PDA

View Full Version : timing belt questions...

zack_attack2010
12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
So i previously posted a thread about me having no spark in my 87 accord, well i fixed that and now i have good spark(ignition module was out, ONLY $200 for a new one...good thing the economy is so great these days) and now the car refuses to start!!!! i know its REALLY bad for the starter to be cranked for a long time but i did this and i keep cranking and i put some gas in the carb while cranking and nothing, and it sounds like it wants to start like it catches for just a fraction of a second then nothing

So while i was cranking my step-dad noticed a noise coming from the timing belt area, and it sounds like a bad bearing or something, so i removed the top timing belt cover and the belt is really loose, i can easily move it side to side, and even take it off without having done nothing to the tensioner, and the belt on the right side of the cam gear has A LOT of play, like i can move it left and right and it feels really loose, but i cant move it up and down so its gotta be connected to the crank pulley, but i have little previous experience as to how much play should be involved in a timing belt

well my car has been broken down for nearly a week now and im just about to take it to a mechanic and say fuck it, but i would really like to solve this myself and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

dacantu
12-07-2009, 09:28 PM
sorry man. i dont have much experience myself. wish i could help. all i know is that none of my belts can get easily moved side to side or up and down

ShyBoyCA6
12-07-2009, 09:30 PM
maybe your belt is worn out?? is it even the right size??

zack_attack2010
12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
maybe your belt is worn out?? is it even the right size??

im hoping it just maybe skipped a few teeth and went off-time while i was messing around trying to figure out the spark issue, but the belt has to be the rite size, i have driven over 5,000 miles with it

ShyBoyCA6
12-07-2009, 09:47 PM
yeah maybe when you were driving did you have any other problems?? maybe figuring those problems can get you a main lead what the problem is like would your car idle low? engine shaking>

nswst8
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Timing belt simple to replace only difficult part is to loosen the crank pulley bolt. If you have impact air gun you are in the go mode.

Manual transaxle is a plus sometimes wedging a large flathead screwdriver in the flywheel against the bell housing.

Sometimes you can goto a garage and have them loosen it for you for a few dollars.

1st timers it will take you about 3-4 hours give or take an hour.

I do it in about an hour, give or take 15 minutes.

If you have the time I highly recommend that you DIY

zack_attack2010
12-07-2009, 10:00 PM
yeah maybe when you were driving did you have any other problems?? maybe figuring those problems can get you a main lead what the problem is like would your car idle low? engine shaking>

YES! my engine idles dangerously low, like REALLY REALLY low, when im at a stop sign and i tap the gas to move up, when i tap the gas and let go the RPM's fall SHARPLY, like down to 0, and then goes back up and idles at around less than 500, like the engine shakes a lot when im not moving, and just all over idles really low and shakes really bad, so when im in a line or whatev i just keep my foot on the brake and slightly push down the gas pedal to keep it idiling

ShyBoyCA6
12-07-2009, 10:06 PM
YES! my engine idles dangerously low, like REALLY REALLY low, when im at a stop sign and i tap the gas to move up, when i tap the gas and let go the RPM's fall SHARPLY, like down to 0, and then goes back up and idles at around less than 500, like the engine shakes a lot when im not moving, and just all over idles really low and shakes really bad, so when im in a line or whatev i just keep my foot on the brake and slightly push down the gas pedal to keep it idiling

alright check all Vac lines make sure you dont have a Vac leak somewhere by any chance do you have fuel injection? make sure to change main Vac Lines to the engine might be clogged from engine deposit.. let me know what type of engine and if its carb or FI and ill help you out more.. i do alot of work on my car maybe can help you out and save a trip to a mechanic

zack_attack2010
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
alright check all Vac lines make sure you dont have a Vac leak somewhere by any chance do you have fuel injection? make sure to change main Vac Lines to the engine might be clogged from engine deposit.. let me know what type of engine and if its carb or FI and ill help you out more.. i do alot of work on my car maybe can help you out and save a trip to a mechanic

im sure its not a vaccum line problem, when i first start up my car it idles fine, due to the cold idle i believe, so it should at least start, thats not a major problem as of now

But its carburated and its the factory 12 valve SOHC motor, i believe its a A20 motor or something like that, im not sure, i dont do research on shitty 98HP motors, just the B, K, F, and J series motors, haha

Nafs Asdf
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, that's the engine... but calling it shitty around here? Better go get your flame suit. :D

ShyBoyCA6
12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
im sure its not a vaccum line problem, when i first start up my car it idles fine, due to the cold idle i believe, so it should at least start, thats not a major problem as of now

