PDA

View Full Version : Spring compressor for changing struts?

AC439
12-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi everybody,

Long time no chat. Life's been very tough here.

Here's is continuation of my previous posting few months ago about suspension problems: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67863&highlight=strut

The current status is I had saved enough money so I had the cracked windshield replaced and had a paint job done by Econo with a 3 years warranty (recommended by two friends that had used them before).

Now I'm back to fixing the mechanical problem. I had a mechanic friend checked my struts and he told me I'm definitely riding on springs only. I've already looked into rockauto (yes I'm hesitate due to previous negative experience with them but they are cheap) and have found the Monroes. The car is basically a family car so I don't care about performance suspension parts or lowering the spring. Besides I'm too old and bald to ride on a highly modified car and being challenged by kids on the street so I'm keeping the appearance of the car low profile.

Anyway, I haven't done struts before and the FAQ about changing struts lost the links to the pictures. I read in some threads that the standard spring compressor will not work on our springs (I have stock) since the coils are too small and tight. Someone mentioned he made his own spring compressor. Would anybody give me pointers as to how to do that if a standard spring compressor would not work ? I will keep the factory springs so I do need good directions for that part of the job.

(I'm ordering engine mounts as well, they are definitely shot).

Thanks in advanced !
- AC

nswst8
12-07-2009, 07:55 AM
The strut spring compressors will work on the rear shocks. They won't work on the front ones.

I just threw away 12 year old Monroe sensatrac that were suppose to be a lifetime strut. If it is at all within your budget Bilstein touring class is the best choice, Tokico HP would be the second best choice.

The monroe's will be okay I didn't have any complaints when they were only a few years old 6/10 is a more realistic life span of these under normal conditions.

The fronts just remove them from the car yourself and the take them to a suspension shop and they'll swap the shocks for you for a few dollars.

The DIY compressor was done with some threaded rods, washers and nuts, you can get from Home depot and wood (3/4 plywood, doubled up so that it is 1.5 inches thick)

Good luck

2drSE-i
12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
The strut spring compressors will work on the rear shocks. They won't work on the front ones.

I just threw away 12 year old Monroe sensatrac that were suppose to be a lifetime strut. If it is at all within your budget Bilstein touring class is the best choice, Tokico HP would be the second best choice.

The monroe's will be okay I didn't have any complaints when they were only a few years old 6/10 is a more realistic life span of these under normal conditions.

The fronts just remove them from the car yourself and the take them to a suspension shop and they'll swap the shocks for you for a few dollars.

The DIY compressor was done with some threaded rods, washers and nuts, you can get from Home depot and wood (3/4 plywood, doubled up so that it is 1.5 inches thick)

Good luck

From my experience, the cheapest place that i could find to do the swap for me did them for 25 per shock.

nswst8
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Forgot about KYB GR2s (3rd choice) I would choose these over Monroe any day.

AC439
12-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for replies. But I'm really more interested in how to compress the springs for the front struts since the autozone rental compressors will not fit. I can go try to make a DIY compressor but wondering how much strength I should need for the material.

Also, do I need to remove the tie rod ends in order to get the front struts out ?

-AC

nswst8
12-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Depends on how you want to do this. Just to remove the the strut assembly:

1. Remove the to 2 (17mm) upper control arm nuts in the engine compartment, this will allow you to swing the steering knuckle out of the way of the strut assembly. (support the lower control arm with a jack, block of wood)

2. Remove the 3 (12mm) nuts on top of the strut assembly in the engine compartment, this will allow the strut assembly to lower.

3. Remove the 1 (17mm) bolt for the strut fork (the long one at the very bottom)

Don't forget to unbolt the brakeline from the strut. Now just remove the strut assembly.

Now there is a way to install the front struts old school. You will need a jack and it involves disconnecting the strut rods from the lower control arms, tie rods and popping the drive axle from the transaxle (just a releasing the axle from the transaxle) this allows the lower control arm full flexability to decompress the strut assembly.

Its old school and you need to be confident of what you are doing. I've done it a few times when I had no other choice. Completely do-able, you just need to know what you are doing.

AC439
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the steps. I think I still have to make a spring compressor so I can swap out the worn struts with a new ones.

Dr_Snooz
12-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I've never removed the springs on the Honda, so I can't speak to it specifically, but I'd try modifying a cheap set of spring compressors from Harbor Freight. The car is light, as cars go, so you could shave off a lot of material without compromising the tool. Most of the time it's the stupid retaining arms (to keep the tool from being shot into orbit if something fails), not the clamping arms, that keep you from being able to put serious compression on the spring. If you leave those off/cut them off, you'll be able to compress the spring a lot more.

PS: You should always use the safety mechanisms that come on any tool you use. If you leave off the retaining arms and manage to launch your strut through the garage roof, take out a commercial airliner, kill lots of people or yourself, I'm not to blame. For god's sake, please be careful, whatever you do.

Nafs Asdf
12-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I remember A18A telling me about a way to get the springs off without a compressor. If I recall correctly, all you need to do is unbolt the top nut while the car is standing, then jack it up and the spring will decompress as you lift it up.

AC439
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I remember A18A telling me about a way to get the springs off without a compressor. If I recall correctly, all you need to do is unbolt the top nut while the car is standing, then jack it up and the spring will decompress as you lift it up.

What about re-assembly ? You do need the compressor to put it back together, right ?

nswst8
12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Put the front of the car on jack stands.

Place a hydraulic jack under the lower ball joint jack it up slightly

Disconnect the Upper control arm nuts

Disconnect the tie rod

Disconnect the radius rod arm from the lower control arm

Pop the axle from the transaxle

Remove strut piston retaining nut

Now carefully/slowly lower the lower control arm with the jack to decompress the the strut assembly.

Loosen the strut pinch fork bolt (not the bottom bolt) to release the the strut from the strut fork.

reassemble in reverse order.

Unfortunately the above items must be diconnected to allow the lower control arm to lower enough to remove the spring from the strut.

This is old school, so be careful!

Layson
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the steps. I think I still have to make a spring compressor so I can swap out the worn struts with a new ones.

I took mine down to a shop and 20 dollars later I had them all on. That was well worth it to me. It takes just a few minutes to get them out. Best thing to have is AIR tools, so much easier and faster...

Good luck...

Layson
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
What about re-assembly ? You do need the compressor to put it back together, right ?

Yes... Unless you get yourself a new set of lowering springs. They are usually small enough not to need a spring compressor. I would take it to a shop, I did it once with those mickey mouse ones from autozone and it was a little sketchy...:nervous:

snoopyloopy
12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
i have a spring compressor that does actually fit our stock springs, but it's not the usual one that i'm guessing you have. i know it fits because i've used it a few times. i'm assuming you have one that looks like this:
http://polytropia.com/images/cherokee/SpringCompressors1.JPG
or maybe this?
http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/w89322.jpg

mine is called a macpherson strut tool instead of a spring compressor. it consists of four loops of steel and brackets, and two big screws and nuts. the loops of steel loop through the springs and connect by way of the brackets to the screws, which are turned to compress the spring. i couldn't find any quality pix, but here's something w/ the general idea.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sjdiscounttools_2083_201807260

AC439
12-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info and the pics.

I don't have any spring compressors but I think if I go lend the one from autozone, it must be generic. I know our front springs are very tight and have more turns.

If I have to take them all out and get a shop to swap out the struts, I don't have jack stands. In this case, I'm not even sure if I should tackle the job myself due to lack of tools.

I wish there are some 3g members nearby that I can get with. I'm willing to pay.

DBMaster
12-08-2009, 02:26 PM
The freebie loaner from Auto Zone worked fine on my fronts when I did them in 1998.

I have a pair of really old ones that nearly killed me when one popped off. Be careful!

AC439
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all replies. I'm fixing to order the struts. Worse case situation is to get my retired mechanic friend to help me out. I think I'm going to the autozone and let them look at the Honda so they can tell if their compressor works or not. If not, I'm going to replace the rear first since one of them is making noise. Then I'm gonna have my mechanic friend look at the front.

-AC

A18A
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM
you can reinstall them without a spring compressor, you gotta leave the top hat in the car, put the spring over the strut and jack up the lower control arm to compress the spring against the car body, you just gotta make sure you aim that shiny silver thing through the hole right otherwise you will spend ages getting it right :) i would only do that if you are too cheap to buy spring compressors, or dont want to pay anyone else to do it (like me) otherwise i'd just pay a shop to do it

Dr_Snooz
12-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for all replies. I'm fixing to order the struts. Worse case situation is to get my retired mechanic friend to help me out. I think I'm going to the autozone and let them look at the Honda so they can tell if their compressor works or not. If not, I'm going to replace the rear first since one of them is making noise. Then I'm gonna have my mechanic friend look at the front.

-AC

Does it make sense to pay $300 for a strut because you don't have $13 spring compressors and $30 jack stands?

ecogabriel
12-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Does it make sense to pay $300 for a strut because you don't have $13 spring compressors and $30 jack stands?

The spring compressos that Autozone lets you borrow may do the job; however, notice that it will be a quite tight fit since the springs in our cars have a pretty small diameter. But it can be done; I replaced struts on both Accord and Civic with that spring compressor borrowed from Autozone

mattr89lxi
12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Yeah autozone one works u just got to take both hooks off shuv it inbetween the widest coil opening which is in the middle (kind of a b*tch so use a crow bar) and spin two hooks to the top and the other two to the bottom as far as possible...line them um and thread post thru them! Daz it!

AC439
12-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks, so there is hope with the autozone compressor.

Matt: I have hard times getting what you trying to say even with my best imagination. (I don't understand some words)

Snooz: I have been getting complaints from my wife about too many tools. Can't get more so I can only borrow and return.

DBMaster
02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I ordered one of these as I am about to do the job again after twelve years. This one looks pretty good because I think I would be able to use just one of the hooks if the tool won't fit. You don't have to compress the spring very much. Just enough to take the tension off the top mounting plate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-2-COIL-SPRING-STRUT-COMPRESSOR-Auto-Shock_W0QQitemZ350313446766QQcategoryZ0QQcmdZViewI temQQ_trksidZp4340.m506QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DNGRI%26i ts%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63 %26clkid%3D7638332373207894723

nswst8
02-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I ordered one of these as I am about to do the job again after twelve years. This one looks pretty good because I think I would be able to use just one of the hooks if the tool won't fit. You don't have to compress the spring very much. Just enough to take the tension off the top mounting plate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-2-COIL-SPRING-STRUT-COMPRESSOR-Auto-Shock_W0QQitemZ350313446766QQcategoryZ0QQcmdZViewI temQQ_trksidZp4340.m506QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DNGRI%26i ts%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63 %26clkid%3D7638332373207894723

Mike, these are the ones you should get, I picked them up after recommeded by I think Ghettogeddy. I highly recommed them.

Powerbuilt 647089 Strut Coil Spring Compressor

A18A
02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
i have the same kind (or very similar, they look the same). i found them quite useless on the front springs, even using just 1 hook :thumbdn:

edittt: the ones DBMaster mentioned that is, not those ones ^

DBMaster
02-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Great! Well, I'll still get it done. I always do. I can rent them again like I did in 1998. I'll be able to use the ones I bought on somebody else's car down the road. When you do auto mechanics as a hobby friends and family hit you up from time to time.

nswst8
02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Great! Well, I'll still get it done. I always do. I can rent them again like I did in 1998. I'll be able to use the ones I bought on somebody else's car down the road. When you do auto mechanics as a hobby friends and family hit you up from time to time.

Ain't that the truth, I'm getting ready for summer. It's A/C time. Once the neighbors find out I know how to turn a wrench.

DBMaster
02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I was able to use the compressors I purchased on eBay. I had trouble with keeping the front springs straight while compressing. The rears were not a problem. My old struts had pretty much lost their gas charges. I am hoping to notice big changes on the road tomorrow.

DBMaster
02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
The ride is most definitely improved. It's a night and day difference. I won't bore you with my money woes, but I went with the Monroes again because they are free (lifetime warranty). I was happy with them until this year when they started getting noisy. While I might have rather had the Bilsteins they would not have been free! :)

I have to conserve funds for a while. My car needs new tires now. I just put a brand new set of tires on my daughter's Infiniti which she totaled a week later. In December I put $400 into the Infiniti as well. So, you can see why I had to go "cheap" on my struts. I originally put Sensatracs on my car in 1998 and never had any complaints.

nswst8
02-18-2010, 11:36 AM
You go, Mike. I'm all about saving dollars. And there is nothing wrong with free.

Just remember you will only get about 5/6 years before you will need to change them out again.

DBMaster
02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
What? You mean it's not 12 years? :)

The ride was still not bad with the old struts. I think I may go with 100K miles. There was a lot of cursing coming from my garage last night. The compressors I bought were not ideal for the fronts. Next time around I'll get those compressors from Amazon.

nswst8
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Told you so =-)