PDA

View Full Version : 3G vs 4G

w261w261
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I have to buy a quick car for one of my sons, and it only has to get him through the next few months. Naturally, I figured I would get a 3G - go with what you know. Problem is, he objects heavily to the flip-up lights as being too "old fashioned." I know, the kid has no sense.

I know nothing about the 4G, except that it looks pretty much like the 3G. Is there anything that I should be aware of beyond the usual 3G stuff? Is it the same motor? Thx.

ShyBoyCA6
12-10-2009, 06:00 PM
well get yo son into the pop up lights

3G and 4G do not have the same motor the 3 geez come with the A20a1 or A20a3 and the 4g comes with the f22a1 and a2

a20a1 hp 98
a20a3 110-120 hp

f22a1 125 hp
f22a2 sama as above

the 4g accord ex comes with 140 stock i think

engine size in 3g is 2.0liter and 4g is a 2.2 liter

frantik
12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
tell your kid flip up headlights are cool as fuck.. if he doubts you, show him the ol' crazy headlight trick hahaha where you press the headlight switch a bunch of times till they get out of sync *i take no responsibility if something breaks)

ghettogeddy
12-10-2009, 06:10 PM
tell them if he dont like them he can keep them flipped up lol

frantik
12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
lol

w261w261
12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
tell your kid flip up headlights are cool as fuck.. if he doubts you, show him the ol' crazy headlight trick hahaha where you press the headlight switch a bunch of times till they get out of sync *i take no responsibility if something breaks)

Oh yeah frantik, that's what I'm gonna do for sure, fuck with my headlights until they don't do so well. Jeez, at first I thought that was CAH talkin' :)

ShyBoyCA6
12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
fuck them shits up lol good one

LX-i
12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
get him a 4g, you can find them everywhere (here at least) cheap.

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 06:56 PM
well what does your son want to do? keep it stock or mod it out

w261w261
12-10-2009, 07:08 PM
well what does your son want to do? keep it stock or mod it out

-Ahem- Well, the car is just something to get him through the winter. He is now driving a hand-me-down Subaru SVX with Lexus SC400 18 inchers, which hydro on any snow at all. I could put on snows with some old OEM rims, but that would be $600. So I figure I'll just get a car for the winter, then sell it in a few months unless he falls in love (like I did). As for whether he's going to mod it, the car developed a cold start problem a month or so ago. I changed out Subaru's version of the TW sensor, which helped but didn't cure the problem. When it catches, it's fine, but it needs a shot of ether to get going, only when cold. When I handed him a can of starting fluid, I said just spray it on the Air filter at the end of the CAI, he said "what's an air filter." There's the answer.

ShyBoyCA6
12-10-2009, 07:14 PM
well that means he dont know anything about the car hes driving might as well teach what is what and i would suggest the 4g cause they come with air bags

MessyHonda
12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah get him a 4th gen....you can get parts easier for them plus i dont think he is going to mod it if he drives a lexus

charliekuney
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
If I were talking to my son, I would tell him to look at a 2004 Corvette, and to shut the fuck up and be happy that I'm not making him get a Tercel.

frantik
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah frantik, that's what I'm gonna do for sure, fuck with my headlights until they don't do so well. Jeez, at first I thought that was CAH talkin' :)
the headlight trick is cool to watch as long as it's someone else car thats doing it :D

Civic Accord Honda
12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
4g

There safer,
More powerfull if EX
More aftermarket options
Over all better looking IMO
Funer to drive
More comfortable
More reliable (there transmissions dont die every time u fart and cough idk how many 3gees ive seen on here that are missing 5th gear and how many trany rebuilds ive seen)
F22s are known to go up to the 700k mark and past it ive heard that from many honda mechanics when i was calling asking about diffrent hondas

this is me compareing a 1991 EX Coupe to a 1989 SE-i Coupe
Ex has 300k+ Miles , Sei had 150k miles

AccordB20A
12-10-2009, 08:42 PM
i have a problem with the way the 4s engines mounted facing back it looks teh ghey

A18A
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
yeah but it all depends on what car cah has at the time :O

ShyBoyCA6
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
4g

There safer,
More powerfull if EX
More aftermarket options
Funer to drive
More comfortable
More reliable (there transmissions dont die every time u fart and cough idk how many 3gees ive seen on here that are missing 5th gear and how many trany rebuilds ive seen)
F22s are known to go up to the 700k mark and past it ive heard that from many honda mechanics when i was calling asking about diffrent hondas

its all about the ex 4g they have 140hp for a 2.2ltr

lostforawhile
12-10-2009, 09:57 PM
4g

There safer,
More powerfull if EX
More aftermarket options
Funer to drive
More comfortable

why do you hang around if you hate them so much? when you had your three g it was all about your car and 4th generation ones sucked

