PDA

View Full Version : High idle issues only once in a while, need help

Sofmech
12-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Ok, before I get flamed I have checked the search on here, Google, shop manuels and other places. I have a 1989 Accord LX(should have done more research before getting a carb model). My problem is this. In the cold mornings I pump the gas and it starts right up. The idle stays at about 2500rpm for a minute or so and then goes to 2000rpm. Sometimes when I kick the gas it goes down to about 850rpms but other times it will stay at 1800-2000 rpms. I have about a 25 minute drive to work and by the time I get there it will still be at 2000 rpms. If I turn it off then and try to start it about 10 minutes later, it will just turn over. I have to let it sit for an hour or so and then it fires right up. Almost like it has flooded. Other mornings it will idle down and be just fine, kind of hit or miss. The car runs like a champ, no sputter, no idle fluctuation or anything like that. This just happens first thing in the morning. After work, the car runs like normal, providing it doesent get down to 20 degrees all day. Im at a loss. All the vacum lines look brand new, its got 168,000 miles on it and just had the timing belt changed about 5000 miles ago. Maybe it needs a rebuilt carb? Maybe just something to do with the choke? I shot it with carb cleaner and it does the same thing. Thought maybe someone on here would have had the same problem. Thanks for any help guys.

Sofmech
12-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Funny how a new intake air control diaphram fixed the whole problem. Running like a champ now. Also put a new Distributor seal, new oil filter base seal and brakes and rotors. Should be good for a while.

A20A1
12-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Doesn't seem funny really, that hot air is useful.

Sh4d0w
12-19-2009, 12:46 AM
glad you got it sorted. Sorry we wheren't able to be of more help. Enjoy your 3G!