PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel broke off

ihavean89lxi
12-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Coming home from work the other night I make a right turn a block from my house and boom I hear this noise from my rear driver's side wheel wheel like something broke. Then I hear something rubbing. Pull into my driveway and my wheel is sitting sideways in the rear drivers side wheel well. The sound was something breaking and the rubbing was my loose wheel wobbling back and forth in the wheel well. I haven't had the time or tools to jack it up and actually see what's going on in there yet. For now any guesses as to what could have happened and how much it's going to cost to fix?

nswst8
12-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Rear upper ball joint failure, are the lugs still intact?

markmdz89hatch
12-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Rear upper ball joint failure, are the lugs still intact?

that's exactly what happened (imo) because that's exactly what happened to my car when I popped my upper ball-joint

w261w261
12-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Coming home from work last night I make a right turn a block from my house and boom I hear this noise from my rear driver's side wheel wheel like something broke......

At least the story didn't say something like: "I was on a fast sweeper next to a bunch of trees when...." You are a lucky boy.

Civic Accord Honda
12-16-2009, 03:04 PM
yeah rear uca same thing happend to granite when he had his 3rd gen....

gotta keep up on that suspension guys

ihavean89lxi
12-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys for the help... And yes, I did feel pretty lucky. When I saw what happened I just laughed cause of all the places this could happen I was a block away from my driveway going 5mph on a Friday night, rather than going 75mph on the highway on the way to work, haha.

russiankid
12-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Check all your other ball joints. I would strongly recommend checking the front lowers and uppers.

w261w261
12-17-2009, 05:31 AM
I remember several years ago, I drove about 250 miles to my son's college in upstate NY. While on that trip, I kept hearing what sounded like something loose in the trunk. When I would go around a curve, there would be this "thwock" sound. When I got home, I found out it was the ball joint, which was not near to failing, but was loose. My question is, when they get bad, do they always make a sound like that, or can they just sit there silently until one day popping out?

markmdz89hatch
12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
they can just be silent until one day they just let go on you and then it's HOLD ON.

russiankid
12-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Like Mark said, they can be silent. I brought my Accord for inspection and the tech told me my rear right ball joint was loose. At first I was like um....if you say so. I had 30 days to fix it so that day I jacked it up and checked it. Sure enough, it was loose. It didn't make any noises what so ever.

Oldblueaccord
12-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Mine the rear tires would chop the outsides pretty good from the alignment moving around.

wp

DBMaster
12-18-2009, 01:28 PM
After reading about all the experiences here I checked mine and they were loose. Also, one started squeaking last year so I just replaced them. Very easy job!

Dr_Snooz
12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe I'll do that when I go to rear discs. That's if I can ever figure out how to get the rear calipers rebuilt...

MessyHonda
12-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Maybe I'll do that when I go to rear discs. That's if I can ever figure out how to get the rear calipers rebuilt...

just buy 1gen legend rear calipers...they bolt right up and you just have to grind down the tabs so it does not rub against the hub

Bass Man
12-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Man... 3geezus looks over us...

2 times I've had the spindle seperate from the LCA in the front and it wasn't when I was going twice the suggested speed around corners. Damn.

Bass Man
12-19-2009, 01:48 AM
they can just be silent until one day they just let go on you and then it's HOLD ON.
I can't hear the rears on my Sedan going down the road. I can feel it oversteer from the back end moving around, but other than that, I've felt them while the tires were off the ground and they moved about 1/2" either way.

markmdz89hatch
12-19-2009, 04:58 AM
I can't hear the rears on my Sedan going down the road. I can feel it oversteer from the back end moving around, but other than that, I've felt them while the tires were off the ground and they moved about 1/2" either way.

OMG man if they moved about a 1/2" either way I'd get them replaced asap. That's an accident waiting to happen right there.

As for the rear calipers, i'd just get rebuilt ones from AutoZone, NAPA, etc and be done with it. I've used rebuilds from AutoZone and have had no issues with them what-so-ever and they bolt right up because they're the oem SE-i caliper.

Bass Man
12-19-2009, 12:40 PM
That car stays off the road if I can help it. It's got no motor in it, now! My 200k feels really good! I don't remember if I jacked the rear up to feel it, but I tried to move the wheel in and out and it doesn't move at all compared to the sedamn.

russiankid
12-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Screw the piston out. The rest is just clips and seals for the e-brake mechanism.

russiankid
12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
OMG man if they moved about a 1/2" either way I'd get them replaced asap. That's an accident waiting to happen right there.

As for the rear calipers, i'd just get rebuilt ones from AutoZone, NAPA, etc and be done with it. I've used rebuilds from AutoZone and have had no issues with them what-so-ever and they bolt right up because they're the oem SE-i caliper.

I don't trust those reman calipers. I bought a set when I was doing the rear disk swap, so I rebuilt the fronts as well. Well the little dust boot was on crooked, so I removed the piston to fix it and found huge gouges in the piston that have been filled. I returned them the next day and just replaced the seals in my calipers.