PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Changing the main relay correctly is

Bluntman
12-13-2009, 06:29 PM
A pain in the butt. Since this one is on my car I decided drop the fuse block and unbolt the old one and bolt back the new one in place, and not just plug in the new one and hang it up there like I did on my friends. MY GOD! Fishing that fuse block down through a million miles of wire just to get a "peek" at the one lousy bolt that holds on the main relay is not fun. My back is killing me! At least now I got it out and taking a break. THEN I AM GOING BACK IN. Not looking forward to trying to get that one lousy bolt back on, and then stuffing the fuse block back up there to get it up and over the two bolt mounts. Whoever has taken the time to do this right, I commend you. You have to be a contortionist. At least I got a OEM Mitsuba, so it is worth the extra effort and good for another 20+ years.:cheers:

ghettogeddy
12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
why not just leave it hanging so you dont have to do it again lol

Bluntman
12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
why not just leave it hanging so you dont have to do it again lol

Well I got it up there and the bolt on. I guess it is the challenge and I am picky that way. Now I have to fish the fuse block back up. Going smooth so far.

ghettogeddy
12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
i would have just zip tied it to a new location thats easier to get to

w261w261
12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
those of us that put the relay in right have big bragging rights! I did it without dropping the fuse block, and there was a lot of cussin going on. I even bought a new tool.because of it (husky rotating ratchet).

beran24
12-13-2009, 07:20 PM
yeah its a pain i took mine out the other day havent attempted puttin it back in yet should be fun lol

Bluntman
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
those of us that put the relay in right have big bragging rights! I did it without dropping the fuse block, and there was a lot of cussin going on. I even bought a new tool.because of it (husky rotating ratchet).

Holy Crap! Without dropping the fuse box:eek5: I am cussing with dropping it. Now it is just a matter of plugging in a couple plugs to the box and threading the bundles of wires and the block back up. Man it is tight up there. I like those rotating ratchets. I used a long extension and a universal. Worked out well so far.:cheers: My back hurts, my knees hurt and my knuckles are cut as usual.

ghettogeddy
12-13-2009, 07:35 PM
i need to figure out something for my elantra lol when i put the stereo in i mounted the heater control valve opener wrong and when i wen to put it to heat it snapped a lil plastic bar that it sits on
now i cant get it to heat unless i use a pair or needle nose pliers
but still then when i turn the car off or hit a bumb it goes back to cold lol
i have to glue something to it for the mean time so its easy to switch just cant get my fat ass down there to do it lol

ill fix it right soon
but with the holidays the extra money goes to gifts lol

Dr_Snooz
12-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Yep, that one's a doozy. I got it out with a u-joint on a 10" extension. If I remember correctly, I peered through the coin tray hole to see it while threading the socket through the underside of the dash. It was still a drag. I didn't put it back. I had sworn enough over it.

I did however, replace the OEM antenna. Now THAT is a serious pain.

Bluntman
12-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Yep, that one's a doozy. I got it out with a u-joint on a 10" extension. If I remember correctly, I peered through the coin tray hole to see it while threading the socket through the underside of the dash. It was still a drag. I didn't put it back. I had sworn enough over it.

I am having a hell of a time getting that fuse block back up there, that bar is just enough in the way.It is very difficult. I was not even going to attempt threading that plastic line to the motor when I did my antenna, I just cut it off.

ghettogeddy
12-13-2009, 08:46 PM

i was gona do that once i bought the part and jsut never did it lol

Bluntman
12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Finally got that fuse block on. It was just cuss, move looms of wire, cuss then it hits the brace just enough to almost let you get by, BUT OH NO, NOT GONNA DO IT. Finally if you get at just the right "ANGLES" and the thick bundles of wires are just right, and all the planets are aligned and say 19 hail Mary's, you can muscle it over the bolt mounts. It runs and no electrical fire under the dash.:D

charliekuney
12-13-2009, 10:27 PM
I took one out and put one back in with just a socket wrench [with an extension] in a few minutes without removing anything, no problems. I have malleable hands. (:

2drSE-i
12-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I took one out and put one back in with just a socket wrench [with an extension] in a few minutes without removing anything, no problems. I have malleable hands. (:

You are either lying or are a ghost. No way in hell did it take me less than an hour, just to UNPLUG the old one. Now, i didn't drop the fuse block either, but there was a LOT of cussing.

lostforawhile
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
You are either lying or are a ghost. No way in hell did it take me less than an hour, just to UNPLUG the old one. Now, i didn't drop the fuse block either, but there was a LOT of cussing.am i the only one who has no problem putting that fuse block in and out? i've never had a problem with it.

MessyHonda
12-13-2009, 11:35 PM
i want to try this now...i have a brand new relay from honda

A20A1
12-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I just read something on a computer forum that then referred to a thread on another computer forum that referred back to techniques used in car manufacturing. So anyways it goes something like this.

