PDA

View Full Version : egr code 12 fixed

karmgearhead
12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I think I have some usefull information on the code12 egr problems. My accord had the idot light come on after driving for 15 minutes,So I checked the ecu,counted the flashes.etc.I went to a junkyard and bought another egr,noticed that the sensor had 2 spring clamps holding it to the main body of the egr,I removed the clamps and gently pried the sensor off the egr body.At the bottom of the sensor is a small shaft that is spring loaded,so that the shaft follows the egr up and down.The shaft protruding from the sensor was stuck in the closed position,I sprayed some light oil on it to free it up.I then took my multimeter and checked resitance between 2 of the wires and as I pushed the sensor shaft the reading changed,indicating that it was functional.I re installed, reset ecu and no more idot light problem.I hope this helps .I didnt even need the second egr valve after all.

kentwat
12-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Great info.

nswst8
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Good to know,Thanks for sharing that. Think you could post some pics?

DBMaster
12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Excellent! That was probably what was wrong with mine. Too late for me. I replaced it with a brand new one a few years ago.

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 01:09 AM
i just removed it off the car so i get that stupid light

DBMaster
12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I'll bet you might be able to permanently connect a couple of the wires going to the sensor to eliminate the light. Just a thought.

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I'll bet you might be able to permanently connect a couple of the wires going to the sensor to eliminate the light. Just a thought.

well im not going to keep the stock computer for that long...im going to OBD1...and that does not use EGR

Joay
12-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I tried a bazillion different resistors across combinations of the three wires on the plug, never could get the light to stay off. This weekend I'll rip it open and see if I can trick the sensor directly. Great post, thx!

kentwat
12-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I swapped egr many times and it turned out to be the little cvc vacuum pod in the vacuum box. That egr test flow chart is great!! 86-89 manual. My light was on for nearly a year and a half. I just now got it fixed. Thanks to this forum. But even with the light out I am getting the same mpg. The only issue I had was random fluctuating idle.

-$MOKIN-
12-12-2009, 10:15 PM
had the same thing go wrong resently but it wouldnt even start.due to it sitting around and gettin weathered. Loosened up a bolt and hit it a couple times with a ratchet .

ecogabriel
12-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Great!!!

Another piece of information about the dreaded code 12. When the car has to pass emissions testing they do not pass unless the valve works (don't ask how I know)

Dr_Snooz
12-13-2009, 08:04 AM
I surprised by how many different things have gone wrong with the EGR circuit. Usually it's one part that fails consistently but this one is all over the place. Mine failed because the intake channels were all coked up. Someone else failed because of a bad CVC. Someone else because of a gummed up EGR sensor, etc. etc. etc...

T

ecogabriel
12-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I surprised by how many different things have gone wrong with the EGR circuit. Usually it's one part that fails consistently but this one is all over the place. Mine failed because the intake channels were all coked up. Someone else failed because of a bad CVC. Someone else because of a gummed up EGR sensor, etc. etc. etc...

T

The EGR system has quite a number of parts, and 3Gs have a few additions with the individual channels that get clogged (like in your case). Mine had a non-reading sensor -an EGR valve swap cured it, and there is the issue with the complex ported vacuum system our cars have, plus potential wiring issues... and the fact that they are old cars so they require an extra measure of care. They work fine one manages to find the right way around them though.

Looking at differences, it is amazing to me to look under the hood of the Accord and then look at the Civic side-to-side. The latter had virtually no vacuum lines... hey, it does not even have an EGR system!!!

daniel4valcu
03-15-2010, 03:11 AM
hi guys , i am new in this forum, i am a proud owner of an accord aerodeck 2.0 exi , and i have the pgm-fi light on dash (it lightes on during i drive ),the engine stalls, the rpm goes down to 300-400 rpm and the throttle is useless , i press it and nothing happens .it eventually dies .every time i restart the engine works fine but it lasts a few miles .the ecu flashes 12 or 13 lights by the way .i went to services and they said that everything is okay on the car ....fuel pump, fuel filter,injectors, sparks ....i really don't know what is wrong .please help

Dr_Snooz
03-15-2010, 05:51 AM
hi guys , i am new in this forum, i am a proud owner of an accord aerodeck 2.0 exi , and i have the pgm-fi light on dash (it lightes on during i drive ),the engine stalls, the rpm goes down to 300-400 rpm and the throttle is useless , i press it and nothing happens .it eventually dies .every time i restart the engine works fine but it lasts a few miles .the ecu flashes 12 or 13 lights by the way .i went to services and they said that everything is okay on the car ....fuel pump, fuel filter,injectors, sparks ....i really don't know what is wrong .please help

One post of this should be sufficient. Thanks.

ecogabriel
03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
One post of this should be sufficient. Thanks.

Please note that the ECU codes may vary between US and European Accords. The service manuals for EU Accords are in this website -look for them-
Then look under your hood and you should have a label somewhere that will have information about the car and a certain code. For instance, US-based Accords are "KA". When you get the service manual you will see other codes such as KE, KX, etcetera; I believe the differences are about emission systems.

Get the manual, identify your car so you can refer to the specific cuestion, count the ECU flashing code accurately. We can start doing something once you are there.

daniel4valcu
03-15-2010, 08:33 AM
the engine is A20A4
thanks !