PDA

View Full Version : Performance clutch opinions please.

nswst8
12-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Has anyone used ACT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260325353755&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270311472696&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I have the 89 front almost fully torn apart and the clutch needs some attention. I have an Exedy in the other accord and it is performing well.

I have a LUK sitting on the shelf I could throw in right now but I know LUK makes clutches for Exedy.

I also have a Centerforce 1 clutch on the shelf.

So I would appreciate your input.

DC header is on, MSD is going in, Delta 272 and a high flow cat with 2 1/4 exhaust is on the way.

JohnBoy
12-09-2009, 12:21 AM
i've never used ACT but there a pertty well know company. i've had stock and spec stage 2 and just bought a spec stage 4 just because i liked the stage 2 which i have for sale with maybe 7k on it .

Civic Accord Honda
12-09-2009, 12:22 AM
ive heard some shitty things about act byt that was on civics so it may be diffrent

ghettogeddy
12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
go http://www.clutchnet.com/

Importordomestic
12-09-2009, 05:54 AM
I run a SPEC stage 3 6 puck sprung in my track car. The clutch is on the verge of not being streetable. It also helps that i live 5 miles from the main factory!

the 6 puck is going to run you close to 400$
http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Honda/Accord/1988/Single

turabaka
12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
no idea about ACT, but I run a centerforce stage 2 in my car and it grabs pretty hard. Not too harsh, but definitely enough for what I'm doing with it.

AccordEpicenter
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
exedy is good but its a stock replacement. Ive had really good experiences with the clutchnet clutch, but the spec was a huge fail for me. Ive heard good things about act and clutch masters but never had one.

mushroom_toy
12-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Im interested in this as well...gonna be looing for a clutch soon, but prob not gonna have over 150hp, so not too many problems I think a stage 2 from most manufacturers should be fine yes, but still leave some room for improvement?

itzdave
12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
i had an exedy, but it slipped a lil bit. then i got a centerforce stage 3, but totalled my car and now ive got an auto.
but when i swap it all over, the stage 3 is goin in...

rjudgey
12-10-2009, 02:31 AM
I've tried the lot and broke them all except two makes!! AP and Clutchnet!! AP doesn't officially make clutches for us i just got lucky with Borg and Beck happening to have AP pressure plates in their kits but the disks were crap and broke everytime so had to mix and match AP plate with Honda (blueprint) Disk, the Clutchnet is better than this setup as it uses a bigger disk and plate surface area as well as the plate being mega built for big HP but the Disks are just bullet proof you'll wear the engine out first before breaking one of these! The hubs are sprung or solid the sprung ones are so hard that the springs are pocketed into the hub and have so many rivets holding them together it's unreal, only down side is stock flywheel needs machining on the inside so it clears properly. If you use the Clutchnet flywheel this won't be an issue.

So in a word go with Clutchnet if you don't want to have to change ever again!! Get a red plate with a organic disk if your running upto 180bhp if you want more then i suggest you go with a Kevlar one for upto 230bhp and anymore than that probably going to need a more extreme disk.

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Il try to snap pics of my act clutch.... It was a good soft clutch but it would not grab hard now I'm running the clutchnet stage 3 plate with a 6 puck and it grabs good no more slip and proven reliablity... I had the clutch on my sedan and just tranfered it over and it still like new

Juggalo88Accord
12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I have a act 4 puck racing disk and heavy duty pressure plate. I like it grabs hard i wouldnt recomend for daily driving its kind of a pain clutch is real heavy. I would recomend act but probably just tha street set up. i think i went a little to far with mine

AccordEpicenter
12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
unless you really need the double spring steel pressure plate on the clutchnet clutch, id just get the medium one. The double spring steel one gives you a very heavy clutch pedal. I need it so i rock one but not all you guys will

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
unless you really need the double spring steel pressure plate on the clutchnet clutch, id just get the medium one. The double spring steel one gives you a very heavy clutch pedal. I need it so i rock one but not all you guys will

i had mine on my car and it was not bad but if you are driving in traffic it sucks...to the point where i would shift with out clutching...but yeah i love my stage 3...it bogs my engine down so i have to rev it up and drop it at higher RPMs...my first set up was with a stage 2 kevelar disk now im running the 6 puck....grabs a bit faster...all i need is to OBD1 it so i can tune the crap out of it

ShyBoyCA6
12-10-2009, 07:39 PM
whats the difference between 4 and 6 pucks?? is the four for aggressive driving?? or the 6 puck? thinkn of getting a stage 4 with 6 pucks

Tdurr
12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
im gonna get a spec stage 3 here soon for my bday and hopfully it can hold 200+hp..hehe

Juggalo88Accord
12-11-2009, 11:39 AM
whats the difference between 4 and 6 pucks?? is the four for aggressive driving?? or the 6 puck? thinkn of getting a stage 4 with 6 pucks

Tha 4 puck is much more agressive tha disk i have has no springs. Not a good city driving clutch, like messy said its not bad till you hit traffic

MessyHonda
12-12-2009, 07:40 PM
i know the clutch net set up i have can at least hold 325whp....guayanabo proved it on his turbo hatch....

ShyBoyCA6
12-12-2009, 07:44 PM
ok thanks for letting me know and what would recommend on a 3g? for steet and racing? (city and highway)

Importordomestic
12-14-2009, 06:32 PM
im gonna get a spec stage 3 here soon for my bday and hopfully it can hold 200+hp..hehe

Listen it is a really grabby clutch. I love mine, i have had 2 so far and i havent found a better one yet. I used to run a centraforce but i could easily make it slip. I have personally broke 2 axles with that clutch because it is so strong. Also gone through one transmission. The break in period lasts for 1000 miles or so. My last one lasted 3 years with drag and daily driving. :D

cygnus x-1
12-14-2009, 07:51 PM
So in a word go with Clutchnet if you don't want to have to change ever again!! Get a red plate with a organic disk if your running upto 180bhp if you want more then i suggest you go with a Kevlar one for upto 230bhp and anymore than that probably going to need a more extreme disk.

+1 for the red plate and sprung organic disc. Has tons of grip but still modulates without too much trouble. Pedal feel is very stiff though and it has almost a snap action so it takes some getting used to. For a daily driver in city traffic the yellow plate might be a little friendlier.

C|

2ndGenGuy
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I ran the green pressure plate from Clutchnet with the organic, sprung hub clutch. I found it very easy to modulate, and I never, ever had slipping problems like I did with the two previous OEM-level clutches. Made a huge difference at autocross, and doing launches from green lights. Never burned the Clutchnet clutch! :D Oh and their aluminum flywheels are great. They advertised it as 12lbs, but I weighed mine at 9lbs. <3 light flywheels.

Tdurr
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Listen it is a really grabby clutch. I love mine, i have had 2 so far and i havent found a better one yet. I used to run a centraforce but i could easily make it slip. I have personally broke 2 axles with that clutch because it is so strong. Also gone through one transmission. The break in period lasts for 1000 miles or so. My last one lasted 3 years with drag and daily driving. :D

good to know. Ill prob have to pick up another driveshaft shop shaft then. and i dont plan on launching too hard anyways.

AccordEpicenter
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
i have a dual diaphram 6 puck sprung. Easily streetable but it has a heavy pedal. holds like nothing ive ever used. I had a 3 puck unsprung and it was madness, you literally couldnt leave a stoplight or stop sign without spinning the tires, it was nasty.

mushroom_toy
02-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Im resurrecting this. What do yall think I should order? Gonna be running .20 over on block, 272 delta, pacesetter header, and a 2.25 in exhaust, with gsxr 750 throttle bodies. Ill probably be only be a few hp over stock, but Im going a more road racing route, so I want fast throttle response with the itbs. I want a clutch that wont slip under high rpm high load, and can handle faster shifts.

MessyHonda
02-14-2010, 10:20 AM
like i say....i will only buy clutchnet....i had a act stage 3 clutch in my coupe...yes it did handle the 164whp but not the best for daily...it was too soft and it would slip(smell bad too)...only grip when it was all the way out....right now im running a six puck and stage 3 pressure plate

JohnBoy
02-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Im resurrecting this. What do yall think I should order? Gonna be running .20 over on block, 272 delta, pacesetter header, and a 2.25 in exhaust, with gsxr 750 throttle bodies. Ill probably be only be a few hp over stock, but Im going a more road racing route, so I want fast throttle response with the itbs. I want a clutch that wont slip under high rpm high load, and can handle faster shifts.

for a little over stock i would go with a stage 3 if you making a more auto cross car. i had a spec stage 2 i never had a problem with it slipping but that was when it was pretty much stock

turabaka
02-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm running a centerforce stage 2 and I've got no problems with it holding. Full throttle through corners at the autocross with the tires spinning. The clutch doesn't give at all. It's also nice and mild for daily driving.