Civic Accord Honda
12-10-2009, 10:48 PM
yeah but it all depends on what car cah has at the time :O
nah id say to get a 5th gen over a 4g :O

why do you hang around if you hate them so much? when you had your three g it was all about your car and 4th generation ones sucked

1 i joined cb7tuner and have wanted a cb for 2 years before i got mine. i even tried selling my 3gee to get one in 2007 but of course my 3gee was to trashed to sale,

2 i do like 3gees(still have a life goal to restore a hatch) but think that most now a days need to much work and they have no aftermarket support,

3 i was sticking around to help people out, but it seems i get no respect here so this will be my last post i am logging off and not coming back on ,

4 you guys need to grow the fuck up and realize just because you like a car doesn't mean its the greatest thing ever fucking built, pull your heads out of your asses please,

Rendon LX-i
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
i have a problem with the way the 4s engines mounted facing back it looks teh ghey

:cheers:

ShyBoyCA6
12-10-2009, 10:57 PM

1 i joined cb7tuner and have wanted a cb for 2 years before i got mine. i even tried selling my 3gee to get one in 2007 but of course my 3gee was to trashed to sale,

2 i do like 3gees(still have a life goal to restore a hatch) but think that most now a days need to much work and they have no aftermarket support,

3 i was sticking around to help people out, but it seems i get no respect here so this will be my last post i am logging off and not coming back on ,

4 you guys need to grow the fuck up and realize just because you like a car doesn't mean its the greatest thing ever fucking built, pull your heads out of your asses please,

yo bro dont listen to him you can stay and help other people just chill and stay on the site dont listen to the damn geezer

lostforawhile
12-10-2009, 11:22 PM

um this site is about the three g, if you don't like it then why are you complaining, if you had a Camero you wouldn't go on a mustang site and say your camaro was the greatest thing in the world? your opinion is one thing, but why stir up trouble by going on a site about a particular car and running that car down? :dunno: thats putting down a lot of people who work really hard on these cars. I would be working on mine but i've been way to sick these last few months.

lostforawhile
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
yo bro dont listen to him you can stay and help other people just chill and stay on the site dont listen to the damn geezer
of course he can stay but why complain about what is so terrible about a particular car on a site that is about that car? This is the same person who used to want to marry his three g, but it's not legal yet

labeledsk8r
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
id have to say for a car that somoen is just going to drive the 4th gen (or even the 5th gen) wouldnt be a bad choice, very little problems out of my car and i paied 350 bucks for it. so for sometihng ot drive and not care should be a great car, and ;like mentioned you can pick up 4th gens for next to nothing

i have trained you well lolol

its true i remember this i kept telling him he was an idiot

sadly i agree with this post i stick around on here to help people out, just seems like this place is startting to fill up with stupidity, asshole comments, theivery, and many other things, i loved my 3gee(s) and my first one will allways have a place in my heart mostly but when someone is asking for the best thing for a younger person to drive for the money you cant say oh get him a 3g becuse its cool... thats plain ignornent

**edit** and lost you are bitching about him complainging about not likeing certain aspects of the 3gee accord yet yourself have changed just about every stock part (most of the time for no reason) becuse you complain it wasnt built right or good enough to do what you want to do (wich i dont think anyone includeing yourself knows what your doing to it)

lostforawhile
12-11-2009, 12:43 AM
id have to say for a car that somoen is just going to drive the 4th gen (or even the 5th gen) wouldnt be a bad choice, very little problems out of my car and i paied 350 bucks for it. so for sometihng ot drive and not care should be a great car, and ;like mentioned you can pick up 4th gens for next to nothing

i have trained you well lolol

its true i remember this i kept telling him he was an idiot

sadly i agree with this post i stick around on here to help people out, just seems like this place is startting to fill up with stupidity, asshole comments, theivery, and many other things, i loved my 3gee(s) and my first one will allways have a place in my heart mostly but when someone is asking for the best thing for a younger person to drive for the money you cant say oh get him a 3g becuse its cool... thats plain ignornent

**edit** and lost you are bitching about him complainging about not likeing certain aspects of the 3gee accord yet yourself have changed just about every stock part (most of the time for no reason) becuse you complain it wasnt built right or good enough to do what you want to do (wich i dont think anyone includeing yourself knows what your doing to it)
I know exactly what i'm doing, i know exactly what i need to finish it, i just don't have the money ,and i've been sick for months i barely have the energy to get out of bed, As soon as i get better i'll be out there, i have an entire garage of parts ready to go on the car, some days i have good days, most of the time i have bad days, when i'm not getting hit with side effects, i try and work a little to compensate for my unemployment, the car will come back together,i've never given up on it and i won't give up on it. I tried to go out and make part of the dash the other day and it about killed me.

lostforawhile
12-11-2009, 01:36 AM
cah it's nothing personal, you are ok, i've known you for years, but I just don't understand why you are trashing the three g on a board dedicated to it. it's a vintage car, of course it's not as good as a modern car, but if you want to run it down, you just don't get the idea of owning a vintage car in the first place.