Computer graphics card revived by baking in the oven. Oven also used to heat solder on car electronics. If car electronics fail tests they can go back into the oven and be reheated. RROD XBOX, stick in oven, reheat solder = GREEN XBOX.

If I remember correctly the solder joint was the problem for many dead relays so... Main relay dead, stick in oven, ???

anyways just thought I'd share.

Now this is just over simplified, as some components need to be removed that may be damaged by the heat of course.

A18A
12-14-2009, 12:01 AM
a
main relay dead, stick in oven, ???
PROFIT!!!!

ghettogeddy
12-14-2009, 12:18 AM
I just read something on a computer forum that then referred to a thread on another computer forum that referred back to techniques used in car manufacturing. So anyways it goes something like this.

Computer graphics card revived by baking in the oven. Oven also used to heat solder on car electronics. If car electronics fail tests they can go back into the oven and be reheated. RROD XBOX, stick in oven, reheat solder = GREEN XBOX.

If I remember correctly the solder joint was the problem for many dead relays so... Main relay dead, stick in oven, ???

anyways just thought I'd share.

Now this is just over simplified, as some components need to be removed that may be damaged by the heat of course.

i dont see why it would not work
ive seen the graphics card baking thing actually work lol

charliekuney
12-14-2009, 04:55 AM
You are either lying or are a ghost. No way in hell did it take me less than an hour, just to UNPLUG the old one. Now, i didn't drop the fuse block either, but there was a LOT of cussing.

Not lying, ask Mike.

Bluntman
12-14-2009, 06:29 AM
I am so sore this morning from all that bending and twisting, plus I have had three major spine surgeries ( One through the front where they move your intestines out of the way, and two through the back) so that didn't help. I am going to look at the solder joints on the old one right now with a magnifying to to see if I can visibly see minute cracks or not.

Bluntman
12-14-2009, 06:36 AM

Are the OEM antennas available? The ones at autoparts stores look right, but the base is about an inch too short, so the two screws won't line up. So I pulled one at the JY. But I would like to get the OEM one. Did you go dealer, or maybe Harada?

2drSE-i
12-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Not lying, ask Mike.

Oh i wasn't really calling you a liar, just emphasizing what a bitch of a job i thought it was.

Bass Man
12-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Why not take the dash out?? Not hard. ;)

Bluntman
12-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Why not take the dash out?? Not hard. ;)

Oh I almost considered it:D. That bar is just enough in the way to make it a bit tough. Dropping the cover below the steering column helped me get a better look at things a bit. After doing it, I have a bit better idea of what plugs to disconnect on the block to move it out of the way enough to get up in there, but it is still tough. But now I feel like I accomplished the task. But it is still no picnic.:cheers:

w261w261
12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
For those that haven't read it, here's my (post #1) adventures with the main relay.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61773&highlight=main+relay

lostforawhile
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Are the OEM antennas available? The ones at autoparts stores look right, but the base is about an inch too short, so the two screws won't line up. So I pulled one at the JY. But I would like to get the OEM one. Did you go dealer, or maybe Harada?

get rid of it and weld the hole up with some steel, it looks a lot better. if i had a sedan i would make an old school frenched antenna,it's really easy. and the entire antenna mast is hidden when down.

Bluntman
12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
get rid of it and weld the hole up with some steel, it looks a lot better. if i had a sedan i would make an old school frenched antenna,it's really easy. and the entire antenna mast is hidden when down.

No frenching, just my stock daily driver in great condition. I am however going to pull it in the booth and do a stock color 2 stage. Misty beige metallic.

But I am really glad I found this place by accident. It is always nice to find people that have already done whatever it is, and have the little trick tips.

Bluntman
12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
For those that haven't read it, here's my (post #1) adventures with the main relay.

That was a good read. I feel ya, I am 48 and things hurt now days.:cheers:

lostforawhile
12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
No frenching, just my stock daily driver in great condition. I am however going to pull it in the booth and do a stock color 2 stage. Misty beige metallic.

But I am really glad I found this place by accident. It is always nice to find people that have already done whatever it is, and have the little trick tips.

I just always hated the way honda put the roof antenna on

carotman
12-15-2009, 07:32 AM
I pryed the plastic casing and got the guts of the main relay out. Resoldered it and reinstalled it in the plastic case.

Bluntman
12-15-2009, 07:36 AM
I pryed the plastic casing and got the guts of the main relay out. Resoldered it and reinstalled it in the plastic case.

I have the old one on the bench right now. Can't see fractures in the solder with a magnifying glass ( I doubt I could have anyway ), but still gonna resolder and keep it on the shelf.

charliekuney
12-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Oh i wasn't really calling you a liar, just emphasizing what a bitch of a job i thought it was.

Wasn't accusing. ;)

Dr_Snooz
12-15-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm glad you posted this. I was going to go find it and post it 'cause it's so epic but you beat me to it.