They said they held up to 600 lbs burst pressure as compared to others that were around 200.

lostforawhile
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I got a few K&N oil filters on sale. They're really heavy, have a nut welded to the end to make installation/removal simple. Any idea on how they are inside?
the k&n filters are designed as a race filter and let more crap through, just use the wix filters, about the only good filter left. fram is junk, bosch used to be good, they were sold and now the same as fram, nappa gold is the same as wix. they make the nappa gold filter.

carotman
12-07-2009, 07:04 PM

I opened a few filters and i can tell you the K&N is really well built but... the insides are a bit small. Unless you get them on sale like you did wouldn't be worth the money.

I'll post pictures of all this soon.

lostforawhile
12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I opened a few filters and i can tell you the K&N is really well built but... the insides are a bit small. Unless you get them on sale like you did wouldn't be worth the money.

I'll post pictures of all this soon.
the idea behind the K&N is higher oil pressure in a race engine at the expense of engine life, it does exactly what it's supposed to do. Provide oil pressure in an engine that gets torn down all the time, it's really not designed for a street engine that's supposed to last a long time. race engine aren't designed to last hundreds of thousands of miles so that extra dirt doesn't matter.

Civic Accord Honda
12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
lol Ive sold my soul Satan! ive been using fram filters on my last so many oil changes since Ive been getting the cheap autozone oil change deals ( 5qts and a filter for 15 bucks), on my 3g i only ran K&N, on my civic at first i only ran mobile 1 , legend i ran STP lol
but yeah i highly dislike fram i know there shit but right now im sure a brand new fram is better then the 7k mile old fram that's in there LOL (changing my oil when the weather clears up already bought the stuff )

but aye when i put a diffrent engine in the accord it will only get mobile 1 oil and filters!

lostforawhile
12-07-2009, 09:01 PM
lol Ive sold my soul Satan! ive been using fram filters on my last so many oil changes since Ive been getting the cheap autozone oil change deals ( 5qts and a filter for 15 bucks), on my 3g i only ran K&N, on my civic at first i only ran mobile 1 , legend i ran STP lol
but yeah i highly dislike fram i know there shit but right now im sure a brand new fram is better then the 7k mile old fram that's in there LOL (changing my oil when the weather clears up already bought the stuff )

but aye when i put a diffrent engine in the accord it will only get mobile 1 oil and filters!

don't worry after a couple of miles the fram bypass will open and all the oil will bypass the filter anyway. anyway it's a saturn let it die in peace.

Civic Accord Honda
12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
don't worry after a couple of miles the fram bypass will open and all the oil will bypass the filter anyway. anyway it's a saturn let it die in peace.

Saturn? where lol last i checked 91 accords were honda made :lol:

lostforawhile
12-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Saturn? where lol last i checked 91 accords were honda made :lol:
i misread saturn,satan same thing if you own one. :rofl:

Civic Accord Honda
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
i misread saturn,satan same thing if you own one. :rofl:

LOL... well the 90s saturns were good if u took care of them.. the new ones like the ion and shit i dont care for lol

Hazwan
12-08-2009, 03:23 AM
LOL... well the 90s saturns were good if u took care of them.. the new ones like the ion and shit i dont care for lol

Whats up with you and your <3 with shit cars *facepalm*

Dr_Snooz
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Anyone heard anything about the Mobil 1 filters? How about the Nippondensos? The NDs seem pretty good as do the Mobil 1s. I know the Purolator I used was not so very good. Oil pressure hovered somewhere slightly above zero when I was running it and there was no properly functioning anti-drainback device. Granted, that engine was rubbish, but the Wix filters always produced good pressure and took much less time to get up to pressure.

da9
12-08-2009, 08:29 PM
OEM Honda Filters FTW never use anything else!!!

and there is a difference according to my oil pressure gauge when i switched from fram to OEM honda 3psi but every bit helps

kentwat
12-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I have always run AC oil filters on it. Just the last time I was at Oreilly andI said what the heck give me the Wix brand. Last time ever. I have a Fram extra guard on it currently. Last night I went back out for clean up and r&r the filter. Tip: If you spew a boat load of oil out the motor, clean it right away so the puddle is small and deep. I didn't do this and oil was spread out damn near 10 feet around it. Another note Dollar general paper towels suck at picking up oil. btw I bought it with 255k on it and it now has 282k. I'm quite impressed after 3000 miles it is less than an 1/8 inch from the full mark. Amazing for a motor with that many miles.

As for oil pressure, no gauge but it shot out about a quart and a half in about 2 seconds. ;-)

lostforawhile
12-09-2009, 07:08 AM
I have always run AC oil filters on it. Just the last time I was at Oreilly andI said what the heck give me the Wix brand. Last time ever. I have a Fram extra guard on it currently. Last night I went back out for clean up and r&r the filter. Tip: If you spew a boat load of oil out the motor, clean it right away so the puddle is small and deep. I didn't do this and oil was spread out damn near 10 feet around it. Another note Dollar general paper towels suck at picking up oil. btw I bought it with 255k on it and it now has 282k. I'm quite impressed after 3000 miles it is less than an 1/8 inch from the full mark. Amazing for a motor with that many miles.