Demon1024
12-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Never have i dropped 5th in a 3g. That's from people using the wrong fluid. Just like when people use the wrong power steering fluid in them. Not the cars fault.

Dont give kids 3gs!
They're getting hard enough to find already. + the airbags thing....

2oodoor
12-11-2009, 04:38 AM
labeledsk8r:lol:
for real...

I agree on the pros but to list cons..particularly air bags being a pro
4th gen much heavier car
Cams are known to have problems
window issues all the time
plastics degrade, and a lot of it on the car
electronic shift solenoids randomly screw up and can leave you stranded

Not bad cars at all though.

Flipped headlights can be converted to halos with squinting doors, or you can get JDM facia parts! :rolleyes:

w261w261
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
HEY CAH. I started this thread and personally don't want you to quit on my watch. A lot of the things you say are humorous, intended or not, and that's not a bad thing. The world can always use an extra smile.

Special interest boards always attract passionate people...it's what keeps us going out to the garage even though we feel like shit to try to work on an old dash. Sometimes that passion can morph into anger or frustration quicker than we might otherwise like. But it's a car, for crissake, so nothing too personal I would hope. People can like other cars other than the 3G and do just fine here.

lostforawhile
12-11-2009, 02:42 PM
HEY CAH. I started this thread and personally don't want you to quit on my watch. A lot of the things you say are humorous, intended or not, and that's not a bad thing. The world can always use an extra smile.

Special interest boards always attract passionate people...it's what keeps us going out to the garage even though we feel like shit to try to work on an old dash. Sometimes that passion can morph into anger or frustration quicker than we might otherwise like. But it's a car, for crissake, so nothing too personal I would hope. People can like other cars other than the 3G and do just fine here.

yea i don't hate the guy or anything he knows it, It just aggravates me when someone comes on a car site and puts down the car the site is about. It's one thing to talk about a different car, but something else to talk about how far superior it is to the cars the board is about and trash the older car.

AccordB20A
12-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I agree on the pros but to list cons..particularly air bags being a pro
4th gen much heavier car
Cams are known to have problems
window issues all the time
plastics degrade, and a lot of it on the car
electronic shift solenoids randomly screw up and can leave you stranded

do you guys get the drivers window fail in the 4g? over here nearly every single car has a drivers window that doesnt go up and down

as for the shift solenoids, get a manual!! lol

as you were guys

LewZur
12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
:rofl: you guys got me rolling on this thread.

Civic Accord Honda
12-15-2009, 01:04 AM
Well.... I am here for now, IF you guys don't like it suck it :p i will post whats on my mind and my true feelings, i aint going to be sugar coating things.
I never said the 3g was bad car, i just said what i felt was a better winter beater(imo 3gees should be restored or fixed up to be bad ass , not just driven around as is, there getting old and parts are getting harder to find so it would be nice if the ones that were out there were getting restored instead of eating up by the winter),

and yes with my experience and from reading allot of other topics on here the 3gees transmission is not its strong point, this is not stopping me from wanting a hatchback tho,
if you take care of the trans it will most likely take care of you, if you race the car alot and power shift the bitch yeah its not going to last as long.

ShyBoyCA6
12-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Welcome back cah

carotman
12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
I would get him whatever honda that isn't carbed and isn't rusted :D

lostforawhile
12-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Welcome back cah

he never went anywhere, after he went to the civic(dark) side, he hasn't been on much, he doesn't like all the newbies on here is all. I got a facebook mail from him

Oldblueaccord
12-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I had a 4g wagon. it was an ok car. Auto trans computers go bad but you can get a rebuilt one for about 200. The D light will blink at you and it will only use like 2,3 gear. They ll slip real bad like there spent also. Good way to get a used one cheap.

I dont like the brake rotor setup hub over rotors.

Had the window problem for sure.

F22 is a pretty good motor. Mine blew up right at 200k but it was ran pretty hard and was burning oil. I think the guy that borrowed it let the oil run low and it burnt the rings.