But its carburated and its the factory 12 valve SOHC motor, i believe its a A20 motor or something like that, im not sure, i dont do research on shitty 98HP motors, just the B, K, F, and J series motors, haha

i believe you have a A20a1 well is the engine getting enough air? these engines need air to run smooth...ever thought doing a swap? im not really that good with carb dont really do research on the A20a1 motor is your car getting good gas? try using gas treatment and i think your engine has 2 filters am i correct?

zack_attack2010
12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah, that's the engine... but calling it shitty around here? Better go get your flame suit. :D

lol! well i mean look at the stats, its a SOHC motor producing 98HP stock, while many of hondas other SOHC motors are producing at least 130HP, and then you start to get into hondas GOOD DOHC motors, with the D series, producing around 140, then into my favorite B motors, the B18C5(ITR motor making nearly 200WHP stock, then the crazy ass K20 motors out of an RSX and the F out of S2000, and lastly the oddball J series out of an acura TL-S, producing somewhere around 260HP in a luxury car

then in my other car i own but dont drive daily, my toyota MR2, it has a DOHC 4A-GE motor producing around 110HP, but in a car that weighs around 1000lbs less than an accord, So im not trying to hate, due to the fact i dont wanna piss people off, and I personally drive my accord every day and it does fine, just definately not enough power to have any fun with, lol!!! sorry i just had to nerd out and let my collection of knowledge spill over :lol:

Nafs Asdf
12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
lol! well i mean look at the stats, its a SOHC motor producing 98HP stock, while many of hondas other SOHC motors are producing at least 130HP, and then you start to get into hondas GOOD DOHC motors, with the D series, producing around 140, then into my favorite B motors, the B18C5(ITR motor making nearly 200WHP stock, then the crazy ass K20 motors out of an RSX and the F out of S2000, and lastly the oddball J series out of an acura TL-S, producing somewhere around 260HP in a luxury car

then in my other car i own but dont drive daily, my toyota MR2, it has a DOHC 4A-GE motor producing around 110HP, but in a car that weighs around 1000lbs less than an accord, So im not trying to hate, due to the fact i dont wanna piss people off, and I personally drive my accord every day and it does fine, just definately not enough power to have any fun with, lol!!! sorry i just had to nerd out and let my collection of knowledge spill over :lol:

Don't mean to be an ass, but your collection of knowledge seems to be somewhat inaccurate. The B18C5 does not make nearly 200whp, it's 195 at the crank, probably closer to 160 at the wheels. Also I doubt that the mr2 is 1000 lbs lighter than the accord, I would guess it's closer to 500 lbs, of course a lot of the weight depends on accessories. My A16A Accord (no power options) is around 400 lbs lighter than my B20A one.

And for what it's worth, 98 (or 120+ for the EFI version) hp for a 20 year old engine out of a family sedan is pretty decent.

Of course newer engines are going to be more powerful, but just as "shitty" as the A20 is compared to a B18/B16, the B-series is compared to a K20.

Bass Man
12-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Definitely sounds like a timing issue. Either it's way too damn retarded or you jumped a tooth or more on the cam. You need to take the cover off and re-adjust the tensioner. It should be re-tensioned 500-750 miles after it's been replaced. It's fairly easy to do if you follow the book word for word.

Demon1024
12-08-2009, 02:12 AM
The way your describing the belt sounds like the tensioner spring came off/broke. If the belt deflects more than 1/2 an inch there's a problem imo.

Dr_Snooz
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Describing a motor that can go 500,000 miles and get 35 mpg the whole way as "shitty" doesn't really endear you to the community. I wish Honda could get back to producing such shit.

You should listen to nswst8's post and do as he says.

Importordomestic
12-08-2009, 04:51 PM

You should sell your car to someone that cares.

ShyBoyCA6
12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Well you dis your own car and other 3 gee owner

zack_attack2010
12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
You should sell your car to someone that cares.

well in may of next year first one with $1500 cash takes it, ill even leave in my pioneer deck, subs, amp, and door and deck speakers :P

but sorry i didnt realize that people were so bonded to this motor, but i agree with bassman about my issue, its just gotta be a timing issue, it may have jumped some teeth or the tensioner is broken, but i decided im just gonna tow it to a mechanic tomorrow, i think i mite do more harm than good trying to fix it, such as bend some valves or something fun like that, lol!

Bass Man
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
but i decided im just gonna tow it to a mechanic tomorrow, i think i mite do more harm than good trying to fix it, such as bend some valves or something fun like that, lol!
:thumbup:

Importordomestic
12-09-2009, 05:33 AM
:thumbup:

+1

bryan42688
06-19-2010, 06:14 AM
that guy talked about knowing shit obvisouly he did not know a damn thing he couldnt even fix his car