PDA

View Full Version : Dr_Snooz's Marvelous Magical Exploding Transmission

Dr_Snooz
12-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I know my build thread isn't the most exciting but I'd appreciate feedback on how this happened:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66022&page=6&highlight=hoopty

You can skip down to post #134 to see the wreckage.

Thanks!

MessyHonda
12-14-2009, 12:09 AM
yuck...when they rebuilt mine i think they didnt install 3 gear syncro right...it always grinds

89T
12-14-2009, 04:45 AM
I had to squeeze pretty good. Probably around an 1/8". Enough that if a few revolutions didn't loosen it up, then with heat and load, that pressure would be enough to pop teeth off a gear. Especially if the gear bearing the brunt of it was a little one acting as a fulcrum on the very end of the main shaft. That does indeed look like what happened.

I'm also not liking my mix and match hypothesis. If anything, those parts should get sloppier over time, not tighter. So that's rubbish.

Areas for further inquiry that I'm gathering from your posts are the following:

1. Look for missing thrust washers. There are two. One on the main shaft and another on the counter shaft.
2. Bent main shaft. Should be easy enough to check.
3. Bent case. Should be easy to measure the distance between the two shaft bearings in each case. The case didn't leak, so it can't be too far off
4. Figure out why I had to squeeze those shafts together. This is probably the most likely and I'm not sure how to tackle it.

One other thought: I managed to over torque the main shaft lock nut quite dreadfully as I was assembling. I thought I had a torque wrench that clicks in the reverse direction, so I was torquing with all my might when I realized that I don't. :stick: I backed off the nut and re-torqued to my best guess of 65 ft-lbs. I don't think that really did anything in this case, but it's a thought.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I appreciate when the smart guys here weigh in on the stuff I've managed to screw up. It helps me learn.

:rockon:
I have seen this in a transmission that was untouched until i opened it up.
Nothing looked overly loose and all the bearings were intact. I didn't check anything because all i wanted was the diff gear for the phantom grip.

see if you can get a good clear pic of the break it self...

the design of the gear is optimal for reducing noise and increasing the contact patch the downfall is under torque the gear's tend to separate or push them selves away from each other linearly (<-----______> ).

If the gear broke on a corner i would tent to think one or both shaft's/gears traveled in some way.

lostforawhile
12-14-2009, 04:48 AM
I stole the name of your thread :D sounds like the Beatles http://www.poster-books.com/images/masters-of-rock-issue-7-psychedelic-60s.jpg

Dr_Snooz
12-14-2009, 09:56 PM
There's an update on post #148.

Oldblueaccord
12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Ill add my comment here. Its prolly the case. There AL and not much to them. Remember its your transaxle too so its taking a beating. Most of the trans places I have used have special rods that go into the case to check alignments etc before they even start building them.

We played around with a friends NV3500 with rebuilders but the gear whine noise would always come back. We took it to this old dude and I asked him about checking the case. he laughed and said if I check the case its trash. He had a way with shims to fix it up and damn did it work right.

Holler if you need one Ill get you a good one if I have to give you the one I have outta my car. I am going to do the clutch at 300k anyway it will be out in the spring.

wp