Suspension about the same as ours lower spring rates and the rear links are moved so they dont wear out like ours do.

wp

Civic Accord Honda
12-15-2009, 12:58 PM
yeah i think it must of been ran low on oil or something... my cluster says 230.... but the vss didnt work for years and during the years it was driven alot... they actually drove it from alaska to florida and to cali a few times according to the old owner... so it probaly has around 300k... i know its got around 7000 miles put on it while we had it alone lol...
old owner was a younger chick... and she thought it was not full on oil until the valve cover was completely filled up (lucky for me the wheel bearing went out right after she changed it so it wasent over filled for to long)

and it just started burning oil this month... which is mostly due to bad valve seals, ( also once during one of the drives to ridgecrest from tehachapi about 3 monthss ago it ran out of oil not low enough to kick the oil light on thank god or the engine would be fucked but low enough to the point it didnt show on the dip stick)

ShyBoyCA6
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
he never went anywhere, after he went to the civic(dark) side, he hasn't been on much, he doesn't like all the newbies on here is all. I got a facebook mail from him

Oh alright its cool then but some newbies ask the wierdest the questions

Civic Accord Honda
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Oh alright its cool then but some newbies ask the wierdest the questions

indeed, and post the same question over and over again and dont search, and alot of the older members have been wearing there ass as a hat for way to fucking long, and some of the admins and and mods have unknown objected stuck up there fucking asses... but im on here to post what i do know, and to keep up to date on whats going on with some peoples cars.

Bass Man
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Airbags weigh too much. CON!
I see a lot of people ricing out 4g's while a lot of people are de-ricing 3g's.

lostforawhile
12-15-2009, 02:03 PM
indeed, and post the same question over and over again and dont search, and alot of the older members have been wearing there ass as a hat for way to fucking long, and some of the admins and and mods have unknown objected stuck up there fucking asses... but im on here to post what i do know, and to keep up to date on whats going on with some peoples cars.

hmmm reminds of me another once newbie who used to drive everyone crazy,

Civic Accord Honda
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
hmmm reminds of me another once newbie who used to drive everyone crazy,

was it you? :lol:

Yeah yeah i used to be a pia noob BUT i was like the only one back then... now we have 60 of them....

ShyBoyCA6
12-15-2009, 08:46 PM

lol true that i seen threads that have been asked 2 time or more and i only been on here for a month and a half and i know ima noob but i look up and search before posting a thread haha

hammer3rd
06-23-2010, 03:20 AM
If I were going to go 4g it would have to be 94 up. The rotor and bearings are on the 90-93 backwards, meaning you have to take the bearings off befor you can take the rotors off, 94 up are not that way. Or at least that is what I have read about them any way. So you maintenance would be much easier.

kentwat
06-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Just curious what years are the 4th gen? JMHO if the kid despises the vehicle he will not take care of it.

2drSE-i
06-23-2010, 08:04 AM
90-93 is 4th gen, 94-97 is 5th

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Holy fuck, if it's not a 3gee, it's a piece of shit! Don't you guys get it, 3g Accords are the best car ever! There's nothing better! Why do you all hate 3geez. If you don't think they're the best, you must hate them! :kekeke:

JTM
06-25-2010, 05:11 PM
The 4G is a great car! I own a 91' Accord Lx w/ 118k. The car has had it's share of problems like:
-Dizzy went bad
-Sway bar end-links needed to be changed
-Oil pan gasket
-Valve cover gasket

However, those are all due to old age and aren't really big issues. The pro's are that the 4g's aren't too expensive and last a long time (f22a1,2). The con's are that the auto transmissions shift a little hard (every one I have driven in), but I've been told that they are indestructible if you change the fluid every once in a while and drive sensible.

Also, the 4g only comes with airbags on the 92' and 93' years.

I would highly recommend the 4g.

bryan42688
06-25-2010, 05:52 PM
why bring this up , this is old . and yes 4gee is 1990-1994 in the usa at least and they are great cars all honda are, 3gees arejust better because they are older

JTM
06-25-2010, 07:33 PM
why bring this up , this is old . and yes 4gee is 1990-1994 in the usa at least and they are great cars all honda are, 3gees arejust better because they are older

Incorrect. 4G is 90-93.

88lxi-shortram
06-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Dont give kids 3gs!
They're getting hard enough to find already. + the airbags thing....[/QUOTE]

lol im 17 and even though im a "kid" i do my best to keep my car good. even if its dead now im putting every dime i have into it

Rendon LX-i
06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Incorrect. 4G is 90-93.

Correct. 94-97 i think is 5th gen

labeledsk8r
06-25-2010, 10:28 PM

according to this statement my car doesnt exist

Hauntd ca3
06-26-2010, 02:37 AM
according to this statement my car doesnt exist

what bout my 5g from 93
3geez should be treated with love and care for reasons stated earlier. 4gs are dime a dozen and are great for youngsters as are 5gs.
just dont get a kid a 5g SiR, they are just getting rare enuff now eh.
or could just get a d15 carbed pos for a beater

2drSE-i
06-26-2010, 07:00 AM
what bout my 5g from 93
3geez should be treated with love and care for reasons stated earlier. 4gs are dime a dozen and are great for youngsters as are 5gs.
just dont get a kid a 5g SiR, they are just getting rare enuff now eh.
or could just get a d15 carbed pos for a beater

NZ doesnt count. Ever

:kekeke: