ok,
i am gonna get another 12" sub.
and i want to build my own box.
what should i build bandpass or sealed?
what do you think?

dXsquared
10-05-2002, 07:50 AM
sealed is easier
if u dont have any dimensions for your sub, a good general size is 1.5 cubic feet per sub... if u have two subs, makes sure u put a devider between them.
Travis

MyGarbageLXi
10-05-2002, 12:13 PM
HEY ahh, seal it.... bandpas is too hardcore, PM me if u need a plan to follow... i dont know much about Parting the Box, but i didint do it to mine

shepherd79
10-05-2002, 08:14 PM
why would i want to part the sealed box?
what if i get bandpass box build by local stereo store?
what is the diff. between bandpass and sealed in sound?
and which one is better for the sound quality, i mean nice bass to listen some music. i don't want to be like one of those guys that sound like thunder.

dXsquared
10-05-2002, 08:23 PM
sealed is best for crisp bass...thump thump thump
bandpass is real loud but slured... very rumbly.

and the subs are designed to work independantly in their own box. the sound is noticeable in a parted vs. not box. go to a store and look at any sealed box... parted in the middle.
Travis

87AccordsterLx
10-07-2002, 10:12 PM
bandpass is generally for suv's or hatchs with unrestricted air flow... for sealed trunks like our 3gs you wont get anything out of it... ported is almost the same thing.. you get more of a humm instead of hard hits with a sealed box like Travis was saying... and the ported pushes more air.... as far as parting your box... its almost like having two seperate boxes each with a speaker in it.... if you are going to put two different name brand subs or if you are adding another one and the old one is worn in then by having the box divided you wont have to worry about one sub hitting differently because it is applying presure on the weaker sub... I would recomend that if you have two of the same name brand subs that are both farely new that you just get a sealed box, not divided, and made with MDF wood.... 3 feet wide and 1.5 by 1.5 deep.... you can go bigger as well...

86LX-ihatch
10-10-2002, 07:49 PM
It all depends on what your subwoofer works best in. The thiele small parameters of the sub will be what tells you if it should be ported, sealed, etc. The real reason you see dividers in enclosures is for bracing. If you are running two different kinds of subs I would divide like was said before so the performance won't affect each other. Ported enclosures allow you to tune the enclosure. A poorly designed ported enclosure will sound horrible but a well designed one will almost always out perform a sealed.
The kind of vehicle you are putting the enclosure in has no bearing on what kind of enclosure to put in it. Now banpass enclosures are built to come in at a certain frequency and go out at a certain frequency (when built correctly) They have a very narrow bandwidth which means they play a very narrow band of frequencies. DO NOT BUY A PRE_FAB ENCLOSURE. I would recomend contacting the manufacturer of your subs and see what they say to put them in. Some work well in ported, some in sealed, some in both.

spertnick
10-13-2002, 12:30 PM
Personally i like the sound of a bandpass, i think it hits harder although that would be a pain in the ass to make

wazzupmang
10-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Sealed box will give you the best quality of bass......As far as why they need to be divided is that one sub will always fire before the other and if there is no divider one sub will fire outwards while the other will fire backwards (not good for your subs) another plus for having a sealed enclosure over a bandpass enclosure is that with a bandpass configuration you will not be able to know when you are running your subs to hard or better put(maxing the throw of the woofers )makes a fluttering sound(very bad for voice coils)over heats them then (poof) no more subs. with a sealed enclosure you will be able to hear when you have reached max load on woofers , That way you don't prematurally kill your subs

I've been doing installs since the 80's when it all began, If any of you have questions about anything stereo related , Feel free to e-mail me or pm me.

Trevis

smufguy
10-24-2002, 08:33 PM
anyone got a pic of a sealed box guys?

shepherd79
10-25-2002, 04:22 AM
this is a sealed box http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=VASHB2X15 i don't know if you can see well or not.

here is another one, this is about what i have http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/RTE31110
and here is for dual subs http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/RTE32110

87AccordsterLx
10-25-2002, 08:37 PM
hmm... I wonder why the dual enclosure is rated so low... maybe its becasue its partical board...

n88accordLX-i
10-28-2002, 06:16 PM
yeah if you want to make a box go buy some MDF(medium density fiberboard), NOT PARTICLE BOARD!!

If you want good sound your best bet is a sealed box, because they have a great frequency bandwidth, if you want loud go ported, but the thing bad about ported boxes is, you have to tune them to a certain frequency and they peak at that frequency, but when the bass drop lower than the tuning, the less output you get, and the slopier the bass, but your best bet on a ported box would be to tune it to around 40-45hz

n88accordLX-i
10-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
bandpass is generally for suv's or hatchs with unrestricted air flow... for sealed trunks like our 3gs you wont get anything out of it... ported is almost the same thing.. you get more of a humm instead of hard hits with a sealed box like Travis was saying...

and all that you said here is total BS also.

87AccordsterLx
10-29-2002, 10:47 AM
total BS 'also'..??.. hmm.. thanks for being blunt... you could have just corrected me if you thought that something said was incorrect without being an ass about it.... I have talked to several car audio installers and they have all told me that to get the best sound out of bandpass and ported enclosures that they should be used in suvs and hatches...Im sure that they will sound ok in normal trunks but that is just what I have heard.... If that is incorrect then so be it... I have just read some of your other posts and you seem to be overly critical and basically insulting to everyone... if you want to respond to other peoples posts you can do it without putting other people down...

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7981&pagenumber=2

toastyghost
10-29-2002, 11:44 AM
I don't really care how harshly you word it if you're right but back it up with some kind of reasoning...

n88accordLX-i
10-29-2002, 12:57 PM
a ported box moves air just like a sealed box, give me a reason that it would sound any different in a trunk than a sealed box....

87AccordsterLx
10-31-2002, 08:35 PM
ok check it out... a ported box does not move more air like a sealed box does... first of all.. (sound wise) Ported boxes do not have a linear frequency response... they work more efficently at different frequencies... as far as moving air.... the speaker port pushes (or pulls) air at the same time as the woofer... thus pushing more air... if you have a sealed trunk... how do you expect to take advantage of this??? All I'm saying is that ported enclosures work the best for home audio or in aplications with a greater air flow... it also depends on what type of responce you want out of your bass... I dont know... do you feel other wise??? Lets discuss this without insulting eachother .. thats all I ask....