As for oil pressure, no gauge but it shot out about a quart and a half in about 2 seconds. ;-)

why would you run a fram extra crap on it? you know they contain teflon, and even 3m who MAKES teflon says it should be never be used in engine applications. I've never heard of a single problem with the wix filters, I wish the filter test was still up on NTPOG, f you had seen what was inside of a fram, you wouldn't put one on a lawnmower. at least the oil never goes through the filter,or most of it. the cheap plastic bypass valve in the Fram will just open up. As far as Honda OEM filters, you aren't getting what they put on the engine in Japan, They found in that NTPOG test that they were just like fram inside, the actual factory filter was completly different, but if you try to order it, they will substitute the filter designated for the US market, not the JDM market.

lostforawhile
12-09-2009, 07:16 AM
the pictures are gone on the NTPOG site but here's a good comparison on the mini mopar site with pictures, they just don't have all the same brands as far as brands specif to imports. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

carotman
12-09-2009, 07:17 AM
The Honda S2000 Filter is FAR from being a fram. The valve is well built and it's a quality filter. It's comparable to a BOSCH.

I'll have to open the regular ones and compare it to FRAMs with my own eyes but here's a picture I found this on the net

http://ccqhost.popolz.com/pics/15400.jpg

BTW The AC/Delco filter is crap. The drain back valve sucks and the used one I opened had the end caps falling off.

lostforawhile
12-09-2009, 07:20 AM
here's another one thats supposed to be good http://www.inlinefour.com/honhamoilfil.html

carotman
12-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Yeah I heard good comments about those.

The S2000 filter looks identical (according to the diagram they have on the website)
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/twincamtech/hampdiagram.jpg

I'll definetly take pictures tonight!

lostforawhile
12-09-2009, 07:23 AM
i forgot if your "oem" honda filter says made in canada it's actually a fram, if you want a good oem filter you have to go to a jdm importer since honda won't sell their oem filters here, I have no idea why

lostforawhile
12-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Yeah I heard good comments about those.

The S2000 filter looks identical (according to the diagram they have on the website)
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/twincamtech/hampdiagram.jpg

I'll definetly take pictures tonight!

thats probably who makes the oem filters

kentwat
12-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Ya wix are supposed to be good filters. Its just this time the oil ring stayed on the block. As for the fram it won't be on there long I've seen all of the tests regarding the bypass valve etc.

carotman
12-09-2009, 07:42 AM
The oem regular filter in Canada is also made by FRAM (Honeywell). The S2000 is made by FILTECH

I found one in this review
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

My BOSCH filter I got here isn't the same as the one in the review.

The K&N I got looks like the Mobil-1 in the review.

You can also notice that the Canadian Honeywell Honda filter isn't exactly a FRAM...

So far, the best advice I can give is... stay away from FRAM :D

lostforawhile
12-09-2009, 08:35 AM
yea bosch sold out to someone else their filters are supposed to be crap now.

Bass Man
12-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Hmm... I think I'll spend $4 more for a good filter for my $400 motor. That might be why it knocked like it does sometimes.

Mellexx
12-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Whats up with you and your <3 with shit cars *facepalm*

:bs: Yeah really cah, First it's kia, than its hyundai now its saturn *facepalm*

OT: That sucks man, Hope I don't end up having this happen I know I'll spend forever cleaning my bay up :p

da9
12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
honeywell(makes fram) and filtech make the OEM honda filters

Dr_Snooz
12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Anyone want to weigh in on Denso or Mobil 1 filters?

Anyone?

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I stick to wix filters because I can pick them up at any napa auto parts...when I had a leaking oil pan I didn't change my oil I just put fresh oil then later I went with the wix and it was a nice smooth running engine

hondafiend
12-20-2009, 05:33 AM
I might be a little late to chime in on this but I work at Napa and I can tell you that the PREMIUM Wix filter is one of the best if not the best filters you can buy. Now, that being said, most companies have more than one grade of filter, even Wix. The NAPA Gold wix filter is made very well and is usually what i run. The cheaper Wix filters are exactly that, cheap. I wouldn't put it on a damn thing.
Its pretty much the same story for most other brands. The Mobil 1 filters are pretty good filters and so are the higher grade Fram filters. Maybe they aren't the best but they are decent. It basically comes down to you get what you pay for most of the time. If you buy a top of the line filter form most any brand it should be a decent filter.
As far as who makes Honda filters or anybody else's for that matter, many companies make filters for other brands to thier specs. The oe honda filter made by Fram is probably made much better than the regular fram. The owner of the NAPA i work at has been to the wix factory in Gastonia SC, and there are AC filters, VOLVO filters and several other brands all being made in the same place, just to different specs.
Hope people find this informative. I'm not tryin to be a know it all or a smart ass, just sharing what I know. And by the way always check to make sure the old gasket comes off with the filter!!!!

Bass Man
12-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks, Hondafield. Good input. I say it's never too late for good information.

russiankid
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM
I ran Honda filters (bought in bulk, mom owns an Acura). I didn't like them, took 3-4 seconds for the oil pressure light to go off in the morning. Went back to Purolator and all is well. Light turns off when it is cranking and haven't had any issues with it.

Civic Accord Honda
12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
I just put a new fram in last week lol... already put close to 1k on it lol...

griffonks
02-03-2010, 08:56 AM
I have been using WIX filters for years exclusively. Surprised that the gasket came off. I always check though. I wonder if the OP coats the new filter's gasket with oil before tightening? I have never had a problem except for finding the WIX filters, I hate to use Napa Gold because they cost a lot more...

kentwat
02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I always goat the gasket. Who knows what happened this time? Perhaps I didn't get it wet enough. I usually just fill it and then it runs over, but that is hard to do on a side mount. Chit happens. I have about 1k more miles on this filter and I'll probably go back to ac filters. Support my GM!! At least their throttles don't stick. ;-) Kent

mushroom_toy
02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Wix filters FTW. i use them everytime. Also theyre $3 bucks for me so all the better.

Bass Man
02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I went to Napa and got a Gold and asked if it was a wix, he said yep!, so that's what's going in from now on. I got another knock at ~120k on this A3, so screw those cheap filters.