PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord running rough

paulwwww
12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Time out value on this forum stinks. Sorry anyways, car progressively started running rough. When I hit the gas it almost sounds like it is missing, but I don't think it is. First it did it occassionally, then the other day it does it the entire time I am driving.

Symptoms are like rough running with no acceleration. I did find other similar stuff possibly pointing to fuel pump, filter possibly. Guess there are a couple of tests to access that problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also plugs are new, wires look a little old, but not bad. Distributor car looks good from the outside, had problems with a cracked one a couple years back and replaced, no problems since, that I am aware of. Not sure when exactly I will be back on the board. One hour drive home and back in to work at 07:00. Thanks in advance!

stevo89
12-30-2009, 12:36 AM
check distributor again and make sure your boots on your wires are comletely pushed down

dacantu
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
if the wires look old change them.

good luck

nswst8
12-30-2009, 01:30 AM
You can OHM out the wires to see if they are still working properly, inline spark plug tester will help with this as well.

Pull Dizzy cap and rotor button visually inspect and sand to clean bare metal with steel wool or fine sandpaper.

Just remember when changing fuel filter (Change at 60,000) to remove gas cap to release pressure.

A20A1
12-30-2009, 07:23 PM
LX DX?
You might want to check this thread.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568

paulwwww
01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
First off, thanks for all of your replies, greatly appreciated. I am pulling this car into the garage this weekend to work on. It's a DX carb.

Wires - may replace know the bosch ones are garbage from autozone, well that's what my mechanic told me, any brand suggestions?

Don't recall fuel filters ever being replaced on this car, but I've owned it for over 20 years, so maybe. For the price was thinking I would do that first. Well the one in the engine bay test, then the one in the rear. try to save some work.

nswst8
You can OHM out the wires to see if they are still working properly, inline spark plug tester will help with this as well.

Pull Dizzy cap and rotor button visually inspect and sand to clean bare metal with steel wool or fine sandpaper.

Just remember when changing fuel filter (Change at 60,000) to remove gas cap to release pressure.

paulwwww
01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
A20A1 Thanks for the link, kinda hope it ain't a loose booster venturi. :-)See how things go...

LxAcc510
01-01-2010, 01:57 PM
i use ngk wires and plugs.

And I need to replace my fuel filter also. Is there a write up on fuel filter replacement?

paulwwww
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I imagine it is in here; http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

Also looks like autozone.com actually has pretty good instructions as well. Be the first time I've fooled with it. I haven't crawled under there yet, hopefully tomorrow. Only thing I am concerned with is how the fuel lines look. Let me know how it goes. I'll do the same.

paulwwww
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
lxacc510,
forgot to say thanks for the info on the plug wires, I'll check them out...