PDA

View Full Version : How did I forget???

jg09
12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
When I got the 3g, I forgot to check the condition of the brakes. Because of that, I didn't realize that the driver side pads had about 1mm left of useable material. Well now the pads have no useable material and the rotor has a groove cut into the outside edge... yeah, you can pretty much figure out what happened on your own there.

Fortunately, I have a buddy who is gonna hook me up with a free caliper and rotors (if they're still in good shape) off the 3g he has for parts. It's Twitch27, one of the many 0 posters on the site. Once I get parts off, I'll take pics of the damage and tell how my brake swap in 15-20 degree weather goes.

ghettogeddy
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
rotors are super cheap like 15-20 each calipers should be fine no need to change those lol

itzdave
12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
yea, and i think autozone has super cheap pads as well...

jg09
12-09-2009, 11:58 PM
NICE! i'm super poor, so thats good news. lol

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 01:33 AM
yeah always change out the rotor if you can....its better to start fresh

Sh4d0w
12-10-2009, 01:37 AM
well, at least you are 20 degrees warmer then it is here right now lol.

Oldblueaccord
12-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Down and dirty you can just slap pads on it and do it right when theres a spring thaw. Remove the bottom bolt of the caliper and swing it up on the top bolt loosened. Thats how midas does it...:rly:

wp

Joay
12-10-2009, 06:32 AM
yea, and i think autozone has super cheap pads as well...
Stay out of there, mine are squeaking and shimmying after 5,000 miles. I drive like an old woman. Maybe the ceramics are better but don't get the Gold ones or whatever they're called.

Dr_Snooz
12-10-2009, 07:57 AM
If the rotors only have a groove, you don't really even need to change them. If I were poor (oh wait, I am), I'd leave them. The new pads will wear into the groove just fine.

If the rotors are warped, then you should at least machine them straight again. If they are beyond the service limit, you can still use them, but they will warp again a lot faster. I don't recommend using them beyond the service limit, but you can if it's a dire necessity.

jg09
12-10-2009, 08:29 AM
If the rotors only have a groove, you don't really even need to change them. If I were poor (oh wait, I am), I'd leave them. The new pads will wear into the groove just fine.

The groove is pretty gnarly. it's not just a small one. It's about 3/4" wide, 1 to 1.5 mm deep, and it's not smooth, it's all rough and shit. That's what's keeping me from just doing pads.

2oodoor
12-10-2009, 09:17 AM
swap out the rotors, they will file down the pads very quickley

cubert
12-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Stay out of there, mine are squeaking and shimmying after 5,000 miles. I drive like an old woman. Maybe the ceramics are better but don't get the Gold ones or whatever they're called.

Ill second this...the cheap autozone stuff is just that, cheap.

2ndGenGuy
12-10-2009, 10:53 AM
^^^ +1 At least get the cheap NAPA pads. They're like $12 for the front of your car and aren't complete garbage like AutoZone. And their cheap rotors are really good stuff too!

ghettogeddy
12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
i would never buy auto zone pads but to me rotors are rotors lol

www.buybrakes.com has great deals on brembo blanks

gp02a0083
12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
the front will cost yah about 25 a rotor from autozone, i ended up getting the ceramic pads , all in all it was like 70-80 for the front end. brakes should only take about 15 min a side to do

ghettogeddy
12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
man i got aem pads and brembo blanks form the site i put up the for like under 100 but they dont make the pads anymore

i must have goten them on a killer sale cause there 43 each now but i got them for 25 each lol
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/BR25275

the ebc pads seem to be cheap there as well
http://www.buybrakes.com/ebc/pad-apps-Honda.html

jg09
12-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Well, here goes the day's report...

Damage:
1 toasted brake pad, with even the rivets in it worn down
1 ground down and cracked rotor
1 busted impact driver

What I did to the car:
Installed 1 rotor from my buddy's 3g
mix and matched pads that seemed like they were in good condition
Disconnected the door open/seat belt off ringer and light
Put air in the back driver side tire

Overall impressions:
brakes are GREAT
Hardly any pull to the driver side without a dragging caliper and the addition of air to the low tire
no annoying beeping sound constantly telling me a door might be open (emphasis on MIGHT, it never really was)

I have the rotor and toasted pad in the back, I'll try to take some pics tomorrow of it